Author Topic: Alternative to nightly buildes -> exporter addon  (Read 5197 times)

Offline PC_Nerd

• Multiple posting newcomer
Alternative to nightly buildes -> exporter addon
« on: May 27, 2008, 12:31:08 pm »
Hi,

Im new to codeblocks, and relatively new to CPP.  Im looking for an out of the box sort of solution similar to the binary download of Code::Blocks - but for the Exporter plugin.  I know its currently part of the nightly builds, but i dont particularly want to start using nightly builds right yet.
Is there an alternative download area at all for these plugins?

Thanks

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Re: Alternative to nightly buildes -> exporter addon
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 04:40:29 pm »
Exporter plugin = Source Exporter plugin? If that's the case, that plugin is also available in the latest stable version (8.02), but the option to output line numbers is only available in Nightly Builds.

There's currently no way to download just the plugin or updates to it without downloading a Nightly Build.

Offline PC_Nerd

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 11:01:15 pm »
yeah thats the exporter. 

ill reinstall codeblocks from a new download- ive got 8.02 but maybe the build date is different.

Would you reccomend building codeclocks from nightly build - for a beginner.  I read through its dependancies and it was somethign I thought would be too complicated but maybe youll dissagree

thnks
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 11:03:07 pm by PC_Nerd »

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 02:24:00 am »
Depending on your Operating System is how difficult it can be to install a Nightly Build. Windows and Mac are quite easy. For Linux, it depends on the distribution. You may want to check the steps to follow depending on it by searching the forums or consulting the wiki.

Offline PC_Nerd

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:39:40 am »
ok.

Thanks for all that.

Still not sure if i want to be using nightly builds.

btw - I know that they change regularly, but would i have to recompile the program daily or is it fine to bightly build it once and then leave it for a few months until the plugin I want becaomse part of the bin download?

Thanks

Offline Deschamps

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 10:14:51 am »
(..) btw - I know that they change regularly, but would i have to recompile the program daily or is it fine to bightly build it once and then leave it for a few months until the plugin I want becaomse part of the bin download? (..)

You don't need to build nor compile anything using C::B "nightly" builds. These are already binary packages (for lots of platforms, including Windows, some different Linux distros, etc), and they are distributed with all the contrib plugins, afaik. All you need is to install the proper binary for your system.

If you want to build C::B on your own, then you need to download the sources (from the svn repositories), but this is not needed if you don't want to do it but want to have the most recent versions for C::B (until a new release will be launched).

Regards.
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Offline PC_Nerd

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 02:54:24 pm »
thanks.

I thin il use the nightly build

thanks for clearing that up.

Offline PC_Nerd

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 04:55:55 pm »
um - just while i was thinking.  the latest "stable" release direct from the downloads area ( binaries) is 28 feb.  the one on the forums is something like 8 May isnt it?

Hoiw often is the "stable" release updated on teh front page?  ie - will it be long till the current nughtly build becomes the most recent version on the main download page at codeblocks.org/downloads ???

Thanks

Offline jfouche

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 05:43:47 pm »
Hoiw often is the "stable" release updated on teh front page?  ie - will it be long till the current nughtly build becomes the most recent version on the main download page at codeblocks.org/downloads ???

From the web site : Version numbering scheme changed
Monday, 18 February 2008 09:38
After a discussion recently held between the core team members, it was decided to change the version numbering scheme used for Code::Blocks. The new scheme will follow the "Year.Month" style, also known as the "Ubuntu version scheme".
So a new "stable" realease every 6 monthes
--
Jérémie

Offline Seronis

• Almost regular
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 02:16:53 pm »
"Ubuntu version scheme".
So a new "stable" release every 6 monthes

They only promissed a version scheme, aka how the version is NAMED.   Using a date instead of just a major.minor.bugfix naming convention.  There was no promiss about a release schedule.  New official versions will be as often as the designers determine there is enough progress (or enough major bugs fixed) to warrant it.

That said id LOVE 6 month release schedules.  I just dont see that being a standard.