Author Topic: VC Toolkit 2003 Debug Symbols  (Read 6039 times)

roussec

VC Toolkit 2003 Debug Symbols
« on: August 30, 2005, 08:31:51 pm »
Hello,

I am trying to build a debugable executable. The options I set are 'Produce Debugging Symbols", "Disable Optimizations", "Enable C++ Exceptions", "__cdecl calling convention" and "Single Threadded runtime Library". In the linker options the only option I set (manually) is /DEBUG. When I build my project the linker tries to link with the release libraries (e.g. libc.lib instead of libcd.lib) and complains about missing .pdb files (which are of course only available for libs like libcd.lib ....)

I think I was able to produce debugable executables with beta1?! Did something change in Code::Blocks regarding this or am I doing something wrong? What flag am I missing?

Btw.: Do you plan to implement a Linker Setting Dialog (with checkboxes and so on) like for the compiler settings?

Thank you,

Christian

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Re: VC Toolkit 2003 Debug Symbols
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 08:58:21 pm »
hee hee... we didn't count so many people would use VC toolkit... :lol: see... VC debugging is not implemented yet :oops:

roussec

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 09:17:29 pm »
I am not talking about debuging in Code::Blocks, I use WinDBG. I want to know if something changed in the Linker part or if it is (most likely) my mistake since I do not specify the right switch.

zieQ

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 10:15:25 pm »
Well, actually, compiler and linker options are mixed together, it's a mess. The whole compiler plugin will be reworked to account for this problem after v1. Maybe some little fixes could be performed before this anyway, please submit a bug report for this missing /debug option ;)

Anyway, if you want to link with libcd.lib instead of libc.lib, you should set Single Threaded Debug Runtime instead of Single Threaded Runtime.

roussec

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 12:19:11 am »
Thank you for the answer, that was what I was searching for :) I do not really get the file a bug report joke :? I do have to add /DEBUG or don't I?

C.

zieQ

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 08:23:53 am »
I think you have to use /debug... That's why I asked for a bug report ;)

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 08:38:56 am »
In addition to setting "produce debugging symbols" in compiler options, you should also add (manually) in linker options /DEBUG (and maybe /PDB:<pdb_filename>.pdb)...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...