Author Topic: Why CB over V2005express, etc.  (Read 15229 times)

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
Re: Why CB over V2005express, etc.
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2007, 05:39:37 am »
The lack of plugin support can cause problems.  Microsoft did explicitly to limit the usage of the express version, if they hadn't most likely the users would of created enough free plugins to make the express version so usable most people would not upgrade.

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
    • Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2007, 09:12:13 am »
I use VSExpress as the compiler, but I prefer Code::Blocks as the IDE. I just want something small I can type in, and hit a button to compiler + run, not some monstrosity that will bring even my new PC to it's knees.  :lol:
C::B Wishlist
~BOYCOTT THE EVIL YELLOW BOXES~

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2007, 12:31:03 pm »
The lack of plugin support can cause problems.  Microsoft did explicitly to limit the usage of the express version, if they hadn't most likely the users would of created enough free plugins to make the express version so usable most people would not upgrade.

I don't use plugins with express, but they do work. MS was complaining that someone violated the license when they wrote a plugin for express. So, it is the lack of legal support, maybe.

Tim S
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline shajunxing

• Multiple posting newcomer
  • Sorry for my poor English ;)
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 12:28:17 pm »
C::B is small, portable and free, so it can be easily packed and copied to my students. In addition, gcc is better than vc in some aspacts. For example: gcc uses msvcrt.dll while vc uses msvcr70.dll or msvcr71.dll. msvcrt.dll is included in all windows version and actually there is basically no differences between these dlls.