Author Topic: A little help creating a project.  (Read 3192 times)

bizkut

A little help creating a project.
« on: February 28, 2008, 10:57:01 pm »
Hey everyone. I've recently become interested in learning C++. I have some background in Java, and would like to expand my repertoire of languages, so I went searching for some C++ IDE's. I found Code::Blocks, and installed it, the full version. It appears to be pretty helpful, but when I am trying to create a "Hello World" program, I am getting a bit of trouble.  I guess I'm just used to Java using a different format for runtime.  So, a few questions (Oh, yeah, I'm using the Vista version):

I can't save a new project I created, saying it has an invalid path ("Or maybe it's write-protected"). Is there a way to change this, or where should it be set to?

Why does it create 10 folders of "..." inside a project, before it reaches a document?

When I try to build HelloWorld.cpp, it says there is nothing to build, and keeps saying that until I say "cancel build", when it then brings up the cmd, with 2 lines of irrelevant text. In the "Build log" section of the console window...
When trying to build:
Code
-------------- Build: Debug in World ---------------

Linking stage skipped (build target has no object files to link)
Nothing to be done.
I'm not exactly sure how C++ runs, so I may just need to read up more on that to get this to work.

When trying to run:
Code
Checking for existence: bin\Release\HelloWorld.exe
Executing: "C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks/cb_console_runner.exe" "bin\Release\HelloWorld.exe"  (in .)
Process terminated with status 0 (0 minutes, 4 seconds)

The first line appears when it prompts me to build. The second line appears when I say no, and the third appears when i close the cmd that opens up.

So, any help here? These are all probably trivial problems, it's just that I'm not used to C++, and I'm getting fairly frustrated at all the files I'm downloading, hoping they will fix the problem. I think I have about 4 C/C++ parsers and debuggers, and 2 or 3 IDE's.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 11:07:18 pm by bizkut »

bizkut

Re: A little help creating a project.
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 04:07:13 am »
Ignore the above, I got it to work following the advice in this thread, by adding it as an additional tab in the Compiler settings.