Author Topic: Where Do I Find The wxDialog widget?  (Read 4720 times)

Offline level10

• Single posting newcomer
Where Do I Find The wxDialog widget?
« on: April 12, 2008, 12:02:45 am »
One of the tutorials labeled "WxSmith tutorial: Working with multiple resources", at this link:

http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=WxSmith_tutorial:_Working_with_multiple_resources,

instructs the user to add some widgets from within wxSmith's toolbar called: "wxFrame" and "wxDialog". I know a wxWidgets program if it's being hand-coded would have to use them internally as base clases when creating an application window and user-defined dialog, but how do I access these base classes from within wxSmith such that a gui representation of the new dialog or frame is available in the visual editor? These widgets don't appear on any of the toolbars located at the bottom of the design editor's window. The dialog toolbar at the bottom of wxSmith only seems to have entries for wxSingleChoiceDialog, wxDirDialog, wxMultiChoiceDialog, wxColourDialog, wxFileDialog.

In every other respect, as far as I can tell, C::B is working flawlessly.

Thanks in advance.

MingW: gcc v3.4.2
MingW: make v3.81
Installed: wxWidgets: v2.8.7
IDE: Code::Blocks v8.02 (win32 binary installer)
CPU: AMD Opteron 175

P.S. I also tried creating a project in Dialog mode, versus Frame mode, still no luck finding either of these two widgets. I'd like to design my dialogs from within wxSmith, have them activate via button presses in my main application (or some other appropriate event) and not have to hand-code dialogs and then patch the code back into the rest of the application code.

Offline level10

Re: Where Do I Find The wxDialog widget?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 03:00:14 am »
Would somebody please help me out here. I am new to usinbg CB and wxWidgets. If I am posting this question to the wrong forum I apologize, but then please direct me to the correct area to post this question.

In the intervening period since my original post for help with locating and using the wxDialog widget in wxSmith (referenced in the tutorial but not visible on the bottom tool bar of wxSmith), I've downloaded the CB source, and rebuilt everything. My thinking was that maybe the pre-compiled binary v8.02 for Windows doesn't include certain features or widgets by default. In any event, this did not clear up my issue.

I'd like to finish the tutorials so I can actually start using wxWidgets with the full benefit of the CB IDE.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

MingW: gcc v3.4.2
MingW: make v3.81
Installed: wxWidgets: v2.8.7
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN (nightly build)
CPU: AMD Opteron 175

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 05:26:30 pm »
This is a quote from the tutorial:
Code
New resources can be added from wxSmith menu. You can find following options there:

* Add wxPanel - this will add new panel into resource
    * Add wxDialog - this adds new dialog window
    * Add wxFrame - this adds new frame window.

so where is the problem ?

Look in the right place (wxSmith menu and not the toolbar) and everything should be there.

Offline level10

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 01:41:23 am »
Thanks, found it.

I don't know how I missed that one. I feel really ridiculous now for asking this question, but thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm trying to migrate my code from Dev-C++/Sally IDE and SmartWin to CB and wxWidgets, and I'm really just rushing through things and not paying as much attention as I should. I guess this is what happens when you try to run on too much coffee and not enough sleep.