Author Topic: [REQUEST][DONE thanx to Wxlearner] Now hide BLACK FOLD LINES in the editor!  (Read 23560 times)

Offline foldingBLACKlinesSUCK

• Multiple posting newcomer
Thankx to Wxlearner for his help... Download the dll from his post below!  :D

ScreenShot of Code::Blocks Editor[Good, But My request for change will make it the best!]
ScreenShot of Visual C++ Editor[Better!]

1) Do you really like the DARK BLACK lines after folded blocks, Aren't they distracting?
2) Can really focus on what you do?
3) Doesn't it make the interface cluttery?
I felt so... I absolutely donot know what scintella is, nor do I want to! I need to resume my work.. so I hope someone undertakes my request!  :(

Please... I kindly request you all to cast a vote honestly.... Everyone should enjoy their his right to suffrage!  :D
Actual Poll above, So Speak OUT there!
These are the previous votes[from locked thread]:

I hope this post looks kind & like a request....[I'm still revising this post...]
PS: I am currently in the process of gathering all threads related to this topic!

Sorry, Due to lack of sleep, my previous topic might have appeared rampant to  you all....
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 07:44:30 pm by foldingBLACKlinesSUCK »

Offline saddam le pion

You are right, the code is hard to read.

Offline kkez

• Almost regular
    • WinapiZone
I do want (and love) the black fold line. It's the fastest way to see if a block is folded or not.

By seeing your code, you might get less black lines if you put a newline between the function's last parenthesis and the curly bracket.
Code
void function() 
{ //...

Apart from my opinion, this is a feature request you should ask to scintilla's team. I kindly request you to know things before asking.

I do want (and love) the black fold line. It's the fastest way to see if a block is folded or not.

By seeing your code, you might get less black lines if you put a newline between the function's last parenthesis and the curly bracket.
Code
void function() 
{ //...

Apart from my opinion, this is a feature request you should ask to scintilla's team. I kindly request you to know things before asking.

i would always protect my original source, That's just the PUBLIC graphics.c (if you are familiar with what it is! I donot program for P.C's but portable's).

Just like other editor, in order to distinguish between a folded block without a line, this would be better:
[PIC in 1st post edited]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 08:56:43 pm by foldingBLACKlinesSUCK »

Offline saddam le pion

It's the fastest way to see if a block is folded or not.

Personally, i only look at the minus/plus sign; it is enough. The black lines are an annoyance; in fact, they are one of the reasons why i use another IDE (2 in fact) in parallel with CB, because they have not these lines.

This debate around these black lines remind me of another very similar debate: the table borders in html code.
For this debate, the lines presence or not, and their best size have been scientifically, carefully studied. It has been proven that they are an annoyance, and must be removed in almost any case. Afterward, a dedicated website has been created to explain everything.
What is also interesting, is that the scientific reasons why table borders must not be present in html code, are fully appliable to our debate about black lines in CB.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 09:19:41 pm by saddam le pion »

Offline idhan

Its clear that for some user the black fold lines are useful and for others not. Personally I don't like this feature. I prefer the visual studio style.

void metod1()
{..}
 int data()
{..}

The best solution is to be an optional feature, that way all the users get what they need :-)

Offline courage

I felt so... I absolutely donot know what scintella is, nor do I want to! I need to resume my work.. so I hope someone undertakes my request!  :(

Hmm...... I think to support different options might be a long way to go. :?
Please see scintella screenshot.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 02:53:50 am by courage »

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
I wanted to reply your last thread. But it was closed.

FYI, wxScintilla (A derivative of Scintilla) is one of the core components of Code::Blocks (C::B). This is NOT Developed or Maintained by C::B team. We'll take up and fix a problem, iff the problem is in implementation of wxScintilla in C::B. We're not bothered about fixing any bugs or adding any new features in Scintilla or wxScintilla. It's beyond our scope.

So if you don't want to understand the problem and just yell on us that it sucks!!, any moderator will close your threads as the threads are very aggressive in nature.

