Author Topic: GCC 4.1.2 available (now relocatable!)  (Read 74226 times)

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
Re: GCC 4.1.2 available (now relocatable!)
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2007, 02:00:48 am »
mingw is c:\wingw
codeblocks is on c:\bin\codeblocks
I made some tests exactly now: old code (from 4.1.1) are debuged normally. Issue is with debug version from 4.1.2
I attached some project, it is placed in c:\MinGW\projects\hello_tst\
Errors with lost connection gdb<-> codeblocks recovered by rollback to older svn.

Here are the steps I took to duplicate your setup as closely as possible:
1. Downloaded CB_20070305_rev3665_win32.7z (the latest nightly at the time of your post) and wxmsw26u_gcc_cb_wx2.6.3p2AndCbPatch_version3.7z and extracted them to C:\bin\codeblocks
2. Created empty directory C:\mingw and extracted binutils-2.17.50-20060824-1.tar.gz, mingw32-make-3.81-1.tar.gz, mingw-runtime-3.11.tar.gz, w32api-3.7.tar.gz, and gdb-6.3-2.exe there
3. Removed references to my main MinGW installation from my PATH environment variable (as a result of which I also needed to copy mingwm10.dll to C:\bin\codeblocks)
4. Extracted "hello_tst.7z" to C:\hello_tst
5. Ran the newly installed nightly build
6. Went to Settings->Compiler and debugger, removed all paths in "Search directories" and changed "Compiler's installation directory" to "C:\mingw"
7. Opened C:\hello_tst\hello_tst.cbp (here I was informed that the project was in the older 1.5 format and would be upgraded to the 1.6 format)
8. Built the project with Ctrl+F9 (no errors, created hello_tst.exe)
9. Hit F8 to debug the program; no errors, exited normally with status code 0
As you can see, everything worked correctly for me.

Some thoughts:
- Using what was the latest nightly at the time of your post ("svn build  rev 3665 (2007-02-10 13:44:04)   gcc 3.4.5 Windows/unicode"), Code::Blocks informed me that your provided sample project's version was older than the current internal version, and updated it. Although I doubt this is the source of your problem, you should still try recreating your project from scratch, or at least saving it in the newer version.
- Did you overwrite any of the files from my GCC 4.1.2 with the files from the rest of the MinGW archives? If so, try re-extracting my .7z into your MinGW directory and overwriting files as necessary.
- Are all the paths and executables in C::B's compiler settings correct?
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline nenin

• Almost regular
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2007, 04:04:07 pm »
My projects are placed in
c:\mingw\projects\****
I reinstall everything (including last CB svn), gcc 4.1.2 was unpacked last (over refreshed GDB). Results are the same. I made a brand new project placed at c:\MinGW\projects\gdb_bugs01\*** (attached). I can not include binary- it is to big.
Problems with popup arises if I put a breackpoint before press F8. If there are no breakpoints, gdb running OK.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2007, 04:31:23 pm »
Problems with popup arises if I put a breackpoint before press F8. If there are no breakpoints, gdb running OK.
I'm still unable to reproduce this problem. Extracted gdb_bugs01.7z to C:\mingw\projects\gdb_bugs01, opened gdb_bugs01.cbp with C::B, hit Ctrl+F11 for a full rebuild, set a breakpoint at main.cpp:6, hit F8 to debug. Breakpoint was hit, everything worked as expected (I was able to step and continue), exited normally. This was all on my Win2k SP4 machine; I repeated the process on my WinXP SP2 machine and was still unable to reproduce the problem.

The message "Application popup: gdb.exe - No Disk : There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk4\DR6" seems to indicate that there is something unusual going on with your filesystem. Unfortunately I have no idea what it could be.
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline nenin

• Almost regular
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2007, 05:01:57 pm »
The message "Application popup: gdb.exe - No Disk : There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk4\DR6" seems to indicate that there is something unusual going on with your filesystem. Unfortunately I have no idea what it could be.
I`m afraid you are right. I probably must reinstall windows. I can not find any traces of \Device\Harddisk4\DR6 in registry.  :(

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2007, 05:18:25 pm »
Quote from: nenin
And I have a multy-card-reader with 4 letters.   
Quote from: nenin
I`m afraid you are right. I probably must reinstall windows. I can not find any traces of \Device\Harddisk4\DR6 in registry.

