Author Topic: Codeblocks starting is too slow? can anybody make it faster?  (Read 9102 times)

aosp

I had used CodeBlocks many times. I think CodeBlocks is too slow when it starting. The VC6 IDE is faster than it. I found CodeBlocks will load many plugins, templates and compiler configurations. I had disabled some plugins and deleted some templates. But the compiler configurations seems can not be deleted. I just use GCC compiler only. So can I delete the other compiler configuration to make CodeBlocks start faster?

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Codeblocks starting is too slow? can anybody make it faster?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 04:44:18 pm »
So can I delete the other compiler configuration to make CodeBlocks start faster?
The only way to achive this is to compile C::B yourself. The compiler plugin is "monolitic" thus it includes all compilers. When compiling yourself you can disable compilation/linkage of individual compilers by removing the relevant implementation files from the compiler plugin target if you like. Hence I don't think this will make things a lot faster. What type of computer / OS you have? Cause for me C::B is *much* fatser than VC6...?!
With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 01:45:54 am »
start faster?

MinGW Developer Studio is fast but very limited.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 05:23:05 am »
I've been trying to tackle the issue. After a bit of experimentation, I realized that the second time you start up C::B, it's much faster. It seems that the loading of projects depends on disk access - i think it's related to the wxFilename class, it might try to access the directory entries or something.

There has been a discussion about the slowness of project loading around the forums, but I forgot where.

Regarding resources, perhaps some of them (i.e. the lexers) could be zipped. But that can wait for a later version. "If it ain't broke..."

CPF

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 05:36:12 am »
Well.. for me..
the normally, it takes around 15-20 seconds to start it up..
but to start it the second time, it takes just 5 seconds..

XP 3.2G 512MB ram

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 10:20:54 am »
Regarding resources, perhaps some of them (i.e. the lexers) could be zipped. But that can wait for a later version. "If it ain't broke..."
No, Rick, no, no, no.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 06:57:52 am »
OK, won't even try then :)