Author Topic: Compiling library source files with Code::Blocks  (Read 6839 times)

Static29

Compiling library source files with Code::Blocks
« on: June 30, 2007, 10:02:16 pm »
hi im new to this forum

im also im new to compiling library source's myself, i usually just ust mingw binary installers, ya know? precompiled library

so how do i do this in codeblocks?

i tried project>add files, then adding all the .cpp's in the library's src folder

and dropping everything from include folder into codeblocks include folder, but that didn't work, i keep getting errors.

another thing i tried is going to compiler options, then going to directory and adding the src folder directory, that also didn't work.

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
Re: Compiling library source files with Code::Blocks
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 12:49:09 am »
You need to read the library's documentation and follow its instructions for building it from source. If it specifically supports being built from within Code::Blocks (i.e., it includes a .cbp or .workspace file), great! -- but most don't.
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

jaysan

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 11:45:28 am »
hello
i'm pretty new here and i'm having the same problem than Static29. i wanted to build the allegro library and the blender source files but i couldn't find the way to do it with CB.
is there no way to use the makefiles from thoses sources without using a CB project file?
the fact is i wanted to use CB for everything about building sources without ever using a shell command line window. is it really impossible or is there a way to do that?

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 12:31:18 pm »
Please read the following thread. It may answer your queries.

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,6376.0.html
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

jaysan

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 01:06:32 pm »
hello
thanks for the answer but i don't understand anything. i'm sorry. the fact is that everytime i start a new project with personnal files and using precompiled libraries it's always functionning perfectly and i only got error source problems but as long as i want to use others source file it's always a pain and finally i must admit that i never finish anything. i thought that open source was great but everything is made for specific compilers or tools and everytime i want to use my tools it doesn't work.
the cross platform world is really the worst difficult thing to master in computer science.

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 04:02:27 pm »
the fact is i wanted to use CB for everything about building sources without ever using a shell command line window.
This is definitely not a realistic desire.

Allegro is quite simple to build from source, compared to many other libraries and programs. Basically you extract either dx70_mgw.zip or dx80_mgw.zip (available from the Allegro download page) to your MinGW installation directory, add a Windows environment variable named "MINGDIR" that points to your MinGW installation directory, extract the Allegro source, open up a command prompt and cd to the Allegro directory, run "fix.bat mingw32", run "mingw32-make", and run "mingw32-make install".

I've never tried building Blender from source, but I imagine it's more complicated. As I posted before -- read the documentation and follow the directions.

-John E. / TDM
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

jaysan

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 09:27:48 pm »
hello
ok for everything you said. i think i should forget to use CB for everything exept coding and using precompiled libraries. thanks for the help anyway.
for blender i'm still triyng to compile it and it's really complicated. there's not much documentation (not easily available) and it require really many tools.