Author Topic: Windows Vista: Hunting bugs...  (Read 6215 times)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Windows Vista: Hunting bugs...
« on: November 27, 2007, 09:12:18 pm »
Dear Windows Vista users,

I am hunting possible bugs in C::B and want to make sure:

1.) Does any of you (Vista users) out there see the "Start page" -> (the HTML based notebook page with "recent projects" etc...) in C::B?
2.) Is file extension registration (association) working or does C::B request this every time?

With regards, Morten.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 09:18:11 pm by MortenMacFly »
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Windows Vista: Hunting bugs...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 09:49:15 pm »
about your second question I have something to add.

On my WinXP SP2 system (virtual machine inside OpenSuse 10.3) CB has been build and running from svn for some weeks. And CB was the app to deal with .cpp, .h and so on.
CB didn't ask me that anymore.

Then last week I installed M$ Visual Studio 2008 Express, which, what else would you expect, took the above mentioned extensions.

So when CB started again, it asked if it should take those extensions back. Damn right I told CB to do that, which it does but at every startup it asks for it again.

So a few question pop up here :
1) has the code of CB for dealing with extension changed recently and was a bug introduced
2) M$ Vs 2008 needs .NET 3.5, might the install of thet .NET 3.5 framework be the pain in the ass causing those things not to work correctly anymore ?
3) does M$ VS pull some other tricks on me
4) ...

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 02:36:41 pm »
2.) Is file extension registration (association) working or does C::B request this every time?
I am not using Vista (and will not be, unless I will be forced one day), but if I have read that KB article a year and a day ago correctly (can't find it now), this is a feature of Vista. They deliberately broke this (and many other things) for their own perverse and f@#!ing stupid sense of false security.

Yeah, it's a good thing Microsoft added so much security to Vista. As can be read on the net, Turbine recently revealed that they hacked around Vista's privilege mode, so you no longer need to run their games in elevated mode, to do admin-level stuff. I feel a lot safer knowing that this is possible.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 02:47:27 pm »
for their own perverse and f@#!ing stupid sense of false security.
Come on... calm down - this is in no way related to Vista security if this doesn't work.
I thought the same 2 month ago... and meanwhile... guess what: I like Vista. ;-)
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Propagator

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 09:41:20 pm »
I'm running CodeBlocks SVN 4540 on Vista. I'm using CodeBlocks together with MingW32 as my exclusive development tools. This means, I have no other IDE installed that could compete with CodeBlocks for the file associations.

With this configuration both of the items for which you asked for feedback (start page and file association) work perfectly.

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 09:43:46 pm »
could you try with the latest nightly ? Todays.

See if the file associations issues turn up.

Offline Propagator

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 10:01:49 pm »
Just downloaded the latest nightly (SVN 4681). Completely removed old CodeBlocks folder, unpacked latest nightly, wx dll, and mingwm10.dll into new CodeBlocks folder.

Start page still works. File associations still starts CodeBlocks. However, to check the file associations, I just double-clicked a random .cpp file. This launches CodeBlocks -> Tip of the day -> close. Then I'm left with an empty workspace (i.e. double-clicked item does not show up). If I then exit CodeBlocks it asks to save the changed layout. While the changed layout message is shown, the double-clicked item suddenly (with some delay) appears in the background. If I don't wait for this delay to pass (immediately press No in the save layout message), CodeBlock crashes on exit.

Hmmm, wait, just tried to reproduce the above behavior: I have to say, the double-clicked item does not always appear during the changed layout dialog. But CodeBlocks always crashes on exit when the item didn't show up.

If I can find some systematic thing that triggers the double-clicked item to show up, I'll post again...

Offline Propagator

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 10:33:01 pm »
Okay, found some systematics: A double-clicked item just takes a huge amount of time to open (on the order of one minute). If one exits CodeBlocks before this has happened, it crashes. If one waits, everything is fine. Once CodeBlocks is open after such a waiting period, double-clicking additional items works as it should (i.e. no additional waiting times).

Edit: double-clicking additional itmes already works as it should when the initial item did not yet show up...

The waiting time isn't affected by whether I just leave the computer alone during the wait or I continue to work with some other (at least low CPU load) program.

This behavior is the same whether the double-clicked item is a .cbp file or a .cpp file. Opening files via file dialog or start page works as it's supposed to (i.e. no unusual delays or crashes on exit).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 10:34:55 pm by Propagator »