Author Topic: Praise for CodeBlocks - Gaining Ground  (Read 4548 times)

Offline arew264

• Multiple posting newcomer
Praise for CodeBlocks - Gaining Ground
« on: July 12, 2007, 12:45:34 am »
I wanted to mention that I have found others making use of CodeBlocks recently in places I didn't expect.

For those of you who play the free online FPS EnemyTerritory, the open source and massive ETPub mod is shifting to MinGW (and away from VC) and, it seems, to CodeBlocks. No official word, but they formally switched compilers and I found that the few I chatted with were using CodeBlocks.
Also, I posted up on my mudhost's forum about CodeBlocks when a guy was asking about multiplatform development for MUDs, and he (after criticizing me for not using SDL sockets for compatibility) mentioned that he was using CodeBlocks on linux.

This may not seem like much, but I'm finding users outside of this website, and that definitely says something about this project and its popularity.
In the end, this is great stuff. I've been using a nightly build for a few months now, and I haven't experienced a crash yet (well, one, but that was because the rest of my computer crashed too). I've been doing more than I've ever done before with C++, and it's because I have an IDE I feel comfortable with (with VC++, I just kinda hoped this option I didn't know anything about wouldn't crash my program).
I'm quite a bit of a newb to coding, but CodeBlocks is simple enough for me to grasp, and yet when I want to do something more advanced, it can handle that too. It's an excellent mix of everything, and it all just works. Even better, when it doesn't work, there's documentation and other users that will help.

This is just a great project, so keep up the great work.

Offline Morphius Faydal

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Praise for CodeBlocks - Gaining Ground
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 04:10:45 am »
About 1/4 of the people in my CS class this summer used it.  We all love it.