Personally, i only look at the minus/plus sign; it is enough. The black lines are an annoyance; in fact, they are one of the reasons why i use another IDE (2 in fact) in parallel with CB, because they have not these lines.

Most commercial editors (MSVC, Borland Editors) do not use Scintilla and it could be one of the reasons that you don't see them.

If you are talking about wxDevC++, it's not using Scintilla (AFAIK). They use JVCL.

1) Do you really like the DARK BLACK lines after folded blocks, Aren't they distracting?
2) Can really focus on what you do?
3) Doesn't it make the interface cluttery?
To sum up, AFAIK, it's a problem in Scintilla. There's no such easily accessible function which can allow us to change it easily. So if it really bothers you, do the following.

1. First, request Scintilla team to add this feature in their upcoming releases.
2. Once they add it, then make a request to wxScintilla team to update their release.
3. After wxScintilla has been updated, put a post here.

Try some other Scintilla based Text Editors and IDE, the behaviour would be same; you'll see the black lines.
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline saddam le pion

Most commercial editors (MSVC, Borland Editors) do not use Scintilla and it could be one of the reasons that you don't see them.

Surely they don't use Scintilla; but the main point is that these companies carefully study everything. If they all choose NOT to put black line, it is NOT because their devs or someone else didn't like these lines.
As as pointed in my last post, they study scientifically how the brains react and take into account the presence or not of these lines. They concluded that the lines add supplementary work to the brain. The more there are lines on a screen, the more supplementary work for the brain. That means lesser time for the brain to think about everything else.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 06:48:08 pm by saddam le pion »

Offline courage

The more there are lines on a screen, the more supplementary work for the brain. That means lesser time for the brain to think about everything else.

You are definitely right!
But we should request Scintilla team to support, shouldn't we?

wxLearner

Hello,
personally I don't know, what folding is good for in an IDE like Code::Blocks. I think, the symbols browser is a much better solution to have an overview. If you compile Code::Blocks yourself, it isn't hard to patch Scintilla yourself. The location to look at, is the block starting at line 2915 in src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/Editor.cxx. If you don't want to do it yourself, I've applied a small patch, so now the block looks like this:
Code
PRectangle rcFoldLine = rcLine;
rcFoldLine.top = rcFoldLine.bottom - 1;

rcFoldLine.right = xStart + 4;
surface->FillRectangle(rcFoldLine, vs.styles[STYLE_DEFAULT].fore.allocated);

rcFoldLine.left = rcFoldLine.right + 4;
rcFoldLine.right += 8;

rcFoldLine.right += 8;
and it makes the folding in Code::Blocks looks like in this screenshot.
You can download the patched wxcintilla.dll here and extract it into your Code::Blocks folder. I've tested it with the latest nightly.

ascxaxsvcbsxbbqvcxqsbcvxs

I think, the symbols browser is a much better solution to have an overview.
You're right; but the folding without black lines is also nice.

it makes the folding in Code::Blocks looks like in this screenshot.
You can download the patched wxcintilla.dll here and extract it into your Code::Blocks folder. I've tested it with the latest nightly.
Well done!

Offline courage

Thanks a lot!  :)

Hello,
personally I don't know, what folding is good for in an IDE like Code::Blocks. I think, the symbols browser is a much better solution to have an overview. If you compile Code::Blocks yourself, it isn't hard to patch Scintilla yourself. The location to look at, is the block starting at line 2915 in src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/Editor.cxx. If you don't want to do it yourself, I've applied a small patch, so now the block looks like this:
Code
PRectangle rcFoldLine = rcLine;
rcFoldLine.top = rcFoldLine.bottom - 1;

rcFoldLine.right = xStart + 4;

rcFoldLine.right += 8;

rcFoldLine.right += 8;
and it makes the folding in Code::Blocks looks like in this screenshot.

EXCELLENT. Indeed Awsome... I was just in the process of looking through all the sources myself thinking that this would too be ignored... AWSOME once again...
Thanx, I am now a happy coder for Portables! Hope this gets stickied to help other if they too donot like these lines!

