Author Topic: My entire C file cleared and lost by CB  (Read 28288 times)

ascxaxsvcbsxbbqvcxqsbcvxs

Re: My entire C file cleared and lost by CB
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 11:06:01 am »
To @nthony: When i'm developping software, whatever the tool and whatever the language, i always have an USB key and at least one external hard disk connected to the computer. Every half-hour or hour, or even more frequently depending on what i'm doing, i manually copy everything to all of them: all sources files, all backup files, all .o, all exe file(s), all tests files, all config files, ...
Every day or week (depending) i copy everything to a second external hard disk, connected only the time necessary for this backup.
Every month i sent everything to another location.

Why so much precautions?
The CB saving algorithm is good, but a hard disk crash can occur at any time. Even two hard disks can crash at the same time. I had a teacher, who had 3 personnal disks, not connected to the same computer or to a computer, that crashed at the exact same time! On the 3 disks were the 3 copies of his doctor thesis, few days before the final date...

These precautions cost some times, but at each problem saves a lot!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 02:38:41 pm by ascxaxsvcbsxbbqvcxqsbcvxs »

ascxaxsvcbsxbbqvcxqsbcvxs

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 09:52:04 am »
The only language where reverse engineering works in a decent way is Java (which is not a surprise). You can usually restore 99.99% of your original code in 2 minutes (put aside variable names).

How do you do that?

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 12:12:51 pm »
By using a tool like Mocha, Jad, DeJaVu, DJ Java Decompiler, or one of the other 1500 available Java decompilers. I've used a few of them in the past, and the results were stunning.
All of them can usually figure out 100% of non-obfuscated code, and the better ones can restore 80-90% of deliberately obfuscated code, too. Contrary to binary executables, Java bytecode seems quite easy to translate back, and conveniently, all class info is in the files too.
The only thing the decompilers don't do nicely are local variable names (you will have variable names like a1, a2, a3,...), but that's quite obvious... there is no way the decompiler could know the original names.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 12:27:51 pm »
You can decompile any .NET language (C#, VB.NET, etc) based app, too, by using suitable decompiler. As Thomas explained, Obfuscuted code are difficult to understand. But you'll get a complete source code in any language (C#, VB.NET, etc) as you wish from a managed binary or whatever it is called. :)
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline ssssssara

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 01:26:55 pm »
Hmm,

The same thing just happend to me!! All open files (.c / .h) was cleard by CB after a crash and restart. I found a .c.CBtemp file in the directory, but that one is also cleard. I tried to open the "lost" filed with a hex-editor, and all I can see is zeros... :(

So sad, I took backup two days ago, but still ~16 hours work gone!

/Sara