Author Topic: ANSI Build/Windows ME compatibility  (Read 8244 times)

Offline Azra

• Single posting newcomer
ANSI Build/Windows ME compatibility
« on: February 27, 2008, 05:16:39 pm »
Hey guys,
I just wanted to ask, how i can get the newest nighties to work on Windows ME.
If there's no compatibility for ME in the newer nightlies, It'd be very nice if you could give me a link to the newest (even if its 2 years old xD) ANSI build.
Or, if you have the time, someone could explain how to build an ANSI-build from the source code. That would be really nice..

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: ANSI Build/Windows ME compatibility
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 05:21:38 pm »
we really stopped supporting ansi builds. Long long time someone created ansi builds, but I think none of them is still available.

Maybe someone else still knows how to do it, but I even forgot it ;-)
And sorry, we are not going to put time into that.

Offline Ibbur

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 06:59:39 pm »
Maybe you could use libunicows to enable unicode on Win9x.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 07:28:55 pm by Ibbur »

Offline Azra

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 07:03:00 pm »
Thanks, is it sufficient to download and install the runtime, or do I have to build CB with the lib?

Because I don't really know how to do it...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 07:18:49 pm by Azra »

Offline Ibbur

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 07:25:33 pm »
It is just an import lib for unicows.dll (aka MSLU) or Opencow from the Mozilla project. An assembly that wants to support unicode on Win9x/Me must link it as the the first library. I am not sure if it is enough to link Code::Blocks with libunicows, or if you have to link wxWidgets with it also/only.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 07:28:41 pm by Ibbur »

Offline Azra

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 11:51:57 pm »
I just sat there for about 6 hours and tried to compile Code::Blocks. the only thing i got were errors. a lot of them. I have absolutely no clue how to start and what to do - I never did someting like this before. I have the source for both wxWidgets and Code::Blocks. and I have a WindowsXP PC with a CB 8.02 and MinGW on it. since Everything I tried to do resulted in massive failure, I'll just simply ask: "What do I do now?". I'm kinda frustrated... All i wanted to do was to get CodeBlocks to run on a friend's computer who can't afford himself a newer one. And now I'm confronted with all that advanced stuff trying to kill me...

I can't even compile the wxWidgets dll (look at picture)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 12:23:25 am by Azra »

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 12:34:46 am »
I didn't try this. But you should first compile wxWidgets in Unicode mode with MSLU support enabled. Use the following command.
Code
mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc BUILD=release SHARED=1 UNICODE=1 MSLU=1 MONOLITHIC=1

Once the wx dll is compiled, you should be able to compile C::B and C::B should now run on Win ME.
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline Azra

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 01:47:11 pm »
If I write is that way he says that the DJGPP environment variable isn't set (I checked it - it is set: d:\asm\djgpp\djgpp.env). if i write an .exe after mindw32-make, he gives me same errors as in the picture...

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 05:50:13 am »
DISCLAIMER:
By downloading this build you are agreeing that, in all likelihood, you will receive no support while using it.

I have created a true ANSI build of Code::Blocks 8.02 and the wxWidgets DLL, which you can download here (11.3 MB).

In my preliminary testing on Windows 98 (in VMWare) it seemed to work. You may or may not need to install the Platform SDK shfolder.dll redistributable.
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline CryptonNite

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 09:51:53 am »
Hi, I'm new here.

OK, this thread is a litte bit old, but I managed Code::Blocks 8.02 to work under Windows 98 / ME and I want to let you know how I did this.
First, it is not as fast as under Windows 2000 and the Help menu doesn't work (C::B crashes) but all other functions are working well.
I needed a good IDE for Windows ME because I'm working on a driver for my good old 3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 (I have the original driver sources from 3Dfx).

C::B is running well on my german Windows ME.

All you have to do is to install "KernelEx 0.3.6" from http://x86.neostrada.pl/KernelEx and add codeblocks.exe=winxp to the file %WINDIR%\kexver.inf and install the Unicode layer from Microsoft.
Now you can start Code::Blocks and it will run. It looks like there are some bugs with Opera, because I had some crashes when running it at the same time.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 09:59:39 am by CryptonNite »

madman420

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 10:54:33 am »
TDragon, That Win9x ANSI build works great (on winME), Thanks a lot!

I tired compiling the source myself, according to:  http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Installing_Code::Blocks_from_source_on_Windows

...but, it wasn't until after I successfully compiled wx w/ ansi, that I realized I needed Code::Blocks to build itself!!

The differences between Windows 9x and XP / 2000 (in situations like this) is really minimal.  I wish others would quit helping Microsoft to obsolete their products (and therefore their customer's machines); Windows 9x compatibility can be had with only a few extra lines of code and avoidance of API calls that only work with specific (newer) versions of Windows.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 01:51:21 pm »
Windows 9x compatibility can be had with only a few extra lines of code and avoidance of API calls that only work with specific (newer) versions of Windows.
That is correct. But also the devs need Win9x/ME for development/testing which is not the case (at least to my knowledge). However - patches are welcome.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Conan Kudo

• Enano CMS Project
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 12:04:00 am »
I might make some builds for it, because I have been meaning to post my old installer as part of a portfolio of installers for potential contractors to see that I am competent at making installers. I have REALLY old builds of C::B that are Unicode/ANSI (build 2417 is the latest I have), so it might be a good idea for me to go ahead and set up a build environment to make a recent build (likely just the 8.02 release version).