Author Topic: WxFormBuilder ...WxSmith  (Read 34473 times)

Offline Grom

• Almost regular
Re: WxFormBuilder ...WxSmith
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 05:24:08 pm »
wxFormBuider doesn't support events generation in the same sense as wxSmith and wxDevCpp. I can't modify the generated text of the program!!!. This is the weakest point of it. I didn't start using wxSmith for all forms and panels of my project only because it doesn't have wxGrid in components palette. The custom build components probably will solve that problem. BYO is making a good work and Code::Blocks team has to help him a lot.
gcc+winXP+suse.

Offline RJP Computing

• Almost regular
    • RJP Computing
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 05:39:36 pm »
I think more disscusion about wxFormBuilder should move to the official wxFormBuilder forum. :)

wxFormBuider doesn't support events generation in the same sense as wxSmith and wxDevCpp. I can't modify the generated text of the program!!!. This is the weakest point of it.
Well I completely beg to differ. This is a strong point of it in my opinion. I used to think that it wasn't the best way to write the GUI code, but after using it for some time it is the only way to go. It keeps your GUI code separated from your implementation of the user interface events and initialization. Once you give it a change it really cleans up your code. Plus there is no chance that a program is going to overwrite any of your code. ;)
- Ryan

Ubuntu/WinXP, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1000MB RAM, AC 97 Audio, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB

Offline rjmyst3

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • wxFormBuilder
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 08:10:13 pm »
wxFormBuider doesn't support events generation in the same sense as wxSmith and wxDevCpp. I can't modify the generated text of the program!!!. This is the weakest point of it.
Well I completely beg to differ. This is a strong point of it in my opinion. I used to think that it wasn't the best way to write the GUI code, but after using it for some time it is the only way to go. It keeps your GUI code separated from your implementation of the user interface events and initialization. Once you give it a change it really cleans up your code. Plus there is no chance that a program is going to overwrite any of your code. ;)

@RJPComputing
I'm not sure that you clarified things for Grom.

As I understand it, Grom is saying that the code that wxFB generates is not useful because it cannot be edited. So it seems like there is no way to modify the GUI with wxFB after the generated code has been integrated into an application.

@Grom
If that is how you perceived things, Grom, let me explain.

The classes that wxFB generates are intended to be used as base classes. The intent is that you never modify the files that wxFB generates, you create inherited classes for the forms in separate files. This separates functional code from gui layout code. So, when you modify the GUI with wxFB and regenerate, only the files containing the base classes are changed, and the files containing your implementation code are left untouched.

It is true that it takes a bit more effort to create those inherited classes for your implementation code, but there is a "GenerateInheritedClass" wizard to help with that.

RJPComputing assumed that you understood that (and maybe you did), and was explaining that he has come to prefer keeping gui and functional code in separate files, as opposed to the "normal" use of specialized comments to separate gui and functional code in the same file.

Offline Grom

• Almost regular
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2007, 03:02:06 am »
The strategy of wxFormBuilder is not convenient... I can't navigate the events from GUI.
gcc+winXP+suse.

Offline RJP Computing

• Almost regular
    • RJP Computing
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 04:41:24 am »
The strategy of wxFormBuilder is not convenient... I can't navigate the events from GUI.
Not sure what you mean. It supports events. There is a tab for events and it supports events for all the main widgets. Check out the screen shots. Look under the 'Object Properties' on the right.
- Ryan

Ubuntu/WinXP, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1000MB RAM, AC 97 Audio, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB

Offline creatxr

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2007, 01:17:07 pm »
while design form with wxSmith

it seems it's difficult like design form with java

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 01:18:40 pm by creatxr »

Offline creatxr

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2007, 01:23:38 pm »
design form with wxdevcpp/delphi/c++build

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2007, 01:30:00 pm »
1) wxSmith uses sizers for control positioning whereas wxDevC++ doesn't uses (by default) sizer. wxWidgets recommends the use of Sizers.

2) Sizers have several advantages. If you design a resizable Window, it will be less painful than the code generated by wxDevC++.

3) Don't compare Delphi with C::B (wxSmith). They are not comparable. No Delphi IDE exists in Mac and the Linux version died. They use different Language. One is commercial and the other is open source. So on and so forth...

4) Please Don't post same contents to Different threads.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 01:49:08 pm by Biplab »
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.