Author Topic: C::B crashes on Qt project creation  (Read 2681 times)

srodriguez

C::B crashes on Qt project creation
« on: December 03, 2007, 06:46:36 pm »
Product Details:
Code::Blocks 1.0 Release Candidate 2 Nov. 14 2005, 01:22:39 -wx2.6.1 (Linux Unicode)

OS       : Linux 2.6.48.8-0.7-default i686
System : Open Suse 10.2(i586)
Desktop: KDE 3.5.5 release 4.5.6

Problem description:
Hi,
I have had many obstacles linking with other IDEs a Qt based GUI application, so I decided to give Code::Blocks a try. I am new to Linux, so the whole thing about getting the nightly build and recompile Code::Blocks is somewhat obscure to me, so I decided to get the released 1.0 RC2 version from a link posted in one of your forums (the one gotten from "Download").
I downloaded the rpm (not sure what this is, but I got it), then when I tried to open it, it gave me the option to install it using Yast, at which I said 'ok'. Well, the product is installed.
When I try to use it, i.e. Project->New->Qt App..... and so on. CB crashes just as it creates the project.
I read that this version is not the best, but where can I get the best ?, the Linux links are not as good as the Windows links for downloading C::B.

Please help me.... and understand I am new to Linux.

Thanks in advance.
God bless you,

Saul Rodriguez
Software Engineer
Moorpark, CA

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Re: C::B crashes on Qt project creation
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 01:09:16 am »
I am new to Linux, so the whole thing about getting the nightly build and recompile Code::Blocks is somewhat obscure to me, so I decided to get the released 1.0 RC2 version from a link posted in one of your forums

RC2? Ugh! Eww, no!  :shock:

Sorry, but RC2 is buggy (as buggy as a rotten meat full of roaches infected with parasites  - whether or not the parasites are infected too is up to your imagination  :lol: - note: this is my personal opinion), obsolete, and unsupported. Instead, we'll tell you how to compile one of the nightlies.

0) Wipe your RC2 install, package managers allow you to uninstall RPM's. You might need to ask for help in an irc linux channel or a forum just in case.
1) Download and install the wxGTK package, it should be 2.8.4 or 2.8.6 (your distro package manager should allow you to install it easily). You might have to find it since the package name varies between distros.
2) Download the codeblocks nightly from sources and extract into one of your directories. Hopefully you can use it using GUI, otherwise you'll have to type one of those cryptic tar commands which I don't remember :P
3) I don't remember well, but there are installation instructions for linux, be sure to checkout the readme's and stuff.
Change to the directory you extracted and type the following lines from command line:

Code
./bootstrap
./configure
make
sudo make install

I don't remember exactly if ./configure was what you had to type, but the bootstrap script will tell you what to do next.
I really forgot if there was any problem when doing these steps, but I'm relatively new to Linux too, so don't worry, we'll assist you in your experiences.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 01:17:45 am by rickg22 »