Author Topic: Overide general compiler settings by project settings  (Read 11806 times)

Kromitvs

Overide general compiler settings by project settings
« on: August 13, 2007, 12:37:24 am »
Windows XP SP2
CB_20070810_rev4365_win32
G++
Newbie  :P

Hello,

I have my general compiler settings (Settings->Compiler and Debugger...) set to -g -Wall -pedantic -ansi. It's what I generally use.
But now I'm working with some source code which only compiles without -ansi and -pedantic.
So I would like to configure only this project to use this settings.
How do I do that?

I've tried changing Build options for Project Only, and selecting and deselecting those options, but nothing seems to work. Couldn't find help in the manual, wiki, or here...

Errors I receive with those options enabled:
Code
..\IBPP core\ibase.h:100: error: ISO C++ does not support `long long'
..\IBPP core\ibase.h:101: error: ISO C++ does not support `long long'
..\IBPP core\_ibpp.cpp:: In member function `ibpp_internals::GDS* ibpp_internals::GDS::Call()':
..\IBPP core\_ibpp.cpp:139: error: `putenv' undeclared (first use this function)
..\IBPP core\_ibpp.cpp:139: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.)
:: === Build finished: 4 errors, 0 warnings ===

Thanks for all your help!

EDIT: since I can have different settings for Debug and Release, is there a way to set all projects/this project settings? Or only for this project?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 12:40:19 am by Kromitvs »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Overide general compiler settings by project settings
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 07:46:45 am »
How do I do that?
There are 3 places where to adjust compiler/linker flags:
1.) Within the global compiler options (Settings -> Compiler and Debugger)
2.) Within the project settings (at project level)
3.) Within the project's target settings (at target level)
You can choose to override any existing compiler/linker flags at target level like the following:
a) append new flags
b) prepend new flags
c) overwrite any existing (ignore any existing -> e.g. from project level)
So you can finetune nicely what you have in mind: Place the pedantic and ansi flag only at target level where it's required and let it append (or prepend if you like).

Code
..\IBPP core\_ibpp.cpp:139: error: `putenv' undeclared (first use this function)
Make sure you also take care of that, too. That's a diferent story (seems like a missing include to me...).

With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Kromitvs

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 02:33:20 am »
Thanks Mortem!

But... I still can't do it (and I know I'm missing something really simple! :( )

So, by steps:

global compiler options (Settings -> Compiler and Debugger): -g -Wall -pedantic -ansi

project settings (at project level): nothing selected in (Build option... -> Compiler settings)
The policy is set to "use project options only"; although that is grayed out and I wouldn't know how to change it;

project's target settings (at target level). Target is Debug. nothing selected in (Build option... -> Compiler settings)
Policy is "use project options only" (and I've tryed the other 3).
I always get the same error messages.

If I go to (Settings -> Compiler and Debugger) and remove -ansi -pedantic, they go way (sorry for the short explanation, newbie at C++ too  :) .

Thanks again!

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 07:49:17 am »
global compiler options (Settings -> Compiler and Debugger): -g -Wall -pedantic -ansi
That's a very bad place to setup these compiler switches. This would mean you *always* compile a debug version f. ex..
Remove all those from there and from project ooptions.

project settings (at project level): nothing selected in (Build option... -> Compiler settings)
The policy is set to "use project options only"; although that is grayed out and I wouldn't know how to change it;
As I said: This is possible on target level only. We use the same UI dialog for each of these 3 (different) settings and gray out what's not appropriate.

- place "-Wall" at project level
- place "-g" at debug target level (appending this option, or leave the default setting whcih is prepending IMHO)
- place "-pedantic -ansi" only at e.g. release target level
If "-pedantic -ansi" doesn't work at all simply remove it completely.

BTW: There is also a WiKi article about setting up project options which will guide you even more in that direction. Search for it! ;-)

With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Kromitvs

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 01:29:13 am »
Thanks for your help! I'll read the wiki with more attention!

(sorry for delaying my answer, some work came up)