Author Topic: Cross compiling linux binaries from Win32 system  (Read 6481 times)

Offline Drydive

• Single posting newcomer
Cross compiling linux binaries from Win32 system
« on: December 13, 2007, 10:15:12 am »
Hi,

I am using Codeblocks on a WindowsXP system for Win32 software development. I have seen that codeblocks running on a linux system
is able to cross compile win32 binaries. I would like to go the opposite direction using my Codeblocks under WindowsXP to cross compile
a linux binary.

So some question arise:
1.) Is it possible to do cross compiling linux binaries from Codeblocks running on a win32 system?
2.) What do I need to do this with Codeblocks?
2.) Is there any tutorial for this?

A change of my OS from Win32 to linux is not possible.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Cross compiling linux binaries from Win32 system
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 10:39:39 am »
1.) Is it possible to do cross compiling linux binaries from Codeblocks running on a win32 system?
Yes.

2.) What do I need to do this with Codeblocks?
A native cross-compiler suite, which you probably need to build on your own. I can only tell from my personal experience: I used to use QNX which has a cross-compiler suite (for QNX binaries, obviously). There you built the executables on Windows and transfer them to the target. Worked perfectly with C::B.

With regards, Morten.

Ps.: This poll is stupid. Why did you create it?
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 11:12:51 am »
Ps.: This poll is stupid. Why did you create it?
The more interesting question is:  How did you create it?

I denied "create poll" privilegue to the Newcomer group, so this shouldn't be possible at all... apparently the forum software doesn't respect that (or I've done it wrong).
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Drydive

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 01:24:36 pm »
Hi Morten,

I hoped that someone did already the job and build up a native cross-compiler suite.
Unfortunately not, but thank you very much for your answer.

Dear Thomas
Sorry I pressed the wrong button. Instead of opening a new topic I did open a poll by pressing
the "Post new Poll button" on the forums website. I apologize for any inconveniences you have.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 01:45:43 pm »
Dear Thomas
Sorry I pressed the wrong button. Instead of opening a new topic I did open a poll by pressing
the "Post new Poll button" on the forums website. I apologize for any inconveniences you have.
No no, you misunderstood. You should not be able to press the wrong button at all, as it should not show a "Poll" button to you.
I have remoded that functionality for new users because you're not the first one accidentially hitting the wrong button. Just, it seems that it still works...
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."