Author Topic: Environment Suggestions for Getting Back into Coding  (Read 3112 times)

Offline Seronis

• Almost regular
Environment Suggestions for Getting Back into Coding
« on: August 22, 2007, 06:16:40 pm »
I've had about a year hiatus from doing some hobbyist level programming due to a change in jobs and living arrangements and have time to get back into things.  In the meantime boost, wxWidgets and C::B itself have all progressed in my absense.

I _do not_ need instructions of any kind on how to aquire the resources mentioned above but I am curious on pointers on compatibility.  Specifically I've heard good things about the MinGW 4.2.1 series.  I've used 3.4.3 and 3.4.5 in the past.  I previously used Boost 1.33.x and see a 1.34.0/1 available.  My last C::B was rv3200 i believe.

I've had good experience with that choice in my build environment but would like to know if anyone has had compatibility issues with gcc 4.2.1 and thinks keeping to 3.4.5 is better for now.  Also if there are any concerns with the newer gcc in regards to getting the latest wxWidgets (or a not-quite-the-latest) and Boost to work with it.

I've installed each multiple times and the C::B wiki (among other srcs) is a great refresher.  I dont need install hints unless its specific to getting a specific configuration to work.  I do want to be able to build everything (including C::B) locally. (i can do SVN too)  Please speak up if you've had noticible issues getting a particular setup to work.

My system is running a legal WinXP home edition. 

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
Re: Environment Suggestions for Getting Back into Coding
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 04:08:58 am »
I have run and compiled Boost 1.34 and wxWidgets 2.8.x on the latest Ubuntu with GCC 4.2 just fine.  So I don't think you should have any compiler trouble.