Author Topic: Official releases?  (Read 14193 times)

Offline DaVince

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • DaVince's Website
Official releases?
« on: May 30, 2007, 04:31:11 pm »
Hey, there have been so many nightly builds and stuff now, I was wondering... Whenever are you people going to put up an official new release? C::B seems good to go as an official release right now...

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Official releases?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 04:40:34 pm »
When it is good enough to release an official release. We (the devs) don't think in release dates, that is done to often and all of them weren't reached, so we don't do that anymore.

Just wait and see, one hint, when you see only bug fixes for a long time and no new features you can hope that there will be an official release in the near future ;)
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Offline DaVince

• DaVince's Website
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 05:12:43 pm »
Okey dokey, thanks for clarifying that. Keep up the good work, folks!

Offline lubos

• Almost regular
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 07:53:41 pm »
while i was surfing gd.net i saw one topic about which ide to pick. there was a post that suggested to use c::b. and..there was also post, that said c::b has a bunch of lazy devs that dont even do a new release. i dont mind since there are nightlies, but you see, you are losing some users because of this  :(

Offline kelo81

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 03:13:20 am »
while i was surfing gd.net i saw one topic about which ide to pick. there was a post that suggested to use c::b. and..there was also post, that said c::b has a bunch of lazy devs that dont even do a new release. i dont mind since there are nightlies, but you see, you are losing some users because of this  :(

Noup, I think those users are losing C::B  :wink:
Ezequiel Ruiz
Tango/04 consultant
www.tango04.com

Offline DaVince

• DaVince's Website
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 03:31:03 am »
You did tell them there are nightly builds, right?

Offline kurapix

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 03:35:29 am »
Yes they are losing C::B .
And often, these persons who says that are more lazy than the devs : they don't even try to build C::B by themselves instead of always asking.

Kurapix
Code::Blocks package building script

Offline kelo81

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 11:54:11 am »
You did tell them there are nightly builds, right?
I agree with you, the most important thing in order to avoid "losing users" is to encourage them to try the nigtly builds... as C::B needs beta testers!
Ezequiel Ruiz
Tango/04 consultant
www.tango04.com

Offline eckard_klotz

• Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 01:14:46 pm »
Hello C::B devs and users.

I'm a user of C::B and in the last year it was no problem for me to use nightly builds.
But since some weeks or (should I say months) there was no new nightly I'm able to use.

I'm using winME and suse-linux, but there are no new nightlys for this systems. OK, you can tell me, build it by your self, but there is also no ansi-version of the wxWidgtes-dll since the switch to 2.8.x.

So how should I use a new nightly without a fiting one.

Regards,
              Eckard Klotz.

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 01:20:09 pm »
build it by your self
I know this is not the answer you want to have, but I think most of the devs don't have the time to build an ansi build.
It is easy to build an ansi version of wxWidgets, when you have done that, you can build C::B.
Or you can wait and hope for someone that is willing to build it for you.
I can build it, but not test it, so I don't think you want to have an untested version.
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Offline Deschamps

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 01:56:46 pm »
Quote from: eckard_klotz
(..) I'm using winME and suse-linux, but there are no new nightlys for this systems. OK, you can tell me, build it by your self, but there is also no ansi-version of the wxWidgtes-dll (..)

I'm not an experienced developer, believe me. And i'm new in C++, C::B and wxWidgets (i used to develop in C and GTK+ as amateur programmer). I use openSuse 10.2 distro for a few months only. But, i've built my own wxGTK-2.8.4 (ansi and unicode, both in release and debug monolithic shared versions with openGL support) and i'm building C::B from svn sources on my own since rev.37xx (currently r4007 is my last build for Linux platforms). It's really easy, believe me. All i've done is reading the related documentation. BTW, this C::B build can be distributed as a tarballed binary for all linux distros who use a monolithic unicode wxGTK-2.8.x library, i suppose, cos it only needs to be unzipped in the desired folder... and run.

