Author Topic: [code completion] cleaner and more complete popup  (Read 5524 times)

Offline frithjofh

• Regular
[code completion] cleaner and more complete popup
« on: July 09, 2007, 11:58:56 am »
hi everyone,

first: i really like codeblocks. i'm still learning programming and it even helps me get the ideas strait how to do tings just by using it...

i wanted to sugest some change (perhaps an enhancement :)) to the code completion pop-up, i mean that little window that shows the variables and the methods and such. currently it shows you everything in alphabetic order but i would find it much more useful if it would show in one column: first the public, a horizontal line, then the protected, another line and then the private elements...

and in case of methods: that it would not only show the methods of the class, but in another column with the name of that class as title, all the inherited methods frome that class...

this would be great especially for the wxWidgets stuff, where some many classes inherit from wxWindows for example

i don't know if i explained well what i mean, and then, if anybody but me would apreciate these changes...

greetings

nause
architect with some spare time  -  c::b compiled from last svn  -   openSuSE leap x86_64  -  AMD FX-4100

Offline jaxon

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: [code completion] cleaner and more complete popup
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 02:05:07 pm »
as for me... I would like if code completion parser could parse comments/java doc comments (like Slick Edit)

and... can codeblocks show popups over symbol under mouse? - symbol definition + comments

Offline dje

• Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 02:58:02 pm »
Hi AFAIK, code completion makes its own parsing to extract infos. When you use the 'Find declaration of' features, you have to choose which definition matches your request because CC can't do itself.
That's why I think your request, even if very useful, is not easy to implement.
Java makes IDE work easier...

Dje

Offline wxuserbrest

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 09:59:21 am »
Hi,
there is also a trick for the completion, on GTK there is this definition (and there are lot like this one on wxWidgets)
#define wxWindowGTK wxWindow

and so the parser for the time doesn't know wxWindow.
I didn't look at the code but maybe a simple thing like ligne_start, ligne_stop and file could be done for a symbol. Like this only possible symbols will be shown with this completion.
Maybe it could be used too for inheritance, because for a derived class the parser gives also private members.

Another idea is to be able to construct a "hard" file that contains symbols for a library. Like this no need to parse again the library.
And if the code parser could be coupled with help file to show the description of the help for a method then it could be the heaven.
Thanks for answer