Author Topic: Ignorant Professor  (Read 16758 times)

scubanator87

Ignorant Professor
« on: August 22, 2007, 02:30:07 pm »
So im currently enrolled in "Engineering Problem Solving with C++," and the professor "requires" us to use crap MS VS.

So I send him an email:

Hello Professor,
>
>       I was wondering how heavily we have to use visual studio. I don't
> us MS Windows as my primary OS and am much more comfortable using
> something like Code Blocks IDE to do my C++ in. Is it going to be a
> problem if i use a  gcc compiler?

Here is his reply:

Hi Stephen,

I want you to be in synch with everyone in the course, including the
TAs, your project partner, and me.  So you will need to use Visual
Studio.   We are just going to scratch the surface of using Visual
Studio, so it should not be difficult for you.

Thanks.  ... Dr. B.

Now if you can read 2 thing wrong; he cant use spell check, and that his answer gets me no where.

So I reply back:

I'm sorry however, that doesn't really answer my question. Let me rephrase,
> are we going to be using any thing specific to visual studio. Personally I
> could just use a text editor and a compiler, however this is obviously not
> the best approach for everyone. Thank you.

Now thinking that I have made things clear, he replies with:

Hi Stephen,

When we get into writing modular programs, the TAs may want you to
turn in your entire Visual Studio project zipped up.  This will
probably be easier for them to grade.

... Dr. B.

Now obviously im getting no where. So at this point im just going to ignore him and use the awesome-ness that is C::B

So thank you C::B team for bringing us This totally rad IDE that is Code::Blocks!

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
Re: Ignorant Professor
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 02:37:06 pm »
That was funny :D

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 02:52:27 pm »
When we get into writing modular programs, the TAs may want you to
turn in your entire Visual Studio project zipped up.  This will
probably be easier for them to grade.
So at this point im just going to ignore him and use the awesome-ness that is C::B
You're obviously joking :)

If your teaching assistants and your professor want to see a Visual Studio project, and you don't give them one, then what almost certainly will happen will be you failing the course, easy as that.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

scubanator87

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 04:17:06 pm »
nah in class he said today we will be submitting them as "zip files" lol i wonder what they will do when i throw them a .tar.gz?

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 05:05:26 pm »
Give you a choice between submitting a zip file and failing the assignment, most likely...
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline rcoll

• Almost regular
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 05:40:10 pm »
nah in class he said today we will be submitting them as "zip files" lol i wonder what they will do when i throw them a .tar.gz?

What will you do when you go to work for an engineering company that has standarized all their projects using MS VC?  Will you still insist on using a non-standard (to your boss, anyway) IDE like C::B?  Seems like a good way to lose you job during the initial evaluation ("probabtion") period.

Ringo

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 05:44:58 pm »
What will you do when you go to work for an engineering company that has standarized all their projects using MS VC?  Will you still insist on using a non-standard (to your boss, anyway) IDE like C::B?
I do it. Of course I don't tell anybody and have a "MSVC interface" to the outside world. ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:
With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Roman

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 07:08:58 pm »
Hi there!

2 scubanator87:
Man, I don't think I can/shall teach You but You should feel the difference between job and fun. When You will hire plenty of coders to work for Your company it will be possible to force them using C::B.

2 all:
Let me share with You my non-professional opinion:

There are plenty of projects that use MSVC. Thera are bunch of people that like C::B. It is difficult for them to make love with these VC projects because they (projects) can't be debugged with C::B.

Personally I would like C::B to be widely used by coders. Much more than 50% of them are using VC. So the C::B's way to stars lies through the full support of MS compiler. I have searched through forums and didn't find any topics saying "CDB rulez! I use it and I'm happy!" or sth.

Is anyone aware of a good way to debug VC programs? If so, I believe the answer should be on the WIKI. Any way - I would be thankful if someone explains what is the situation with this topic.

Best Regards,
Roman

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 07:11:14 pm by Roman »
CB LSI (C::B as a Little Secret Initiative)

mitsukai

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 08:19:04 pm »
nobody will say "CDB rulez! I use it and I'm happy!" because C::B are mostly professional C++ programmers, and mature.

and to the OP, saying this u should get back to kinder garden, and programming is not for you.

Offline Roman

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 09:14:19 pm »
nobody will say "CDB rulez! I use it and I'm happy!" because C::B are mostly professional C++ programmers, and mature.

and to the OP, saying this u should get back to kinder garden, and programming is not for you.

Man!   :)
I mean by "CDB" a debugger that is used to debug VC code. By cited sentence I have meant that CDB+C::B pair does not work well.
I'm trying to get what is the connection between "CDB rulez! I use it and I'm happy!", "mostly professional" and "kinder garden" but fail. Coud You please help me in understanding Your concept?

With Regards,
Roman

Offline Seronis

• Almost regular
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 02:41:28 pm »
Roman dont be so quick to take offense.  All his point made was since most C::B users are more professional and not learners (im just a learner) then they all hate CDB so they wouldnt be happy.  Nothing against you. 

And the kindergarden comment was noted as being aimed at the OP not you.  And it was in reference to him being immature and not being willing to follow class guidelines for the same of imperialism of his own preference.

Again nothing against _you_ personally.  =-)

Offline johne53

• Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 06:46:10 pm »
I'm quite new to C::B - just using it for my first project. Previously I'd used MS Visual Studio for 8 years. I don't know why you think it's crap - it's a fantastic development environment. Yes, it's tailored towards writing for Windows but Microsoft doesn't deny that, does it?

I love C::B to bits and I'll soon be using it as my IDE of choice but that doesn't make me in some way superior to other developers. Nor am I arrogant enough to think that everyone else in the world is out of step, apart from me. If learning VC++ is part of your curriculum (however small a part) who are you to tell your professor that you're prepared to accept this part of the curriculum but not that part? If you want to pass the course you must work on the assignments as they are set for you - not on some other assignments that you happen to think are superior. Keep your mind open if you want to pass your exams.

Offline Roman

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 08:30:20 pm »
Roman dont be so quick to take offense.  All his point made was since most C::B users are more professional and not learners (im just a learner) then they all hate CDB so they wouldnt be happy.  Nothing against you. 

And the kindergarden comment was noted as being aimed at the OP not you.  And it was in reference to him being immature and not being willing to follow class guidelines for the same of imperialism of his own preference.

Again nothing against _you_ personally.  =-)

2 mitsukai: Sorry for misunderstanding :)
2 Seronis: Thank You for explanation :)

I'm a learner too - why do they hate CDB?

Best Regards,
Roman

Offline Seronis

• Almost regular
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 02:50:38 pm »
It has been _quite_ some time since i tried (since i no longer play with vstudio.net) but i never got the vc debugger to work with code blocks.  Could be that It was while i was so new at C::B (i still mostly am) or that its not even possible.  I didnt try hard and just did what a friend suggested and not use the vc tools but got mingw instead.

Offline johne53

• Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 04:52:14 pm »
As far as I've been able to tell, Microsoft's debugger is an integrated part of the IDE. It's not a separate executable, like GDB is to GCC. Therefore, you're never really going to make it work seamlessly with Code::Blocks. However, I believe it's "semi-integratable" in the sense that you can launch Visual Studio from within C::B, so you can edit & compile in one IDE whilst debugging in the other. Fortunately, Visual Studio is clever enough to realize when a file gets changed outside the IDE so, in practice, it can be made to work quite well. In fact there are other advantages too - since Visual Studio has an excellent resource editor that's very tightly integrated with MFC.