Author Topic: problem with wxSmith and Mac-OSX  (Read 20920 times)

Offline Auria

• Almost regular
Re: problem with wxSmith and Mac-OSX
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2007, 03:06:51 am »
Ok, I've updated sources so they use Yields on MAC. I also added Refresh() just before Update() and it works even without timers on Win now (and probably on Linux), but it's not as smooth as when using timers ;). So my request to Auria: Could you test the new code and play with it a little bit? (maybe this Refresh() / Update() sequence will work even withou any yields - using "None" delay type). Anyway, you've writteh that currently there's something shown inside wxSmith but it disappears on some circumstances. Could you describe more exact what are those circumstances? Thanks for your work :)

Regards
   BYO

for some reason the latest SVN (4105) doesn't work on mac - widgets are disappearing

(sorry don't have time to test more right now... any idea what is different now?)

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2007, 04:03:48 am »

Anyway, I'd like to avoid calling Yields because it can lead to some rare crashes, expecially when editor is being closed.

*shudder*
Yield... crash on exit...
Nightmares... backflashes... the horror, the horror!  :o  :lol:

I had talked to Yiannis a lot about this famous wxYield back in 2005... it was so difficult to find a solution of processing the pending messages and NOT getting into a reentrancy problem.

Ah, it's fun to remember the old times, isn't it... ;-)

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2007, 08:36:04 am »
*shudder*
Yield... crash on exit...
Nightmares... backflashes... the horror, the horror!  :o  :lol:
Exactly, Yield comes with troubles, sooner or later :D I just learned that from your lessons ;)

for some reason the latest SVN (4105) doesn't work on mac - widgets are disappearing

(sorry don't have time to test more right now... any idea what is different now?)

:? I'd swear this should work... maybe it really require two delay steps as it was done when first results showed up (first comes yield, second is timer, maybe two timers will be enough).

Regards
   BYO

Offline Auria

• Almost regular
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2007, 05:22:21 pm »
Update :

byo and I have been working together off these forums on the issue.

What was discovered so far:
- wxSmith uses wxScreenDC.
- In a recent udpate, Apple changed Quartz in a way that broke the mac wxScreenDC implementation
- However wxSmith does not need the functionnality of wxScreenDC and it should be possible to use wxClientDC instead.
- Quick code was made to switch to wxClientDC
- It does not yet work however this time it seems like it will be fixable
- BYO is now on vacation i think so no immediate change is to be expected however

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2007, 05:48:52 pm »
Auria: Please work as much as you can on fixing the problems with wxClientDC. If you manage to get it working, please post a patch. Maybe some of us will have the time and will to post your changes.