Author Topic: Getting rid of the disassemby window!  (Read 9319 times)

Offline pir

• Multiple posting newcomer
Getting rid of the disassemby window!
« on: September 26, 2007, 03:01:00 pm »
I am trying to debug some code but when I single-step through, I get the disassembly window. How can I just step through the C statements without needing umpteen mouse clicks to step through the equivalent assembler?

I am sure an earlier nightly build did this fine but the default now seems to be the disassembly window. Can anyone tell me how to select single-stepping through the high-level code?

Peter

evenflcw

Re: Getting rid of the disassemby window!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 12:38:19 am »
I'm having the same issue. It used to be that one mouse click stepped one line, but all of a sudden the next time I opened codeblock the disassembly window shows and I don't seem to be able to turn it off permanently (keeps getting reactivated). And I'm quite sure I haven't updated since my initial install. So to me it seems codeblocks just felt like bitching. :)

Other than that codeblocks has been a sweet experience.

What would be the proper way to disable the disassembly window permanently!?

Dan

Offline pir

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 12:00:04 pm »
... but all of a sudden the next time I opened codeblock the disassembly window shows ...

Worrying!

BTW: Dan, Have you tried Insight? I don't which OS/compiler you are using but I am using mingw for which there is a port. Unfortuantley, you have to run it externally to C::B. (It seems you have to run the insight executable from within the Msys shell which isn't written down anywhere!) Running gdb from within CodeBlocks, my program just stopped with a large return code and that was it. But in Insight, I got a whole raft of diagnostics which pinpointed my bug exactly. Presumably it's a matter of what the spawning process does with information generated by gdb?

Still be interested in knowing how to single step C in C::B though...

Peter

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 12:21:49 pm »
Have you tried to close the disassembly window in the debugging-session and then save the current Layout under View -> Layouts ?

Offline pir

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 03:05:34 pm »
Have you tried to close the disassembly window in the debugging-session and then save the current Layout under View -> Layouts ?

That doesn't appear to work...

evenflcw

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 02:45:49 am »
Ahem, it seems the disassembly window only appears when I click Next instruction, which is probably the way it should be, maybe. If I click Next line everything is as it should be. Don't know why I started using next instruction all of a sudden. So problems solved or there never really was one for me. I was just goofy.

Other than that, I'm using Code::Blocks with mingw GCC and GDB quite successfully. Never heard of or used Insight. I'm not an experienced programmer (which you can probably tell by now).

Offline pir

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 09:32:23 pm »
Ahem, it seems the disassembly window only appears when I click Next instruction... If I click Next line everything is as it should be.

Ah! A rather fine distinction but yes, "Next line" does work and "Next instruction" throws up the disassembly window. (Thinks: How many people actually debug at assembler level? I can't say I ever have in 20-odd years of programming!)

Nonetheless, Insight appears to be a much more 'complete' debugger. Well worth a look for those very obscure problems.

Peter