Author Topic: No again @ weird "error"  (Read 16326 times)

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
No again @ weird "error"
« on: July 11, 2005, 01:26:13 am »
The first time I compiled Code::Blocks with wxWidgets 2.6.0 I got a weird "error" and couldn't find the reason.

Decided to compile wxWidgets 2.6.1 and recompile Code::Blocks and it (the "error") went away.

A few days ago I got Windows XP to self-destruct and I had to reinstall it, even though I saved all my stuff (back-up), including my MinGW installation, compiled libraries (including DLL and .a), Code::Blocks CVS and the latest functional version I compiled.

I decided to run Code::Blocks but the weird "error" is back, I recompiled it and the error is still there. I cannot really find the reason, it makes no sense at all.

Here's a screenshot (see the red ?): http://gda.utp.edu.co/~ceniza/CBCVS.png (ignore the code, I was testing the Code Completion plugin)

The "workspace widget/tree" isn't drawn at all, even though it's functional: if I open a project and click here and there the files get opened and with right click I get the menus, but it'll still be the same white space.

Anyone else has run into that? Got to solve it? Know the reason at least?

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
No again @ weird "error"
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 03:35:35 am »
Ok, it seems I finally found the problem.

Code::Blocks by default tries to open HOMEDIR/.CodeBlocks/default.workspace, which I hadn't. I added an empty file with that name there and nothing happened. I got to rename it, save it, get it to load again (restarting Code::Blocks) and nothing.

I changed the Environment settings of "On application start-up" to "open blank workspace", restarted Code::Blocks and it worked!

So... it's a Code::Blocks' problem. Was it already fixed and I missed it?

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
No again @ weird "error"
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 04:14:35 am »
Man! You should report it to Sourceforge. I found a couple of configuration problems (registry) as well. Reported them, btw.

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
Re: No again @ weird "error"
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 08:36:07 am »
Quote from: Ceniza
... Code::Blocks but the weird "error" is back
... Here's a screenshot (see the red ?): http://gda.utp.edu.co/~ceniza/CBCVS.png
...Anyone else has run into that?...

get the same bug here, when compiling CB with wx261

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
No again @ weird "error"
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 10:23:20 am »
Me to... even when I open a project..
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
Re: No again @ weird "error"
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 01:13:08 am »
i compiled CB CVS HEAD just now and unfortunately the "no Workspace bug" hasn't gone  :(

look at the "?"

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
No again @ weird "error"
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 01:32:20 am »
Try this: Open Code::Blocks, go to Settings, Environments, View.

Now set "On application start-up" to "Open blank workspace". Save the changes, close Code::Blocks and open it again. That made it for me.

A new weird "error" I'm getting with the current CVS version (the one using wxDockIt) is this one http://gda.utp.edu.co/~ceniza/CBCVS2.png (no ? needed to show what it is this time :))

It happens when I open Code::Blocks, sometimes when I'm going to edit a file, when I click on Symbols tab, ...

If I restore and maximize again it gets in the right place.

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
No again @ weird "error"
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 02:03:12 am »
Try this: Open Code::Blocks, go to Settings, Environments, View.

Now set "On application start-up" to "Open blank workspace". Save the changes, close Code::Blocks and open it again. That made it for me.

Thanks for this tip, that did it for me too. With your description it should be fairly easy to find the bug. It's reproducible, at least here by me.
Whenever i check "Open default workspace" the "no Workspace bug" appears.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
No again @ weird "error"
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 05:49:02 am »
:( This is why I didn't want to use wx2.6.1 by default :( . Let's hope these bugs are fixed soon.

darklordsatan

No again @ weird "error"
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 07:51:38 am »
I might be skipping the obvious here, but I dont see any "On application start-up" in Settings, Environments, View.
All I see is "On project open", "Toolbar icons size" and "Default editor interface" (that is disabled).
Im obviously using the final beta. Are you guys talking about the cvs version?

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
No again @ weird "error"
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 08:01:00 am »
yes, we are :P

Anyway, I have a hunch.
*HUNCH ALERT, HUNCH ALERT, Rick's got another hunch* :lol:

Yiannis, don't you do constantly a savetreestate, etc. (i.e. freeze / thaw) to prevent the tree from updating? Maybe you miss a restore in there, and this is why it doesn't get updated at all.

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
No again @ weird "error"
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 08:45:15 am »
...A new weird "error" I'm getting with the current CVS version (the one using wxDockIt) is this one http://gda.utp.edu.co/~ceniza/CBCVS2.png (no ? needed to show what it is this time :))

It happens when I open Code::Blocks, sometimes when I'm going to edit a file, when I click on Symbols tab, ...

now i played a while with this cvs-HEAD-wx261 version too, but i didn't get the same bug as you're showing in your screenshot.

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
No again @ weird "error"
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 08:54:24 am »
Quote from: rickg22
This is why I didn't want to use wx2.6.1 by default ...

Hey Rick, you're right ! i also keep CB-cvs-VERSION_1_0-wx242 as my trusted working copy,
but if we don't switch to wx261, i fear the progress on patching bugs will not go fast enough.
So i'll try to use CB-cvs-HEAD-wx261 as standard in order to find bugs -
and i'm continously improving my wxWidgets-skills too, in order to be able to help in development soon.
If i get in some unrecoverable errors with the CB-cvs-HEAD-wx261 version,
i switch temporarily back to CB-cvs-VERSION_1_0-wx242.

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
No again @ weird "error"
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 09:02:22 pm »
A new weird "error" I'm getting with the current CVS version (the one using wxDockIt) is this one http://gda.utp.edu.co/~ceniza/CBCVS2.png (no ? needed to show what it is this time :))

:lol: LOL :lol: It looks like that the posistion of the Docked window isn't saved correctly :)
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
No again @ weird "error"
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 09:45:46 pm »

I noticed some weird things too, while using wx2.4...
What wx version did you use?

Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
No again @ weird "error"
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 01:55:23 am »
Quote from: mandrav

I'm using wxWidgets 2.6.1-Patch01 with MinGW's GCC 3.4.4 configured and build thru MSys. Is that enough info? :)

mandrav: I found in the README file of wxDockIt that you changed something. Is this error what you tried to solve?

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
No again @ weird "error"
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2005, 08:42:19 am »
Quote from: mandrav

I'm using wxWidgets 2.6.1-Patch01 with MinGW's GCC 3.4.4 configured and build thru MSys. Is that enough info? :)

Hehehe, yup :)

mandrav: I found in the README file of wxDockIt that you changed something. Is this error what you tried to solve?

Now that I think of it, it might had something to do with it. The "update layout" event was fired before the actual layout took place. I moved the event firing after layout.
I noticed the bug with the project manager's page, which has a splitter for the opened files list and the splitter would go to position -22 because, when recalculating, the docks weren't in place yet.
So, yes, it might have something to do with it...

Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
No again @ weird "error"
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2005, 08:44:34 am »
Cool! So that means it'll be fixed soon? :D