Author Topic: TDM-GCC 4.2.3 for MinGW  (Read 19530 times)

Offline joubertdj

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: TDM-GCC 4.2.3 for MinGW
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 08:50:16 am »
I know that it's alpha, but what else can you say about it? Have u actually used it?

Yes I have, I am one of those dumb characters that try everything instead of sticking to what is working  :lol: , and I love the TDM releases. But I have found, which is rather realistic in my opinion, that any project (Especially something as complex as Qt/wxWidgets/STL/Boost), stick to the official releases, the latest one for MinGW being 3.4.5 unfortunately. So if an individual notes compilation issues of the project in question, he/she will be given attention, if it is a custom build (TDM) or technology preview or even an alpha build, they tend to ignore bug notices/issues/fixes. A project can't change source for every type of distribution that pops out, even if that distribution corrects issues related to official releases. Hence every project on the net (That has MinGW as a target platform) is eagerly waiting for the next "official" release that incorporates the new cool features of GCC, especially those optimizations.

Believe me, if you have a project (One that puts bread on the table, playing around is a different story) that depends ons several other libraries that needs compilation, stick with the old guns ... until those libraries convert to a newer "official" release ... sometimes even if they compile correctly (With unofficial releases), linking them all together is also a different story ...

PS. I Have a sneaky suspicion that TDM is helping the "official" MinGW release anyway ... ?

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:52:55 am by joubertdj »

Offline patlecat

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 11:22:48 am »
@Thomas: You're missing the point all together :P nothing less. But there is really no need to defend TDragon, since i didnt attack him.

@joubertdj: Your philosophy might be perfect for you and i respect that, but I didn't actually ask for it :wink:. But since u have no experience with TDMs 4.3 release I consider your topic closed.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 11:26:45 am by patlecat »

Offline joubertdj

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 12:30:23 pm »
But since u have no experience with TDMs 4.3 release I consider your topic closed.

... okay ... :shock: