Author Topic: Using Mingw and OpenSG together  (Read 3980 times)

Offline chrisdicko

• Single posting newcomer
Using Mingw and OpenSG together
« on: April 19, 2007, 03:09:59 pm »
Just thought I would ask this before spending another night or three wrestling with incompatible libraries.

Has anyone successfully used OpenSG with Mingw? The OpenSG site suggests only compatible with the compiler that forget-their-name makes which I have never used.

As it uses g++ under linux then it should be possible with a Cygwin build maybe?

Thanks in advance - even a NO would be good!

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
Re: Using Mingw and OpenSG together
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 03:36:00 pm »
This is not really a Code::Blocks-related question.

At any rate, no, I have never used OpenSG with MinGW (not having heard of OpenSG until today). Since the OpenSG documentation makes no mention of MinGW, it's almost certain that OpenSG won't work with MinGW. Apparently, Cygwin is actually required when doing the MSVC-based build; I presume that one could manage a Cygwin-only build by mostly following the instructions for a Linux build.
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline chrisdicko

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 03:49:25 pm »
Yes I do agree that it is not a C::B question and apologies.

Trying to save time! For background - I am teaching the first and second years of a C++ Games Dev college course and am trying to find packages suitable for 3D - OpenGL based development. I have 120 students all using C::B nightly builds. They (mostly) all prefer it to the M$ product which they have to use for other subjects. Ogre is the best candidate so far but is a bit OTT for learners.

Thanks for the reply.

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 04:03:59 pm »
Have you looked at Irrlicht? I've used it myself and would judge it both powerful and fairly easy to work with. Code::Blocks includes an Irrlicht project wizard, though I haven't used it in a while and don't know if it's up-to-date (paging Dr. Biplab...).

See the Irrlicht HelloWorld tutorial and features page.
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline chrisdicko

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 04:35:49 pm »
Thanks TDragon

I'll have a look at it. As each engine has different qualities I think I will let the students choose the engine that suits their group (final) projects. Off load the deep researching to the poor student?! We are currently using OpenGL for 3D rendering in an SDL framework.

Quality of documentation is a big issue as well in a teaching environment.