Author Topic: Settings don't get saved (svn 4454)  (Read 48062 times)

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Settings don't get saved (svn 4454)
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 10:21:14 pm »
How did you compile (or try to compile) the sources ?
If I use C::B to compile C::B  it does not work,  but if I do it from command-line there's no problem.

Just type (in root of the C::B source-tree):
Code
./bootstrap
./configure --enable-contrib
make
make install

I only tried it until make, because I have latest nightlies installed as deb-Packages, build from svn, but it works like a charm.
I used a fresh download from svn4483 in a clean directory.

Edit:
sorry it works, even from inside codeblocks. I forgot to change my standard compilers, before I started C::B. It does not work with gc-4.3 from debian-experimental, I use a shell script to switch to 4.2, I ran it before commandline compiling, but not before starting codeblocks.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 10:36:10 pm by jens »

Offline johne53

• Regular
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 07:56:19 am »
In my case, the default compiler was already set correctly from previous C::B sessions so I decided to try your suggestion of 'make'.

At the line ./configure --enable-contrib I get the following error:-

configure: error:
                wxWidgets must be installed on your system.

Please check that wx-config is in path, the directory
                where wxWidgets libraries are installed (returned by
                'wx-config --libs' or 'wx-config --static --libs' command)
                is in LD_LIBRARY_PATH or equivalent variable and
                wxWindows version is 2.6.0 or above.

I'm pretty confident that wxWidgets is installed so this must be either be lack of wxWindows or something to do with LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Q1) Do I need wxWindows on a Linux (OpenSuse) system?
Q2) Where would I find (and change) the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable?

Q3) Why is everything so tortuously difficult under Linux???

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 09:47:51 am »
try the wx-config command from console, you need it to set the flags and library-paths for wxWidgets.
Do I need wxWindows on a Linux (OpenSuse) system?
wxWindows is the former name of wxWidgets.
I don't know in which packet you find wx-config on (Open-)Suse.

Why is everything so tortuously difficult under Linux???
For me it's much more difficult under Windows, but I use linux (with pauses, without any computer) since the early 1990's

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 10:47:10 am »
At the line ./configure --enable-contrib I get the following error:-

It seems that the wxWidgets-devel package doesn't create any symbolic links during installation. You have two ways to fix this.
1) Create a symbolic link with the following commands.
Code
cd /usr/bin
su
ln -s /usr/lib/wx/config/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8 wx-config

2) Or
Issue the following command to configure C::B.
Code
./configure --enable-contrib --with-wx-config=/usr/lib/wx/config/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline johne53

• Regular
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 11:01:40 am »
Thanks guys. It turned out that under wxWidgets 2.8.x.x the file wx-config seems to have been renamed to wx-config-2.8.  I renamed it back to wx-config and everything seems to be progressing.

Just out of interest, what is a typical time taken for a full build? This one's been going for 40-50 minutes and (assuming it's processing the files alphabetically) it looks like I'm in for a long haul. I'm just about up to compilerTcc.cpp (which I'm sure has been done at least twice before).

[Edit...] Forget that - it just finished. One more question though.... how did it know whether to build a Debug version or a Release version?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 11:08:36 am by johne53 »

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 11:15:27 am »
[Edit...] Forget that - it just finished. One more question though.... how did it know whether to build a Debug version or a Release version?

By default a Release version with Debug symbols is compiled. Which means if you strip the binary and dynamic libraries, you'll get the Release version.

Offline johne53

• Regular
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 11:16:26 am »
Groan....  :( I just sat through a 50 minute build. Then I did my 'make install' (as root).

Now when I try to start codeblocks I get an error:-

codeblocks: symbol lookup error: codeblocks: undefined symbol: cbEVT_QUERY_VIEW_LAYOUT

[Edit...] Sorry - got embroiled in various other stuff. A re-boot seems to have cured the above error and it seems at least to have (partially) solved my original problem. If I change (say) some global compiler settings, they're now being remembered - but if I change a project's build target, that still isn't being remembered.

