Author Topic: Some features related to code completion  (Read 13782 times)

Offline csh

• Single posting newcomer
Some features related to code completion
« on: April 05, 2008, 08:32:20 am »
Is it possible to add the following features to CodeBlocks?

• When I write printf(, I can't see the prototype of the function printf, while I can see the prototypes of some C and C++ functions. CodeBlocks can be able to show the prototypes of all the functions.
  • A short explanation of the current used function shown with the prototype of the function (like on Visual Studio). These explanations may be taken from a definition database file, and the database definition file format can be developed if there isn't such a format.
  • Making CodeBlocks use code completion database files like on Visual Studio intellisense.
  • When a function prototype is shown, the name and return type of that function isn't shown. Making CodeBlocks show also the name and return type of the used function.
  • When a function has more than one prototype, each prototype may be shown on a different page, and each page may be shown by up/down arrow keys like on Visual Studio.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 02:10:47 pm by csh »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Some features related to code completion
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 12:53:09 pm »
...you did search the forums before, right?! :lol:
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline csh

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 02:16:33 pm »
No, I didn't do search so much for these bugs, but I am using CodeBlocks so much, and I see that new versions become better and better. If all the bugs I mentioned were already discussed on the forum, I am sorry.

Offline joubertdj

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 06:45:08 pm »
csh,

Code completion is a daunting task. If you read what Ceniza is doing you would understand the complexity of the whole process.
Parsing C functions is a breeze compared to C++. I myself is waiting with high anticipation to see what Ceniza and his team comes up with!

Best regards,

Offline csh

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 10:27:13 pm »
Thanks for your reply joubertdj.
I hope Ceniza and his team will be successful on this project. If I can, I want to implement some features related to code completion.

Offline joubertdj

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 10:37:13 pm »
csh,

Check out this part of the forum: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,7419.60.html

You will see that Ceniza has a SVN repository there. Check it out and contact Ceniza directly if you want to help with code completion.

Keep in mind that he is looking for coding help, not additional comments/suggestions. So if your coding skills are anything worth while, he would surely appreciate any help.

best regards,

joubertdj

Offline csh

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 11:27:04 pm »
I have never used the SVN system before. Is it necessary to learn the SVN system? In addition, I don't know how CodeBlocks works. If I can learn how CodeBlocks works, I can implement a database system for code completion and some features better than on Visual Studio. I have so many ideas for CodeBlocks.

Should I read the source codes of CodeBlocks to learn how CodeBlocks works? It will consume much more time than reading its schematics and development documentations if there are.

Offline EnterTheNameHere

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 05:43:13 am »
SVN or other version managment system is really great thing.

It can help You keep track of changes to sorce code,
so You can revert earlier version, when needed etc.
It is also must when You want to work with other programmers
( I thing every software developers use it, or should )

for example:
Three or more programmers want to work on a same file at the same time:
Without some managment, how do these programmers would work,
when only one can work on file, so others have to wait for his work done?
With managment, every programmer can do his work,
the versioning system manages changes to the source so when programmers
sends their work back to server, the system save every version( every change )
done to the source file( so You can eventually revert the file to the state before any change )

Unless the work of every programmer doesn't interfere with others, system can also
merge those changes into one final file, so when You download the file from server,
all changes done to the file by there programmers are already in.

I hope I explained the purpose of versioning system, so You can see that it is really important,
and believe me, it is not so hard to learn and use it. Go on and learn SVN.
And sorry if You already know it, but for some weird matter You don't want learn SVN..

There is also a nice manual of SVN on their homepage..

For the other part of your question, search forum/wiki for developers info, and when You don't have enought info, look to source

Good luck

EnterTheNameHere

Offline csh

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 01:15:41 pm »
EnterTheNameHere, thank you very much for the explanation. I decided to learn svn before. When I develop an application or add a new feature to an application, I compress the whole project folder, and add an incremented number to the filename, then backup the file. SVN seems much more better solution even for this situation.