Author Topic: Code completion is incorrect???  (Read 5811 times)

Offline incorrect user

• Multiple posting newcomer
Code completion is incorrect???
« on: September 14, 2007, 01:31:43 pm »
Hi everyone! :)

Anybody knows that code completion is very powerfull and usefull conception for writing program code. So each cool IDE must have such feature (like VIM or (the best example) Visual C++ Embedded editor).
C::B also has this one. But in it the code completion plugin is quite incorrect. I'll explain this in the next post but now let me invite everybody to find any bugs/incompletions in the code completion and disscuss them in order to make C::B the best of the best! 8)
Take quality as a rule!

Offline incorrect user

Re: Code completion is incorrect???
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 01:42:33 pm »
See the screenshots of some testing program below:
1)during typing "xxx" there is the list of permitted words
2)after typing "." the list has dissapeared but there is no other list with components of "xxx" :?
3)i must press <Ctrl>+<Space> for getting the list of component :(

To my mind it's not very convinient! :wink:
What do you think?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Take quality as a rule!

Offline incorrect user

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 01:47:28 pm »
And what about such bug? (see below)

Does not it (code completion) "understand" that "xxx" is not a pointer? :?

Take quality as a rule!

ascxaxsvcbsxbbqvcxqsbcvxs

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 01:52:34 pm »
To incorrect user (but the correct user i want to reply):

When i started programming, the code completion of all IDEs were very slow, because of the computers. Writing code was taking time, and was boring.
    So i asked a secretary to teach me how to type fast on keyboards: for example where to put fingers. She was good at teaching me how to. As time goes by, the code completion tools on all IDEs became faster, but i trained always to be faster than them. In fact, you don't so much practice for this. When writing C++ code, the characters sequences you have to type are lesser than in usual texts.
    The softwares that teach you how to learn typing fast are cheap. It is a good investment: you concentrate most of the time on the task you want to do, not how to type code.

Offline incorrect user

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 01:53:41 pm »
Also i have some doubts about rightness of this (see below): :?

Mabey you have other opinion? Post it! :D

Take quality as a rule!

Offline incorrect user

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 01:55:46 pm »
But if you work with very big project you can't hold in mind all data structures and their members, so it's very usefull, isn't it?
Take quality as a rule!

Offline jpaterso

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 02:40:21 pm »
To incorrect user (but the correct user i want to reply):

When i started programming, the code completion of all IDEs were very slow, because of the computers. Writing code was taking time, and was boring.
    So i asked a secretary to teach me how to type fast on keyboards: for example where to put fingers. She was good at teaching me how to. As time goes by, the code completion tools on all IDEs became faster, but i trained always to be faster than them. In fact, you don't so much practice for this. When writing C++ code, the characters sequences you have to type are lesser than in usual texts.
    The softwares that teach you how to learn typing fast are cheap. It is a good investment: you concentrate most of the time on the task you want to do, not how to type code.

No offense, but replying to a post about a bug in CC by saying that code completion is useless is, well, useless...

ascxaxsvcbsxbbqvcxqsbcvxs

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 04:08:30 pm »
I know, this forum is mostly technical.
But: i'm so, so impressed how much energy people spent on this particular feature of CB. Unbelievable! Can't figure why  :shock:

dr snuggles

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 05:41:31 pm »
I know, this forum is mostly technical.
But: i'm so, so impressed how much energy people spent on this particular feature of CB. Unbelievable! Can't figure why  :shock:
Why code completion is easier:
1) Pressing enter is less work than typing long names.
2) Selecting something from a box makes sure that you don't make a typo (type error).

Offline XayC

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 06:31:33 pm »
Why code completion is easier:
1) Pressing enter is less work than typing long names.
2) Selecting something from a box makes sure that you don't make a typo (type error).

Not considering that Code Completion is only a part of something deeper and more important. Even if you don't use CC you may still need the source parser. I guess most of the effort is in improving the source parser than improving CC itself.
With a good source parser you get many good features like:
  • Code Completion
  • Source/Class/Symbols browser
  • Refactoring
  • Symbols used by the debugger to automatically show your watches structure

I'm so, so impressed how much energy people spent on this particular feature of CB. Unbelievable! Can't figure why  :shock:

In other words, what may seem only interest for CC is something more.

Regards, XayC