I thank this great community... The interface now looks A LOT better! :)

Thanks alll! Happy  :D

NEW  UPDATE: NOW I prefer Code::Blocks to VS2005's Editor!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 07:45:39 pm by foldingBLACKlinesSUCK »

Offline idhan

Hi,

I have install CB using the last debian package for kubuntu, but how can I apply this patch????
I really want to use the same configuration, if I need to compile wxWidgets with the patch, someone can explain me step by step how to do that? because using the debian packages is automatic and I haven't see any CB code.

thanks a lot
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 12:27:12 pm by idhan »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
I have install CB using the last debian package for kubuntu, but how can I apply this patch????
You cannot. If you want to apply this patch, you must compile Code::Blocks yourself from sources (and apply the patch to the respective part of the sources before that).
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline idhan

yes, but if I have to compile CB how can I do that was my next question, can you help me with that??

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
yes, but if I have to compile CB how can I do that was my next question, can you help me with that??
   //-- Wiki Index
    CodeBlocks Wiki Index
   //-- Wiki Main Page
    CodeBlocks Wiki Main Page

Search the wiki index for "compiling" '"installing" "cookbook" etc

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Basically it is as easy as ./bootstrap && ./configure && make && sudo make install

But there is a better way using fakeroot and debbuild... I don't remember the exact commands, though.
This way would produce a .deb package that you can install and uninstall cleanly.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

ascxaxsvcbsxbbqvcxqsbcvxs

Surely they don't use Scintilla; but the main point is that these companies carefully study everything. If they all choose NOT to put black line, it is NOT because their devs or someone else didn't like these lines.
As as pointed in my last post, they study scientifically how the brains react and take into account the presence or not of these lines. They concluded that the lines add supplementary work to the brain. The more there are lines on a screen, the more supplementary work for the brain. That means lesser time for the brain to think about everything else.

Interesting explanation! we need these kind
I like specially the "supplementary work to the brain": that's exactly what i feel when reading code with the black lines, even before reading your post!  :D

phil_stennett

Can someone please repost the dll or send it to me as the link is broken.
Thanks!

wxLearner

I've reuploaded it here.

I've reuploaded it here.

Thanks... Also Reenables support for the new dll...

-Another Happy CodeBlocks user!  :lol:

Re: [REQUEST][DONE thanx to Wxlearner] Now hide BLACK FOLD LINES in the editor!
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2007, 06:37:17 pm »
I've reuploaded it here.

Thanks... Also Reenables support for the new dll...

-Another Happy CodeBlocks user!  :lol:

Can anyone re-upload it?
Accidentally replaced the whole folder which replaced wxscintilla.dll!

Re: [REQUEST][DONE thanx to Wxlearner] Now hide BLACK FOLD LINES in the editor!
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2007, 09:56:37 pm »
Pleeease... Can anyone patch the source ?  :? and build it.... KINDLY. Plz

Wxpack... and wxscintilla and wxwidgets, I simply can't get it to work  :(

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
just for reference here is a better solution than patching wxscintilla, since it already provides some functions that make the work to hide the underlines when folding, the problem was that it was to hidden and not documented clearly.

Here is the solution
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,7543.0.html

Totally eliminating underlines makes it very hard to pick out braces  :(

Does anyone have the upload by wxLearner (The updated link is broken) ?
or Could anyone patch wxScintilla please?   :o

My project has gone to such deep depths that I am NOT able to focus at all. Kindly help  :)

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 09:51:54 pm by foldingBLACKlinesSUCK »

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
Try using the folded line indicators as your guides (also try changing indicator style, it may help you another style), thats what I do and I don't get lost in long code.

Try using the folded line indicators as your guides (also try changing indicator style, it may help you another style), thats what I do and I don't get lost in long code.

Since the beginning I had a problem with those black lines.

Even totally eliminating lines it is very hard to follow along with the code.

Can you compile wxScintilla with patches in first page?  :oops:

--

I will meanwhile try posting in sourceforge forum of wxScintilla.  :?