Author Topic: The 06 February 2008 build (4866) is out.  (Read 48017 times)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: The 06 February 2008 build (4866) is out.
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 01:57:35 pm »
It's not that it would be impossible, just that Apple does not want you to switch hardware.
Huh? I thought Apple managed to create a X86 compatible version of the OS. Does that mean although it could run on a native X86 hardware (VM) then it's forbidden by the MAC-OS EULA when I buy the MAC-OS software? So why do they sell it then as standalone product?

But I suppose you could get someone with a Mac to let you borrow it - over VNC or so ?
I don't know people with a MAC unfortunately. And those I meet that have one won't allow me VNC on it... for sure. ;-)

Or ask the guy in the Apple Store for a demonstration of the url "www.codeblocks.org" ;-)
LOL - that would be an option, indeed.

Ps.: We are getting quite off-topic... sorry.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline wobien

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 03:47:59 pm »
The parser used to never parse on my startup but now it seems to. 
I didn't download the 4861 build, but in the 4866 build I still have to do "Re-parse now" to get the symbols in my Default workspace parsed after startup. (Windows XP)

Offline afb

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 04:10:54 pm »
I thought Apple managed to create a X86 compatible version of the OS.
They did, yes. Unofficially in 2001 and officially since 2005... (Mac OS X version 10.4.4)

Does that mean although it could run on a native X86 hardware (VM) then it's forbidden by the MAC-OS EULA when I buy the MAC-OS software?
Yup.

So why do they sell it then as standalone product?
So that people who bought a Mac with a previous OS version pre-installed can upgrade ?

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 05:07:33 pm »
Is it just me, or is Apple even more abusive than Microsoft? You'd think they'd be happy if anyone buys their crap at all, but apparently not.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Auria

• Almost regular
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 05:24:10 pm »
Well one point for Apple not supporting install of OS X on all computers is one of driver issues - everyone makes windows drivers so windows does run everywhere, and linux can afford to be a bit more buggy at drivers (or harder to setup) since it's usually free and community-maintained, but not everyone makes mac drivers and Apple can't write them all by themselves. And they couldn't advertise mac OS X installs on the average PC without drivers, cause users would try it, it wouldn't work, OS X would get a bad reputation, etc. that's how they achieve the rock stability that makes OS X users love it

HOWEVER, I think *forbidding* it is totally abusive. They could just have marked it unsupported (and of course it's more money for them this way)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 05:33:59 pm by Auria »

Offline Auria

• Almost regular
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 05:27:41 pm »

Hmm, when would the wxDynamicLibrary bug kick in ? If they are loadable libraries, then they would probably be .bundle (or .so) rather than .dylib - since .dylib aren't loadable at runtime (only linktime) ? I don't have any problem with this when building with ./configure && make, did you have any more details (or the Bug number) on where it would apply ? Maybe it is when trying to build Code::Blocks with itself ?

As for the combos-in-toolbars, I have patched my wxWidgets configuration

Well by default the C::B build system generates .dylibs and not bundles or so files on my computer (not sure how to change that either). But .dylibs ARE definitely loadable at runtime, for instance dlopen() opens them just fine. I'm not sure why on your computer libraries build different from mine, it's perhaps a different version of autotools or something
The wxMac maintainer said wxDynamicLibrary would be re-written in the future to offer better support, anyway, so that problem will be fixed by itself.

I also heard the toolbar problem was fixed in SVN
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 05:30:52 pm by Auria »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 08:48:11 pm »
Does that mean although it could run on a native X86 hardware (VM) then it's forbidden by the MAC-OS EULA when I buy the MAC-OS software?
Yup.
Ah - ok. I honestly was not aware of that. I see reasons to do so from an Apple point of view but for me this means my dreams of having MAC OS in a VM are gone. :-(

So that people who bought a Mac with a previous OS version pre-installed can upgrade ?
Ok... sounds obvious. So this would mean they basically sell updates only.

Thanks a lot for that information! :D

With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline afb

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 10:06:24 pm »
Well by default the C::B build system generates .dylibs and not bundles or so files on my computer (not sure how to change that either). But .dylibs ARE definitely loadable at runtime, for instance dlopen() opens them just fine.

I think the main difference was with dlclose (as in: not available with dylib)
But I also think that with Mac OS X 10.5 up, they are both the same now...
(dyld is a rather complex subject). But e.g. Perl and Python uses -bundle.
It's possible that -dylib can be made to work for plugins too, but usually isn't.

I also heard the toolbar problem was fixed in SVN

Good to hear, maybe it can be patched in to wxWidgets 2.8 too then...

"In prior versions of Mac OS X only bundles (file type MH_BUNDLE) could be unloaded.
In Mac OS X 10.5 dynamic libraries (file type MH_DYLIB) can also be unloaded when using dlopen/dlclose."
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 10:08:08 pm by afb »

Offline zortich

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2008, 12:17:00 am »
Code completition   :shock: is working awful.
Where is no code completion for #include <X11/Xlib.h> is available.
What about to improve it?

Offline Wahooney

• Demon Onion Slayer
    • wahooney.net
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2008, 12:46:25 pm »
Could you guys please include the following into the next nightly build, it needs to be placed in lexer_squirrel.xml:
<Style name="Verbatim String"
   index="13"
   fg="0,0,255"/>

For those not in the know, it adds verbatim strings (ie. @"Hi, I'm a verbatim string") to the squirrel lexer.

Thanks guys :)
Fabricati Diem, Celerata!

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2008, 02:42:51 pm »
Could you guys please include the following into the next nightly build, it needs to be placed in lexer_squirrel.xml:

Added in rev 4869.  :)
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline Wahooney

• Demon Onion Slayer
    • wahooney.net
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 02:45:30 pm »
Thanks, Biplab :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 02:49:31 pm by Wahooney »
Fabricati Diem, Celerata!

Offline Grom

• Almost regular
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2008, 09:19:42 pm »
Is any way to write a plugin under the Windows, which will automatically install new nighties. Actually after some manipulations my suse  10.3 do this...
gcc+winXP+suse.

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2008, 03:10:39 am »
using repositories on linux distros is really easy, on windows is another story

Offline Grom

• Almost regular
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2008, 05:18:58 pm »
That is why I am talking about the updater plugin form windows. Have no time ti implement it by my self. In fact it can be done easily in Java and connected to the C::B. One weak of part time work.
gcc+winXP+suse.