Author Topic: GPL distribution problem  (Read 10018 times)

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
GPL distribution problem
« on: July 27, 2005, 06:19:13 am »
I posted on the MINGW forums! :D

http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=3267121

But one of the devs says we have to distribute the mingw source code... :shock: I asked him if a link was ok. (let's hope it was)

darklordsatan

Re: GPL distribution problem
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 06:34:14 am »
But one of the devs says we have to distribute the mingw source code... :shock: I asked him if a link was ok. (let's hope it was)

Since MinGW is mostly covered by GPL, yes. When distributing binaries we must make the source code available to everyone who wants it. Usually a link might suffice, but in some extreme cases, programmers of GPL code might want you to put the sources in your website. IANAL, so you might be better off asking some of the developers there (well, you did already, lets hope a link is enough)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 10:05:49 pm by rickg22 »

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
    • Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 07:29:59 am »
I posted on the MINGW forums! :D

http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=3267121

GPL is kinda funny that way huh? I looked. People are more concernend that you are giving out the source then actually commenting on the program. :x :roll: Also, it's funny how no one can give you a straight answer. Almost everyone who lives by the GPL can't tell you anything about it for sure. :lol:

I've had DevC++ and MinGW Studio installed, wth a packaged MinGW, and they never had the source.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 10:05:42 pm by rickg22 »
C::B Wishlist
~BOYCOTT THE EVIL YELLOW BOXES~

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 08:24:54 am »
I got an official answer. They tell me that the site we download codeblocks from MUST have the source codes for the MINGW utilities included.

That means the codeblocks website must link directly to the sourceforge downloads. Or in this case, we should provide DIRECT LINKS to the MINGW sourcecodes (via sourceforge) in a readme file or something.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 10:05:32 pm by rickg22 »

Offline kagerato

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • kagerato.net
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 08:53:29 pm »
Personally, the GPL comes as some difficult reading concerning subjects like this.  Let me point out why...

Quote from: GPL Preample
For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that you have. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their rights.

Quote from: GPL Terms and Conditions
3.  You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

a)  Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you received the program in object code or executable form with such an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)

Contrast the bold of the former quote with the three sub-parts (a, b, c) of the latter.  Doesn't this seem to be ambiguous?  It seems akin to saying: "either you must distribute the source code yourself, or you may use any other third-party to do it for you".

Obviously the easiest way to make sure one is complying with the license is to make sure you distribute the source personally, on the same server(s) as the binary.  However, the lack of clarity generates some unease about whether that must be done.  Reasonably speaking, what purpose is there to distributing the source code to someone else's project on your own bandwidth?  Of course, you could say the same about binaries -- but they are in far greater demand.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 10:05:23 pm by rickg22 »

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 10:03:31 pm »
I) think that to simplify this, we just copy the source code tarballs from the mingw site, and release them in separate files. There won't be bandwidth waste, because nobody will download them anyway :P
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 10:05:11 pm by rickg22 »

darklordsatan

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 11:06:41 pm »
I) think that to simplify this, we just copy the source code tarballs from the mingw site, and release them in separate files. There won't be bandwidth waste, because nobody will download them anyway :P

That is granted. We abide to the terms of the GPL, but we trust in the common sense  :D

Offline phlox81

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • phlox81.de
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 09:27:37 pm »
As long, as it is only a link to sourceforge, it's not that big problem.
If you had to deliver also the sources of MinGW, that would make it problem ;)

Offline a3st

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 02:15:01 pm »
seems related to this topic on devcpp mailinglist
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=7791056&forum_id=6572
seems to need an arrangement with mingw developers to provide a link to the sources otherwise it seems one should offer sources on the site itself.
just wondering how devpaks are handled?