Author Topic: Converting Torque Game Engine VC7 projects to CodeBlocks  (Read 9549 times)

brandon8863

Converting Torque Game Engine VC7 projects to CodeBlocks
« on: August 02, 2005, 11:12:03 pm »
I've been wanting to do some tutorials to help new users of the TGE platform get their feet wet with C++. CodeBlocks looks to be the perfect answer, but I'm having a couple of issues getting the VC7 project files across to CodeBlocks. Here is a small list of things I've noticed, and/or would appreciate some insight into:

1. When the project gets large, I've noticed a 'Can not wait for thread termination (error 6: the handle is invalid)' when loading up the project files. When you click 'details' it is filled with hundreds of error6 and error8 (can not wait/create/resume thread, and handle invalid errors)

2. How are the use of .DEF files from visual studio accounted for in CodeBlocks? It keeps giving me 'undefined reference to' errors from these .def file mappings.

3. Is the free VisualStudio2003 C++ Toolkit the best compiler to use when converting a VS7 solution?

4. Are there any resources or kind people able to answer some more involved questions during this coversion process? And even more important: is this conversion possible with the existing features in CodeBlocks?

Thanks,

Brandon.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 11:27:33 pm by brandon8863 »

darklordsatan

Re: Converting Torque Game Engine VC7 projects to CodeBlocks
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 11:52:25 pm »
1. When the project gets large, I've noticed a 'Can not wait for thread termination (error 6: the handle is invalid)' when loading up the project files. When you click 'details' it is filled with hundreds of error6 and error8 (can not wait/create/resume thread, and handle invalid errors)
Seems like you're not the only one. I got those error msgs 24/7 when trying to import the VC6 wxwidgets project files...

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 01:06:31 am »
Stan, mind giving me an example or how to replicate it? I don't have VC++, and I'm tired of these bug reports. I want to fix them, but I haven't found a way to get those errors. :(

darklordsatan

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 05:25:02 am »
Rick, you dont need VC6 for this... What we're talking about is importing projects inside C::B.
Im gonna pretend youre not one of the main developers, and you just downloaded C:B yesterday. So that others that might like to try on their PCs to see if they get the same results have no problems replicating this:

Go to Project->Import->MS Visual C++ Workspace, then select
$WxWidgets-2.6.1-SOURCES_FOLDER\build\msw\wx_dll.dsw

I ended up with this after like 6 mins

And C::B was actually taking up as much as 62Mb of RAM by that time...

And I attached the log, but its actually worthless... Anyway, you need to rename it to .zip

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 06:09:33 am »
Sorry, I meant that I might need VC to test the actual compilation process etc. But that's not really needed.

Thanks for the importing instructions.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 06:15:14 am »
:(

Couldn't replicate it!

All i got were "path blahblahblah contains too many ..!" :(

darklordsatan

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 08:32:31 am »
:(

Couldn't replicate it!

All i got were "path blahblahblah contains too many ..!" :(
What? What path, the wx one? and too many "." or ...?

zieQ

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 09:23:17 am »
To add my patchs for MSVC importers, I also tried to open wx vs6 projects files with no problems. I can confirm I have still no problem to load them now with CVS V1 and HEAD versions  :shock: . But I can assure you it is way too long to load, especially with MSVC6, seems that the parser should be optimized.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 09:24:51 am by zieQ »