Author Topic: Windows console mode  (Read 3265 times)

Offline rhf

• Multiple posting newcomer
Windows console mode
« on: August 10, 2007, 10:48:24 pm »
Hi,

I frequently create console outputs using "pause when execution ends" and find it awkward to have to close the console window before CB receives the focus.  Moreover, I often want to keep multiple console windows open so that I can quickly compare the results of code/variable changes, etc. (I got used to this with MS Visual Studio, and it is the only thing that I really miss with CB.)

Is there currently a mechanism for doing this in Windows XP? I wanted to check on this before submitting a feature request.

Thanks.

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Windows console mode
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 01:10:51 am »
rhf: I assume you are using the tools menu to run this command? if so, you can try my ShellExtensions plugin as an alternative (pimping my own product :) ). Like the tools menu, you can use it to setup up arbitrary commands but its functionality is a lot richer. For your case, you can use it to  redirect output for your commands to either a console window or to a notepage in a code::blocks notebook window. You can spawn as many processes as you want.

project page in my sig. info about the latest version here: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,6642.msg51110.html#msg51110

(obviously it's alpha quality software at this point)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 01:12:41 am by dmoore »

Offline rhf

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Windows console mode
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 04:59:34 pm »
I assume you are using the tools menu to run this command?
Actually, I Just create a console program and write to std::cout. I have never used the tools menu.

...you can try my ShellExtensions plugin as an alternative. Like the tools menu, you can use it to setup up arbitrary commands but its functionality is a lot richer.  ...latest version here: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,6642.msg51110.html#msg51110
I did download your ShellExtensions plugin, and it looks very nice. I don't really understand how to use it yet and may have some questions after I have experimented with it.
Thanks,