Author Topic: Licenses  (Read 4608 times)

Offline noname|

• Single posting newcomer
Licenses
« on: July 19, 2007, 02:36:35 pm »
hi,

I have a question.
What licenses could I choose for my developed software?
I write primary freeware, but most of them are not open-source now.
If it is possible i do not want to use the GPL or LGPL.
I would be more happy with a license which for example HydraIRC uses (or closed-source)

thanks

NoName|

Offline noname|

Re: Licenses
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 03:19:18 pm »
Yes perhaps I doesn't choose the right words.
I want to develop with codeblocks and my question is, if it is up to me to choose the license or whether there are restrictions by the GPL license under which is CodeBlocks released?
Sorry, I thought it would be clear that CodeBlocks is used ;)

NoName|

PS: Anyway, thanks for the answer...

Offline raph

• Almost regular
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 03:41:17 pm »
There shouldn't be any restrictions as long as you aren't using parts of codeblocks sourcecode in your projects.
Anyway there may be some restrictions from the compiler you are using.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 03:43:38 pm »
I want to develop with codeblocks and my question is, if it is up to me to choose the license or whether there are restrictions by the GPL license under which is CodeBlocks released?
Stand-alone software you develop using C::B can be any license. Hence if you use (parts of) C::B (e.g. C::B's SDK) it's becoming different. So let's say you develop a cool closed-source C::B plugin and distribute C::B with this plugin without source. That would be bad. But as soon as you talk about developing stand-alone software and you use the C::B IDE as binary for that purpose (and not the source of C::B) which I suppose you are about to do you can freely choose any license for your app.
With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline noname|

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 05:44:16 pm »
Thanks ;)
The compiler I used is MinGW at the moment, but I read that there is in opposite to the Cygwin/GCC no restriction in that way.
If i'm wrong please correct me

NoName|

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 10:11:32 pm »
why the GPL aversion?

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 04:49:21 am »
Thanks ;)
The compiler I used is MinGW at the moment, but I read that there is in opposite to the Cygwin/GCC no restriction in that way.
If i'm wrong please correct me

NoName|

Quote from: Mingw website
MinGW - Licensing Terms

MinGW base runtime package is uncopyrighted and placed in the public domain. This basically means that you can do what you want with the code.
w32api

You are free to use, modify and copy this package. No restrictions are imposed on programs or object files compiled with this library. You may not restrict the the usage of this library. You may distribute this library as part of another package or as a modified package if and only if you do not restrict the usage of the portions consisting of this (optionally modified) library. If distributed as a modified package then this file must be included.

Quote from: Cygwin website
The Cygwin API library found in the winsup subdirectory of the source code is also covered by the GNU GPL (with exceptions; see below). By default, all executables link against this library (and in the process include GPL'd Cygwin glue code). This means that unless you modify the tools so that compiled executables do not make use of the Cygwin library, your compiled programs will also have to be free software distributed under the GPL with source code available to all.

I think that with Mingw you can create commercial programs but not with Cygwin