Author Topic: is there wxformsbuilder plugin?  (Read 13043 times)

Offline indigo0086

• Almost regular
is there wxformsbuilder plugin?
« on: February 07, 2008, 07:52:42 pm »
I was wondering, there is a way to generate a codeblocks projects for wxforms builder, but there is no corresponding editor.  Is that generation just to setup the compile/link setting and you have to use the external application, or is there a way to integrate it within code::blocks like wxSmith?

Offline rjmyst3

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • wxFormBuilder
Re: is there wxformsbuilder plugin?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 01:23:44 am »
There is no wxformbuilder plugin.
The wizard generates files that make it easy to use wxformbuilder and code::blocks together, but you still need to use wxformbuilder as a standalone application.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 09:16:59 am »
[...]but you still need to use wxformbuilder as a standalone application.
...which you can easily integrate into the tools menu by yourself... so it's like "plugged in". ;-)
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline indigo0086

• Almost regular
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 01:32:59 pm »
well, I don't like wxformsbuilder anyway.  I guess I'm used to windows forms that it's pretty weird not having a solid tool for building gui.  I like wxSmith but it seems like it's missing important layout functionality.  I can handle the code, but the layout first is pretty important.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 02:00:07 pm »
I guess I'm used to windows forms that it's pretty weird not having a solid tool for building gui.
Not really. With the XRC concept that is implemented in wxWidgets it makes sure sense. Why? Cause the XRC file seperates the UI from the code. Thus you can use the XRC file with your Python code, C, C++, .NET - whatever. So it makes perfect sense to have a stand-alone tool for the UI only.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

Offline indigo0086

• Almost regular
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 03:23:18 pm »
That's how it is with wxSmith.  It separates the code from the ui.  Same with windows forms.  with C# it has partial classes so it totally separates the UI and the program code.  Also it's sizer based, so I can't really put thing where I want them without going through this hassle.

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 03:46:31 pm »
Also it's sizer based, so I can't really put thing where I want them without going through this hassle.

That happened to me, all those sizer things  :? at first you will see it as a hassle, but then you will love seeing your windows and controls get automatically sized for different resolutions. :P

Offline indigo0086

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 03:58:09 pm »
Yeah, but I like being able to put it where I want, and in the case of windows forms, anchoring it in place to fit proportions.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 08:50:22 pm »
with C# it has partial classes so it totally separates the UI and the program code.
I'm not sure if you can compare that to XRC... but nevermind.

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 10:50:56 pm »
Yeah, but I like being able to put it where I want, and in the case of windows forms, anchoring it in place to fit proportions.

In wxSmith you can put things where you like to - just don't use sizers (or delete them when they're in new resources), resize window to desired size (without it, window will shrink to keep size minimal) and put items where you want to. But such mode is not natural for wxWidgets so items may behave strange. And you loose the dynamic position/size stuff (AFAIK wxWidgets don't provide any method alternative to sizers) and of course some portability aspects of the application.

Missing layout stuff you mentioned is not a problem of wxSmith or wxFormBuilder - it's design choice of wxWidgets and we simply try to write some editors following the specification. Of course there's possibility to add extra layouting stuff as some kind of addon but that's quite big task requiring time for research and coding.

I already thought about separating view from logic, about alternative layout style and few other things, I hope to implement it one day but will never achieve performance of 20+ coders.

well, I don't like wxformsbuilder anyway.

Well, everyone can have personal opinion. I tested wxFormBuilder some time ago and it looked quite good (must admit that in many aspects much better than wxSmith :) ). So I hope that you guys at wxFormBuilder team won't take indigo's words personally. Keep up the good work :)

This thing with gui designing style etc reminds me simillar problem when users switch from Windows to Linux. At the beginning they don't feel comfotable in new environment (I also wasn't an exception) which doesn't mean that Linux is worse than Windows. I know a person who started with linux and can't do anything in windows because it's just "strange".
Here's simillar problem - when you started with other gui systems, it may be hard to switch to wxWidgets - just because it is different.

Regards
   BYO

Offline rjmyst3

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • wxFormBuilder
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 12:03:07 am »
well put, BYO!

Offline RJP Computing

• Almost regular
    • RJP Computing
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 03:26:45 am »
Thanks for the kind words BYO. You explained it perfectly.
- Ryan

Ubuntu/WinXP, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1000MB RAM, AC 97 Audio, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB

Offline indigo0086

• Almost regular
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 01:56:53 pm »
Thanks for the response BYO.  I wasn't really downing wxformsbuilder or wxsmith, but at the time I didn't know that there wasn't an equivalent to anchoring por docking as there is in Windows Forms.  That's how you an place someting on the screen and have it stay there despite the size.  I like sizers and all for containers that won't be in the form like panels and such, but being able to place something on those panels and not having to put sizers in them.

But I now see that it's not a fault of the tool but just the way wxWidgets is.  Even windows forms has layout tools but I just see anchors as a nice way to achieve relative layout.  I'm less interested in cross platform development as just getting a program set up but I guess if that problem comes up I'll have to address it.

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 12:16:18 am »
well put, BYO!
Thanks for the kind words BYO. You explained it perfectly.

thanx :) and greetings for all wxFormBuilder team

Thanks for the response BYO.  I wasn't really downing wxformsbuilder or wxsmith, but at the time I didn't know that there wasn't an equivalent to anchoring por docking as there is in Windows Forms.

No problem. We all have our personal habits and things we got used to. So I realize that it's normal to like or dislike things ;) We can't change it no matter what we do.

Regards
   BYO

Offline indigo0086

• Almost regular
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 05:34:55 pm »
Now I'm starting to like sizers...

damn you codeblocks! *shakes fist*