Author Topic: OS X downloads confusion  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Auria

• Almost regular
OS X downloads confusion
« on: May 18, 2007, 01:46:06 am »
Taken from the page on BerliOS with mac binaries (http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=5358):

Mac OS X 10.4 binaries (Universal)
CB_20060914_rev2976_macx86.zip   
ArcH :i386
.zip

Is it universal or not? (to non-mac users: universal = both PPC and x86 arch compatible) I think this should be clarified because now it says yes and no at the same time.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Re: OS X downloads confusion
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 08:42:27 am »
I 'd say "trust what the package says". Maybe berlios doesn't have a "universal" arch to select when releasing a file (I haven't noticed). But if afb released a file which contains the word "universal" in its name, I 'd say trust afb :).
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline afb

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 09:32:20 am »
Taken from the page on BerliOS with mac binaries (http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=5358):

Mac OS X 10.4 binaries (Universal)
CB_20060914_rev2976_macx86.zip   
ArcH :i386
.zip

Is it universal or not? (to non-mac users: universal = both PPC and x86 arch compatible) I think this should be clarified because now it says yes and no at the same time.

It's not really any confusion. Originally we had a PowerPC version called "macppc" for Mac OS X 10.3 that worked on Intel too (using Rosetta). Now we have a Universal version called "macx86" for Mac OS X 10.4 that works on Intel but also works on PowerPC (since it has binaries for both architectures). So all the binaries released are Universal, and they should work on PPC - except for the bugs of course ;-)

BTW: The last release said "mac264" (for wx 2.6.4) and "mac284" (for wx 2.8.4) instead...

Maybe berlios doesn't have a "universal" arch to select when releasing a file (I haven't noticed).

Exactly, BerliOS doesn't have a universal arch to choose from but still demands that you choose one...

SourceForge has added one, but BerliOS haven't caught up yet.

Offline Auria

• Almost regular
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 02:53:58 pm »
Ok thanks
I kinda figured out there was no universal architecture, but then I thought you'd put 'universal' in the file name and not 'x86' ;) well the new names (mac284) are good so no problem

I 'd say "trust what the package says".
Well exactly they had 'x86' in the name despite being universal so that's a bit misleading  :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 03:41:39 pm by Auria »