Author Topic: Where is my Qt4 directory?  (Read 14716 times)

Alaric

Where is my Qt4 directory?
« on: February 13, 2007, 12:09:31 am »
I've got Ubuntu 6.06 and I'm trying to learn QT programming and I'd like to do it with codeblocks.  I've got it installed, I'm pretty sure, because the QT designer works fine and I seem to have all of the include files.  I'm trying to use the wizard to program with Qt, but I can't find a qt directory with /lib AND /include.  They seem to be seperated, but I'm not sure.  The default path for my qt install dir in code::blocks $(#qt) doesn't seem to work either.  Where is my Qt4 installed? 

Offline JRM

• Single posting newcomer
Re: Where is my Qt4 directory?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 06:09:48 pm »
Ubuntu is redhat based, so I think I can help you, although I use fedora.

The best way to find stuff on your system is to start an xterm session.
Umbuntu has that "rootless" thing so do a sudo -i (I think) which should make the session root with root permission.

do a updatedb command. The drive will churn away for a few minutes while goes and find all the files and directories. when the prompt returns, type;

locate Qt
this will produce a massive list of Qt related places.

If you want to find the GUI execuatble, it lives in the bin directory.
so do a:

locate Qt | grep "/bin"

which should return the the path

I belive the executable for the GUI is Designer

Good luck.
I think it's unfortunate that someone like myself has to answer you rather than some of the more experienced "gurus" that should be luking here.

I have a Qt issue that I know someone with some REAL knowlege coulsd answer, but so far no one has.
I like codeblocks very much, but am disappointed by the lack of support this forum provides for REAL BUG issues.

Have you tried starting a Qt project in codeblocks on Ubuntu? You should have the same issues as I have had. It won't fly unless you do alot of modifications to the wizard script.
I got it to compile, but the xterm "run" output crashes.
 So far...no help on this,yet it is a known issue.

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 07:21:49 pm »
Ubuntu is redhat based,...
Wrong. Ubuntu is Debian-based.

As regards the original question, I can't really help except to say that, as with many other Linux packages, Qt probably isn't installed in any single place. Even if the headers are separate from the libraries, all that should matter is that you give C::B an include directory and a library directory.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 07:25:21 pm by TDragon »
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Alaric

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 08:01:29 pm »
Oh, just got an idea, what if I make another directory that has symlinks to the qt directories?  I don't think it asks me for individual directories, so i can't point it to different places. 

Offline JRM

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 08:48:51 pm »
[qoute]Wrong. Ubuntu is Debian-based.[/quote]

You are correct, but I think it owes some of it's lineage to Redhat, or at least that is what I thought.

None the less the information I posted should apply to debian as well. The sudo comand is correct for Ubuntu, which i have some limited knowledge of.

Rather than debating a minor mistake, I would rather have someone tell me how to fix the QT4 issues!!
The last hurdle I have is figuring out how the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable gets set for use with codeblocks.
It noticed that it is on the command line when "run" is invoked.

I could do a contribution to fixing this wizard/runtime issue if only if someone would step up and provide some "tech assist". I have most of it operational. It's just that doing a ldd on the binary object file tells me that dispite all my efforts the lib files for runtime in xterm can't be found.

I believe has something to do with xterm itself, since I cant compile a c++ with normal extentions unless i use g++ on the comand line instead of gcc. However if I invoke a shell command from an editor using gcc normally, it will work. The issue seems to be finding library paths from xterm. Nothing but a c compilation will work from xterm with gcc.

Weird, but true, and I belive this might be the problem with the output in codeblocks. What say you??

Offline yop

• Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 10:19:47 pm »
Well in ubuntu they are every where :)
Libs are in /usr/lib
Headers are under /usr/share/qt4/include (this is a symlink actually)
Binaries are under /usr/share/qt4/bin

Good luck on setting the project up on your own...
Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.