I used to have similar behaviour with Gimp on windows. As it turned out, it was a known problem. And I also had a multi-card reader installed at the time. Disabling that reader device solved everything.
That may spare you a windows re-install, maybe for nothing...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline nenin

• Almost regular
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2007, 05:26:40 pm »
I count numbers- it may be one of the slots in card reader. But! It has 4 slots, one is used...  :x  And- no problems with gimp... but the same with incscape.  :(

Yesss! It works! I disabled unused slots in cardreader and it works just fine!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 05:35:06 pm by nenin »

Offline Grom

• Almost regular
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2007, 08:00:53 pm »
Strange bug!!! How the gcc can be connected to the card reader :shock:
gcc+winXP+suse.

Offline nenin

• Almost regular
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2007, 09:00:16 pm »
I`m afraid in some very basic posix libraries exists something like "scan for drives" on initialization of the process.  In present case we have a stub, which works incorrectly. Because incscape has similar bug (but with only 3 popups- gdb makes about 10 on each run).

Offline gmiranda

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2007, 09:12:16 pm »
to sum up, could anyone explain the current state of gcc 4 for windows?

Offline nenin

• Almost regular
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2007, 09:15:05 pm »
For me it is 95% satisfaction. 5% are some issues with gdb (inherrited from beginning). I used mingw gcc 4 since Ceniza 4.* builds. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 09:16:52 pm by nenin »

Offline saddam le pion

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2007, 09:22:16 pm »
Strange bug!!! How the gcc can be connected to the card reader :shock:

Has this bug been reported to the gcc team?

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2007, 01:21:43 am »
to sum up, could anyone explain the current state of gcc 4 for windows?
The build I've provided may be used in exactly the same manner as the official MinGW GCC 3 builds. Bugs may exist in GCC 4 that did not exist in GCC 3, although there are certainly bugs that existed in GCC 3 that have been fixed in GCC 4.

MinGW does not distribute a build of GCC 4, and therefore your level of support in using it will be less.

MinGW's GCC 3 has, obviously, been used far more widely; therefore there will be some software designed to work "out-of-the-box" (no tampering required) with GCC 3 that will not do so with GCC 4. I have not discovered any such. Code::Blocks DOES compile out-of-the-box with GCC 4, and wxWidgets does as well with my build. The fact that as complex a program as C::B works without modification bodes well for GCC 4's compatibility with other code, as does the fact that object code produced by the 3.4 series can be linked with object code produced by the 4.0 and 4.1 series.

To sum up my summation, GCC 4 for Windows seems to be quite usable but not officially supported (except by me where possible); and even if you rely on a library that does not build with GCC 4, you can still build it with GCC 3 and link it with your own GCC 4 compiled code.

Has this bug been reported to the gcc team?
I believe it would be better to report it to the GDB team.

Offline nenin

• Almost regular
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2007, 04:30:43 pm »
To sum up my summation, GCC 4 for Windows seems to be quite usable but not officially supported (except by me where possible); and even if you rely on a library that does not build with GCC 4, you can still build it with GCC 3 and link it with your own GCC 4 compiled code.
Confirmed- I did it, all OK.
<****>
I believe it would be better to report it to the GDB team.
It is not presented in Ceniza gcc 4.* builds. Source of the bug is unclear.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 04:40:21 pm by nenin »

Offline Grom

• Almost regular
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2007, 06:21:37 pm »
Looks like should be a new chapter in CB web cite - mingw-gcc. Where will be new compilations of gcc. Original one mingw seems to be was dead.
gcc+winXP+suse.

Offline nenin

• Almost regular
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2007, 11:22:48 pm »
Looks like should be a new chapter in CB web cite - mingw-gcc. Where will be new compilations of gcc. Original one mingw seems to be was dead.
It is not dead,  it is a little slow.  :(