Can anyone take a look at this problem:- http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,6739.0.html

I've had permanent problems with check boxes ever since 22nd August and I'm still having them now, even after building from source. I can't believe that no-one else has found this. It's 100% repeatable for me....
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 01:46:07 pm by johne53 »

Offline johne53

• Regular
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2007, 12:00:41 pm »
If I change (say) some global compiler settings, they're now being remembered

I seem to have spoken too soon here. Basically, saving changes to the IDE is now very erratic. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Can anyone confirm whether this is a known bug? I suspect it must be - because it was present in the last OpenSuse rpm package that I installed and it's still there, even though I've now downloaded and built the source code.

If it isn't a known problem I'll try some of the earlier suggestions - such as turning off plug-ins and seeing if I can provide a backtrace.

Offline Albenejean

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2007, 08:29:29 pm »
Sorry but I didn't have time to read the entire post.

In a nightly, I had pointed this:
Bug Found.

1_ Go to Settings->Compiler and Debugger
2_ Clear the directories in "Search directories"
3_ Go to "Toolchain Executables" and make an Autodetect.
4_ Click OK.
The directories are not set in Search Directories.

Now, make 1, 2 and 3, but click on CANCEL instead of OK.
The directories are set...

Funny, isn't it....

[EDIT]: Oooopppppsss, I have forgotten:
Tested on Windows XP, with SVN 4413

I don't know if this can help you...

Offline johne53

• Regular
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 11:03:54 am »
Well at least I'm not the only user experiencing unpredictable behaviour at the moment.

Any developers care to comment? Is there a reason why C::B has suddenly become so erratic in so many different areas?

I've posted several reports recently about config changes not being saved reliably / debugging having become very unreliable / checkboxes that don't update properly etc. But there doesn't seem to be any interest at all from the developers.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 11:15:54 am »
Well at least I'm not the only user experiencing unpredictable behaviour at the moment.

Any developers care to comment? Is there a reason why C::B has suddenly become so erratic in so many different areas?

I've posted several reports recently about config changes not being saved reliably / debugging having become very unreliable / checkboxes that don't update properly etc. But there doesn't seem to be any interest at all from the developers.
What can I say... I'm developing under Windows and see no such thing here. The Mandraman uses Code::Blocks under Linux all day and does not seem to see any such thing either.
Is not so much about having no interest, is just we don't see it happen.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2007, 12:37:20 pm »

Well I do use C::B on Linux and on Windows. I have not noticed such unexpected behaviour. I noticed one such stupid behaviour couple of days back, but it went away after I made a clean compile and install.

If you can give us Steps to reproduce such weird behaviour, may be some of us will be able to fix it. :)

In a nightly, I had pointed this:

I confirm this. :)

Offline johne53

• Regular
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2007, 01:19:43 pm »
Biplap - thanks for persevering with this. Are you saying that in the Compiler & Debugger Settings dialog, the OK and CANCEL buttons are simply working the opposite way around? That doesn't really tie in with my experiences. OK does seem to work - but only occasionally.

Here are some links to the other problems I've been having. The first one is 100% repeatable. The second one is very erratic.

1) http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,6739.msg51722.html#msg51722

2) http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,6967.0.html

I noticed one such stupid behaviour couple of days back, but it went away after I made a clean compile and install.

Before I do anything drastic - do you mean a clean compile & install of Code::Blocks - or of the project that was giving you problems?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 01:24:52 pm by johne53 »

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2007, 01:27:08 pm »
Are you saying that in the Compiler & Debugger Settings dialog, the OK and CANCEL buttons are simply working the opposite way around? That doesn't really tie in with my experiences. OK does seem to work - but only occasionally.

No I didn't mean that. The current problem is if you click on the Auto-detect button, the settings get saved irrespective of whether you click OK or Cancel button.

But clicking OK button works perfectly for me.

I noticed one such stupid behaviour couple of days back, but it went away after I made a clean compile and install.

Before I do anything drastic - do you mean a clean compile & install of Code::Blocks - or of the project that was giving you problems?

I suggest you to clean compile & installation of Code::Blocks. :)

BTW, I just read your posts. You have mentioned that you use KDE desktop. But I use GNOME one. So can you just give GNOME desktop a try to see if the problem persists or not.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 01:29:09 pm by Biplab »

Offline johne53

• Regular
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2007, 01:36:57 pm »
, I just read your posts. You have mentioned that you use KDE desktop. But I use GNOME one. So can you just give GNOME desktop a try to see if the problem persists or not.

Yes, I believe this is quite simple to do with OpenSuse. I don't quite know how but I'll find out and try it later. Thanks.