The first times, you could find some troubles. But with a bit of patience you'll be able for building on your own all the tools you need for your box. After all, we all love developing, isn't it?

Try it :)
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Offline eckard_klotz

• Almost regular
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 05:43:44 pm »
Well folks.

The point is not, that I don't have the willpower do to do so, but I have not the time.

"Just follow the cooking-book and build it", sounds quite easy, but if you read the nightly-build forum or the other forums, there are very often problems in the source you have to solve first. And this takes its time.

But I have my one litle open-source project (moritz, an add-on for doxygen to generate nassi-shneiderman diagramms out of the c/c++-sources) and C::B should be only a tool for me to do the deverlopment and debugging of my own sources.

Don't take me wrong, I know what it means to come home after a hard working day and start to do all the things that necessary for a project like C::B. And yes I can also understand that it is important to define clear limits to avoid an uncotroled growing of the todo-list. But on the other side there are alternatives for me that are working good enough without compiling them by my self.

OK. At the moment moritz itself is a terminal-application and I'm still able to do my work with a C::B-version from 14.02.2007. And since some weeks I also hve a new computer with winXP, so there I'm able to use a newer version. But the main reasson to work with C::B was that I was able to use the same IDE on diffrent platforms and in the moment it seams XP is thhe only platform where I can use a current C::B.

At the moment I have to much to do with the next sourceforge-release of my own project. So I don't want to start a parallel project (building C::B on my other systems). But I hope this work is finished end of june and perhaps I will have the time to try it before I start to develop the gui-tool for moritz.

Regards,
                  Eckard Klotz

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 07:25:55 pm »
Eckard,

I understand that it could be frustrating to build Code::Blocks from source, especially when you have to do it on multiple platforms. About the problems, when I started with compiling C::B for myself I had several problems, but they always where problems on my side. Not a good set of compiler tools (like zip and wrong version of MinGW) and a wrong wxWidgets Installation. (and that was the time there was no cookbook for a custom build) But after solving those problems, almost every build is going just fine, when it doesn't? no problem, I use the one I compiled yesterday :)

About releasing nightly builds for multiple platforms: as you know it is time consuming to create multiple builds, especially when it is done by one person, so if you want a recent version you have to do it by yourself.
Of course it is possible to share a build of someone, but well, that is not done very much. Hopefully some *nix freaks will get the time to upload a nightly build (or a weekly)

Offline Deschamps

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 01:43:09 am »
Quote from: mispunt
(..) it is possible to share a build of someone, but well, that is not done very much (..)

In regards to this...

I've no idea on how to make RPM's nor distribute software for Linux platforms (for the time being). But i tried to build Code::Blocks in such a way that it could be distributed as a tarballed binary, as is done by Killerbot with the Windows release. The problem is that i can't test it in other boxes, so i don't know if it works well in other places outside my computer (in my openSuse 10.2 it's running perfectly :)). If it works, the good point is that it'll supposedly work in more distros (i.e. no need for builds for a specific distribution). The cons is that.. well.. it's only a tarballed binary.

So, if someone outside there is so kind for download and test if this works well on his Linux box...: CB_wxFB_4028.tar.gz

Inside the tar.gz you will find my own build for Code::Blocks svn rev.4028 (note: only with core-plugins, but none of the contrib-plugins) and the GUI builder wxFormBuilder svn rev.1106, both linked against wxGTK-2.8.4 (monolithic unicode, also included).

Regards.

Edit: Here is the Windows 7-zip package: CB_wxFB_4028_windows.7z
This Code::Blocks svn rev.4028 build includes all contrib plugins. Moreover, wxFormBuilder svn rev.1106 is also included.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 11:13:22 am by Deschamps »
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Offline kurapix

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 03:19:30 am »
I will upload my built package from SVN for Ubuntu 7.04 (last rev : 4028) later (it is already built but I've got to go now and it takes time to upload in my country).

*EDIT* : Or perhaps you prefer Deschamps *.tar.gz package.

Kurapix
Code::Blocks package building script