Author Topic: Proposal: Make compiler and linker command line visible to user  (Read 13119 times)

Andi78

Hi!

As a developer one wants to have control over everything :) Configuring the compiler and linker is really nice in codeblocks, but I can't find a textfield (could be read-only like in MS VS++) showing the complete list of options given to the compiler/linker. In the "build log" window, the call of the compiler/linker is hidden somehow, only the error messages are shown. Would be nice to see the exact command line with all the options there to be able to imagine what the build process does and to find error quickly.

ByeBye, Andi

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Proposal: Make compiler and linker command line visible to user
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 01:05:13 pm »
Would be nice to see the exact command line with all the options there to be able to imagine what the build process does and to find error quickly.
...have a look at my sig.
With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline szczepan

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 04:16:36 pm »
In the "build log" window, the call of the compiler/linker is hidden somehow, only the error messages are shown. Would be nice to see the exact command line with all the options there to be able to imagine what the build process does and to find error quickly.

Even though it is possible to enable full command line display, the depth at which this option is hidden in the configuration dialog seems to be a recurring usability problem for new users (including me when I was a new user). What about a toggle button somewhere near the log window, or a toggle item in the context menu of the log window? Just an idea.

Andi78

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 08:58:32 pm »
Or turn this option on by default... couldn't hurt :)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 09:09:17 pm »
One could also argue like this:
- Is this an advanced option? : Yes.
- Does it make sense to turn advanced options initially on? : No.
I also don't really know where else to put this option. It is related to the tool chain (as it applies not only to the compiler but also to the linker, resource compiler etc...). In addition it is an "other" option - not truly related to any other section available in the compiler options (I mean: other than "other" ;-)). It is further *not* related to the log - as this shows a lot messages, not only compiler/linker commands stuff. So my personal opinion is: It's good as it is.

What other options would we have?

With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
    • Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 09:24:13 pm »
Right Click in Build Window /
  • Show Command Line ?
C::B Wishlist
~BOYCOTT THE EVIL YELLOW BOXES~

Offline szczepan

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 10:24:49 pm »
Right Click in Build Window /
  • Show Command Line ?
I second this :)

Offline szczepan

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 10:33:08 pm »
One could also argue like this:
- Is this an advanced option? : Yes.

... but that's a trivial "yes" IMO. C::B is a programming tool, and programming is an advanced thing to do in the first place :)

- Does it make sense to turn advanced options initially on? : No.

Does it make sense to assume that a programmer is an "advanced user"? : Yes :)

I also don't really know where else to put this option.

You could keep it where it is and add a frontside control for it.

It is related to the tool chain (as it applies not only to the compiler but also to the linker, resource compiler etc...). In addition it is an "other" option - not truly related to any other section available in the compiler options (I mean: other than "other" ;-)).

My humble analysis is that it is a user preference or an environment option, not a compiler option at all, i.e. not actually related to the toolchain. It doesn't affect toolchain operation, does it? By similar logic it is very much related to the log, as the log is the only thing this option affects :)

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 02:48:36 am »
Quote from: szczepan
My humble analysis is that it is a user preference or an environment option, not a compiler option at all, i.e. not actually related to the toolchain. It doesn't affect toolchain operation, does it? By similar logic it is very much related to the log, as the log is the only thing this option affects :)

It's a compiler option because it's the compiler the one that decides what to execute and how to show it in the log. In other words: it's provided by the compiler plugin, so it must be within its options.

If the compiler stuff was part of the IDE as it and not a plugin, it could make sense to move it elsewhere, but that's not the case.

Offline manmach

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 11:51:18 am »
Quote from: szczepan

It's a compiler option because it's the compiler the one that decides what to execute and how to show it in the log. In other words: it's provided by the compiler plugin, so it must be within its options.

If the compiler stuff was part of the IDE as it and not a plugin, it could make sense to move it elsewhere, but that's not the case.

It is not the compiler that decides. If anything, it's the compiler plugin. But that does not change the fact that from the user's point of view, it is part of the display. And therefore it should be a display setting.

Have a look at KDevelop. You can change its output setting by right clicking the view. And without recompiling anything. I would suggest the same would be done for Code::Blocks. Because if most of the time you do not wish to see al the details, you can turn it off. And then when something unexpected happens, you can have a quick peek without having to go to options dialogs and having to rebuild.

Offline Deschamps

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 12:33:04 pm »
Quote from: manmach
(..) if most of the time you do not wish to see al the details, you can turn it off. And then when something unexpected happens, you can have a quick peek without having to go to options dialogs and having to rebuild.

This makes sense for me, and I agree with that point of view.

Regards.
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 05:11:30 pm »
Have a look at KDevelop. You can change its output setting by right clicking the view.
Are you aware of the option to create / view a build log? This is a HTML file will he *full* build log to be reviewed "offline" at any time. I guess that's the option you are looking for.
With regards, Morten.

Offline manmach

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 06:50:41 pm »
Are you aware of the option to create / view a build log? This is a HTML file will he *full* build log to be reviewed "offline" at any time. I guess that's the option you are looking for.
With regards, Morten.

Hi Morten,

No, it is not the option I was looking for, but until we have you convinced it should be added, at least it is an acceptable work-around :-)

The reason why, is because it is far less convenient. As far as I can tell, the only way to see the build log is to leave the IDE and use a file manager to locate the file and open it.

The quickest way I could think of was to:
 1. copy the location reported in the Build log saved as-line
 2. open an explorer window
 3. paste the location in the address bar

And that is only when you have discovered that it is an option that can be turned on.

Whereas it could be as simple as:
 1. right click in build log view
 2. select 'full command line'

I am already looking at the build log view when I notice something is wrong.

I hope something similar will be added and I really recommend looking at KDevelop. I am not suggesting that this should replace the option to save to file, because that is useful too.

Offline Roman

MSVC Command Line
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 09:48:46 pm »
Hi guys!

All works ok with mingw (concerning full command line) but when i try to compile with "msvc toolkit 2003" there is no command line. Is it a bug/regression? I couldn't get a command line for this case even with some research efforts. If I'm just lamer please tell me how to do that!

Best Regards
Roman
CB LSI (C::B as a Little Secret Initiative)

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 10:19:04 pm »
Make sure the MSVC Toolkit 2003 compiler is selected in the dropdown list when viewing the compiler options.
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)