Author Topic: wxSmith still confused by the content it tries to manage  (Read 7575 times)

Offline szczepan

• Multiple posting newcomer
wxSmith still confused by the content it tries to manage
« on: September 26, 2007, 03:26:27 pm »

Long version: sorry guys/gals, but seeing a GUI builder being developed for so many years that STILL fails to update the variable name in the widget tree when the property is edited in the property sheet just makes you want to bang at your desk with your forehead, doesn't it?

Short version, just three words: model, view, controller.

Offline cyberkoa

• Plugin developer
  • Almost regular
    • http://
Re: wxSmith still confused by the content it tries to manage
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 06:11:40 pm »
hi. I believe you are referring to the case where after changing the variable name , and clicking on any place other than in the properties grid . If you are clicking on other properties inside the property grid , or press a tab , it will not be a problem.

I think this is because the property grid component used in wxSmith is come from wxPropertyGrid (a 3rd party component), and in your case , it will not trigger the "OnChange" event in the wxPropertyGrid, and subsequently will not trigger the "code change" in wxSmith

I think byo can give a better & detail explanation.

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 09:27:48 pm »
Long version: This is Open-Source, we, the maintainers, usually have nothing but simple "thank you" or "your work sucks" from users of our software. In your case it looks like the second one. So your post makes me want to bang at my desk with my forehead (actually in my case it even can't be called desk, I simply can't afford any desk yet) and AFAIK I've already fixed the issue you've described. Anyway, thanks for your opinion. If you still think it's my bug, please send bug report. You can also prepare some patch if you'll find the reason of bug.

Short version: Try to contribute yourself, it makes nice overwiew of how it looks like from my side.

Sorry, but I'm tired after long day in work, and there are still some more important bugs in wxSmith which I want to fix first. Good night.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 11:11:30 pm »

Long version: sorry guys/gals, but seeing a GUI builder being developed for so many years that STILL fails to update the variable name in the widget tree when the property is edited in the property sheet just makes you want to bang at your desk with your forehead, doesn't it?

Short version, just three words: model, view, controller.

Short version, just three words: use something else
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline szczepan

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 12:03:30 am »
Short version, just three words: use something else

I do.

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 02:13:22 pm »
For me is a great tool, I'm developing a commercial application at my job, and I use wxSmith. It does the job and thats what matters for me. Some little inconveniences, but jey is free. You can't ask for so much. What I know is that this tool really speeds up the development of gui and thats great! :D

Is difficult to work on a full-time job and also dedicate time to another job (for free). If every people on this community stop developing then we are not going to have any of these great tools for free. So come on people you should be thankful for the existance of tools like this one and the developers working on it. Thats how our precious linux was born.  :wink:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 02:15:12 pm by JGM »

Offline jomeggs

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 02:48:12 pm »
I tried a lot of IDE's in the last years, free and commerial's. Codeblocks is the only one, which provides the ability to develop applications under WINDOWS, LINUX and MAC in the same environment. In most cases you can even use the same project files. You can use nearly all known compilers. You can talk to the developers of the IDE and there is a great community standing for help if you are on trouble. You have to pay nothing. :D

I can't believe, that you'll find a better bid. :?

Offline Jan van den Borst

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 03:59:30 pm »
It works very well for me and its getting better and better...

Thanks for your great work,
Jan

Offline Grom

• Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 07:45:08 pm »
The C::B needs in release to bring more people to help with wxSmith. At list with new components. Today there is a tool to add new components. Lot's of people will do that if you guys will make a new release.
gcc+winXP+suse.

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 07:50:57 pm »
We have a project that is supposed to gain lots of functionality from plugins, but it never leaves a stable base for plugins.  It makes it hard to for a developer  plugins.