Author Topic: About wxwidgets and different compilers  (Read 6965 times)

Priit

About wxwidgets and different compilers
« on: August 20, 2005, 11:27:49 am »
I am not a programmer, but time-to-time i like to do some code. I am using three compilers: mingw, digitalmars and ms toolkit 2003.
My question is:
If i compile wxwidgets with dm for example, will all those *.lib work with mingw or ms toolkit too?

Actually i've got a second question too. When i compile wxwidgets with dm, why it build it in debug mode(extra d in file names).
Command i used:
Code
make -f makefile.dmc BUILD=release SHARED=1 MONOLITHIC=1 USE_XRC=1 UNICODE=1 VENDOR=cb

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
Re: About wxwidgets and different compilers
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 11:36:01 am »
I am not a programmer, but time-to-time i like to do some code. I am using three compilers: mingw, digitalmars and ms toolkit 2003.
My question is:
If i compile wxwidgets with dm for example, will all those *.lib work with mingw or ms toolkit too?
unfortunately no - you have to build wxWidgets for each compiler separately

Actually i've got a second question too. When i compile wxwidgets with dm, why it build it in debug mode(extra d in file names).
Command i used:
Code
make -f makefile.dmc BUILD=release SHARED=1 MONOLITHIC=1 USE_XRC=1 UNICODE=1 VENDOR=cb
you need the cd-version of DM which includes smake with which you can build wxWidgets in different flavours.
the make util supplied in the free version of DM is somewhat limited and doesn't support all options.
you only can build a static debug build of wxWidgtes with make if you are not editing your own modified make-files...

Priit

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 12:05:14 pm »
Thanks for your answer.

Coming back to building wxwidgets. Which compiler is the best to develop wx programs under windows xp (compiling/linking time, filesize etc).
I know mingw is the slowest and produces biggest executable size. I've used mingw with dev-cpp, but is there any difference compared to mingw vs toolkit 2003 or mingw vs dm.

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 12:22:04 pm »
for my own projects i use DM (i've bought the CD) because it's really fast and has a good debugger

MinGW gcc has it's drawbacks as you said, but also has its advantages - i like using it too.
  • gcc's link-time can drastically be reduced if using a dll-version of wxWidgets (build with make option SHARE=1)
    and use WXUSINGDLL when compiling your application.