Author Topic: [Suggestion] Ideas for Code::Blocks.  (Read 7034 times)

Offline kurapix

• Multiple posting newcomer
[Suggestion] Ideas for Code::Blocks.
« on: April 22, 2007, 12:38:22 pm »
[Suggestion] Ideas for the replacement functionality.

Hi guys!
I have an idea for  replacement functionality.
At the moment it replace by seeking a precise text, but what if it could detect that it's a variable or a function or a class ....?
I mean, instead of having to replace name variables by other name variable one by one or all match (which can cause disaster in some case) why not having a replacement functionality that detects the variable name then you can change this variable name and it change it in all the source (so it's much safer than replacing all match).

I hope my idea is clear enough.

Kurapix
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 11:16:27 am by kurapix »
Code::Blocks package building script

Offline raph

• Almost regular
Re: [Suggestion] Ideas for the replacement functionality.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 03:09:02 pm »
Wow, would be really cool. Very much like rightclicking on a variable/function/class/...->"Rename".

Poobah

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 02:57:00 am »
Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.

Offline jpaterso

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 03:38:15 am »
It sounds like some sort of refactoring, which is actually very complicated in C++...

Offline Roman

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 09:56:25 am »
I hope my idea is clear enough.

Surely, idea is clear but did You try code completion functionality? It is cool and useful, but contains clearly visible bugs/flaws. I'm sure developers have spent giant efforts to make it 100% perfect. Even MS code completion sometimes sucks. Despite of tons of coders.
The functionality You propose has to be 100% reliable which is far from reality. But text replacement is.

My opinion about this is that if there were common reliable open framework that would be used BOTH by compiler and by IDE then Your idea might be incarnated. It is rather far from reality.

Regards
Roman
CB LSI (C::B as a Little Secret Initiative)

Offline kurapix

Re: [Suggestion] Ideas for Code::Blocks.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 11:37:34 am »
Yeah that's far from reality but what if the developpers manage to get Code completion work out of the box?
Then my idea would be possible (since Code completion should detect if it's a function, variable, object, ...) but there is a long road until then for sure.

I have others ideas :
- add ability to make makefile, ./configure, ... file like Anjuta
- add ability to import projects from Anjuta.
- add plugins for cvs and svn support.
- add plugins for reading some docs (so we have the documentation next to our sources)
- add hierarchical/tree view of projects to allow better organisation (and shows the linking between source files).
- add ability to unactivate some functions by checking checkbox next to code (it should function a bit like folding functionnality but instead of folding it desactivate the code, it should also automatically desactivate these function calls, ...).
I could be useful for seeing how a program would run if we delete some parts of the code source (for clean up for example) or others stuffs.

Kurapix

Offline kelo81

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 01:44:50 pm »
- add ability to unactivate some functions by checking checkbox next to code (it should function a bit like folding functionnality but instead of folding it desactivate the code, it should also automatically desactivate these function calls, ...).
I could be useful for seeing how a program would run if we delete some parts of the code source (for clean up for example) or others stuffs.

Humm, I don't know... this seems to be out of the main purpose of an IDE... Why do you want to unactivate a fuction?, if you're debugging your code, you can just comment the undesired functions I think... Codeblocks is a powerful IDE, appart of that very complex implementation you mentioned, I think this is not real C++ programming... (but it's just my opinion).

I found the other ideas cool. Perhaps someone would like to make a documentation plugin some day (like Kdevelop with doxygen).  :)
Ezequiel Ruiz
Tango/04 consultant
www.tango04.com

Offline kurapix

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 09:35:36 pm »
It's been some time now that I was thnking that we have a reduce space for editor because of the other window (Management of "Open Files List for example). We can close them but if we need them we have to open them again from the menu (which is not praticall).

I think it would be great to have an interface similar to Kdevelopp (the space for the editor is optimized):
- possibility to reduce the windows and to close them (it would fonction more like tabs like Kdevelopp).
- an integrated file explorer
- documentation reader (from file but have to detect the man pages on Linux and possibility to add our documentation folders).

Kurapix