Author Topic: New website done! :D  (Read 21693 times)

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
New website done! :D
« on: July 23, 2005, 08:33:46 am »
I e-mailed the code to Yiannis so he can upload it.

We'll be adding info on the developers as you post them.

darklordsatan

Re: New website done! :D
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 07:20:22 pm »
Simply put, it rocks like hell!!!!! Whoaaaaa yeah!
Amazing. Im looking forwards to make my website like that!. Its cool that is made with XHTML. I have a question rick, would you mind to give us some info on what tools you (and per) used?, and a little offtopic, is it made with tables or just CSS?

Also, the new forums rock! I never heard before of simple machines, but is way better than the old forums, looks more tidy and professional. Did you had to dump the old forum tables yourself and then convert 'em to simple machines or did you use an script.
Sorry for so much questions but I just would like to know!
Congrats for this effort. Now C::B is not behind of any M$ VS's in regards of functionality, nor a professional looking website either  :D! Just in time for the new release.

Cheers

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 07:26:12 pm »
Also, the new forums rock! I never heard before of simple machines, but is way better than the old forums, looks more tidy and professional. Did you had to dump the old forum tables yourself and then convert 'em to simple machines or did you use an script.
Sorry for so much questions but I just would like to know!
Congrats for this effort. Now C::B is not behind of any M$ VS's in regards of functionality, nor a professional looking website either  :D! Just in time for the new release.
I 'm glad you like the changes!
Rick and Per have put a lot of work in the new site and I must say I was impressed too :)

As for the forum, I was amazed with it the first time I heard about it. It has many more features than phpbb and it seems a hell of a lot faster to me.
The conversion was done with a script they provide for transition from phpbb2 (they have for other forums too ;) ).

Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline kagerato

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • kagerato.net
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 09:25:43 pm »
Amazing. Im looking forwards to make my website like that!. Its cool that is made with XHTML. I have a question rick, would you mind to give us some info on what tools you (and per) used?, and a little offtopic, is it made with tables or just CSS?

It still uses tables, but judging from the sources they're laid out in a much simpler fashion than before.

I was wondering that myself.  So I used google to find out:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=17945.msg151257

It looks like there's been a script for the conversion since last year.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 01:43:46 am »
I have a question rick, would you mind to give us some info on what tools you (and per) used?, and a little offtopic, is it made with tables or just CSS?

Both. I use CSS for 99% of the styling. Tables for the layout. On firefox, download the "web developer toolbar" and press ctrl-shift-s. Then you'll see what i mean. :-)

darklordsatan

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 03:18:41 am »
On firefox, download the "web developer toolbar" and press ctrl-shift-s. Then you'll see what i mean. :-)

:mrgreen: Awesome, I dont know how I havent heard of that extension before, thanks!

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005, 09:25:31 am »
Hi Rick
my congratulations too,
i was really shocked today, when i loaded http://codeblocks.org
first i thought, oops i'm wrong but then ... awesome !
i like it !

one thing what i would like in the forum, if it is possible,
is an additional link to "Show all threads with new posts from the last 24h"

-tiwag

Offline kagerato

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • kagerato.net
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 07:30:17 pm »

Something very similar to this already exists.  Inside the "user info" box at the top of the page, there's a link which displays 'unread posts since last visit'.  I'm unsure why one would want functionality based on a fixed time interval instead.

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 08:26:40 am »

Something very similar to this already exists.  Inside the "user info" box at the top of the page, there's a link which displays 'unread posts since last visit'.  I'm unsure why one would want functionality based on a fixed time interval instead.

normally i also use 'unread posts since last visit' , but there were several situations, where i wanted to reply to some posts and couldn't find them easily again, because i had already read them before and a few hours later it doesn't appear by the 'unread posts since last visit' of course.
From other forums which i visit regulary i know, they have implemented advanced search functions where one can search also for posts within a certain posting date and time (first and/or last post of thread,... time window, etcpp) and they also have a button on the front page to show all threads with 'new posts within the last 24h' which is prooved to be very convenient.

@rick
please choose a bigger font for code 
Code
 code font is too small 
i find it's too small relative to the text-font.

could you expand the advanced search options in order to contain date-&time-searching facilities, then i can build my own search scripts and will not have to unassure people here.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 09:16:24 am »
In the advanced search, there is a "Message age" option which defaults to "from 0 to 9999". I was wondering, changing it to "from 0 to 1" whouldn't it only search for posts in the last day?

Yiannis.
Be patient!

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 10:04:39 am »
@rick
Code
 code font is too small 

I enlarged it. Is it better now?

Yiannis.
Be patient!

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 10:11:16 am »
In the advanced search, there is a "Message age" option which defaults to "from 0 to 9999".
I was wondering, changing it to "from 0 to 1" whouldn't it only search for posts in the last day?

i tried it "from 0 to 1 days", but when i left the "search for" field blank, it doesn't search all posts,
rather than it nags about forgotten search text, when i put in "*" it searches all "*", nicely, but not what i want  :)

@rick
Code
 code font is too small 

I enlarged it. Is it better now?
perfect, thanks !

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 06:41:52 pm »
I agree with tiwag. There should be a "5 or 10 most recent posts". Can it be done?

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 06:47:59 pm »
I agree with tiwag. There should be a "5 or 10 most recent posts". Can it be done?
"5 or 10 most recent" or "posts in the last 24 hrs" ?
You got me confused  :|

Yiannis.
Be patient!

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 06:54:51 pm »
Oh oops. Well, posts in the last 24 hours would be fine. Most recent posts would be fine too. However you please :)