Author Topic: stand alone version for wxWidgets program  (Read 3791 times)

Offline wobien

• Multiple posting newcomer
stand alone version for wxWidgets program
« on: January 10, 2008, 05:00:06 pm »
I made a little wxWidgets-based program that I would like to give to a friend. He is not very computer-wise, so it would be best to have just one file that has to be double clicked, no installing etc.
Can I make a version that does not depend on wxmsw28_gcc_custom.dll and mingwm10.dll?

Offline dje

• Lives here!
Re: stand alone version for wxWidgets program
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 05:40:46 pm »
Hi !

Concerning wxmsw28_gcc_custom.dll, you just need to build statically wxWidgets and then link your exe to it.
I don't know for mingwm10.dll

Dje

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 05:49:53 pm »
Concerning wxmsw28_gcc_custom.dll, you just need to build statically wxWidgets and then link your exe to it.
Note that the executable size will be huge... but I guess size doesn't matter in your case.

You can get rid of mingwm10.dll if you don't use threads. You will have to compile wxWidgets without thread support (--disable-threads), however.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline wobien

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 09:50:19 pm »
Thanks for your anwers.
I do use threads in this program. It launches some long processes that would otherwise freeze the app.
So I cannot get rid of mingwm10.dll
Then it is probably better to make a self-starting CD-ROM, so it is no problem to use the dll's.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 10:04:35 pm »
Thanks for your anwers.
I do use threads in this program. It launches some long processes that would otherwise freeze the app.
So I cannot get rid of mingwm10.dll
Then it is probably better to make a self-starting CD-ROM, so it is no problem to use the dll's.
You can put the dll and your program into a self-executing zip-( or 7z-)file, that extracts everything in the same directory.