Author Topic: File explorer window  (Read 13314 times)

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: File explorer window
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2007, 03:47:17 pm »
latest build here:

http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=7745&release_id=12952

(sorting, the up dir button and make root menu option should now work as intended)

Klokan

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 08:33:35 am »
not sure what you mean by system menu... "environment->settings->interpreted languages" lets you add actions for files that will populate the right click context menu (for files only at this point, working on directory implementation as well). actions can be things like spawning Nautilus/Windows explorer, running interpreters, image viewers etc

I mean the file/directory system context menu.
I don't know how it works on Linux but on Windows if you click right mouse on file/directory, there appears a context menu with things like "...,Send to, Copy,Cut,Delete,Rename,Properties,..." and applications add their own context submenu to this menu. For me, the most important is "ClearCase" (my versioning system) submenu , which I use almost everytime, mainly from TotalCommander.

I thing it would be really good to give users of the CB the ability to acces the standart system context menu.
At least, the "hard menu work" is alredy done, so why not to make it public and just use it?

Maybe a new line "System context menu..." could be added to your File Explorer menu.
Also, it would be really nice if the same is added to the document context menu.

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 12:48:28 pm »
I think you mean the context menu in windows explorer? AFAIK that wouldn't be possible to obtain the full menu without
a) using the win32 context menu API - I doubt its available from wxWidgets
b) somehow embedding windows explorer itself (with say windows OLE) but that would require a totally different approach to the one I've used. (wxWigets might be handle the embedding)

I've read that a subset of the win explorer context menu (i.e. the custom options) can be obtained just by reading the registry and this would handle your case, but other than saving you some setting up time I don't know if that's any different from what's already provided by the plugin. The interpreter environment settings allows you to add right click commands for whatever file types you want -- you just have to know the command line. In addition, the file explorer in this plugin will pass context menu requests onto any cb plugin that knows how to listen to them, so in the future it will be possible to write much more integrated interactions between cb and the filesystem.

I'll look into the registry stuff, but I want to get some other parts of the plugin complete (after all this is very win32 specific and I'm trying to write a platform independant tool)

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 12:57:43 pm »
BTW, you can view the windows context menu file associations and associated command lines by opening windows explorer, selecting tools->folder options->file types then selecting a file type and clicking advanced. you could easily translate these commands into the Interpreter Environment settings (I really need to rename this plugin...)