Author Topic: The 10 January 2007 build is out.  (Read 63081 times)

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: The 10 January 2007 build is out.
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2007, 05:37:08 pm »
cbexaminr:

Please verify that your path does NOT contain any thing that has cc1plus.exe in it. The minGW should be OK, but mine is NOT in my path because I run multiple minGW installs. The most likely cause will be cygwin being in the path.

Tim S
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline cbexaminr

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2007, 06:21:17 pm »
When I changed to the 2.6.3-1 version, I did not have to copy the setup.h, so that didn't apply to the second (main) attempt.

I'm not having the trouble building (2.6.3) wxwidgets...

I am still have the trouble building CodeBlocks, reaching the tinyxml target, as previously noted...

Any other ideas?

[edit]
sorry, I overlooked the request to check for cc1plus elsewhere, will do so...

checked, no it is not in my path....

I guess you're trying to narrow, but the problem I seem to be having appears somehow related to how codeblocks invokes ar.exe, or of a link (ld?) to build libtxml.a...  whatever does it, I'm not finding a libtxml.a created anywhere in the build tree...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 07:31:18 pm by cbexaminr »

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2007, 09:03:31 pm »
When I changed to the 2.6.3-1 version, I did not have to copy the setup.h, so that didn't apply to the second (main) attempt.

I'm not having the trouble building (2.6.3) wxwidgets...

I am still have the trouble building CodeBlocks, reaching the tinyxml target, as previously noted...

Any other ideas?

[edit]
sorry, I overlooked the request to check for cc1plus elsewhere, will do so...

checked, no it is not in my path....

I guess you're trying to narrow, but the problem I seem to be having appears somehow related to how codeblocks invokes ar.exe, or of a link (ld?) to build libtxml.a...  whatever does it, I'm not finding a libtxml.a created anywhere in the build tree...

My libtxml.a is created perfectly in the folder cbpath\src\sdk\tinyxml. Have you verified the Global variables by using "Settings" -> Global Varaibles
cb should point to cbpath\src
wx should point to wxpath for the correct installation.

Also, please turn on "Compile logging" by doing "Settings" -> "Compiler and Debugger" Tab "Other" Turn "Compile logging" to "Full Command Line".

Tim S
--

Offline cbexaminr

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2007, 12:55:24 am »
1) My global variables only contain the "wx", not any cb.  I tried adding it and making the base refer to cbpath\src, but I still get the same failure.

2)The output after enabling the full command-line logging:
ar.exe -r -s sdk\tinyxml\libtxml.a .objs\2.6\sdk\tinyxml\tinyxml.o .objs\2.6\sdk\tinyxml\tinyxmlerror.o .objs\2.6\sdk\tinyxml\tinyxmlparser.o .objs\2.6\sdk\tinyxml\tinystr.o
ar.exe: sdk\tinyxml\libtxml.a: No such file or directory
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 0 seconds)
0 errors, 0 warnings

3)When I execute the command part of above directly from the command prompt from which I invoked codeblocks, I get the same error (see 5 and 6)

4)ar --version:
GNU ar 2.13.90 20030111

5)Looking at the --help and the man page with my cygwin ar (which is a different version from the mingw), ****the format of the command does not appear to follow that outlined in the help/man page...

6)Playing around (lack knowledge of ar) from reading help, ****the command formed as:
ar.exe -rsc sdk\tinyxml\libtxml.a .objs\2.6\sdk\tinyxml\tinyxml.o .objs\2.6\sdk\tinyxml\tinyxmlerror.o .objs\2.6\sdk\tinyxml\tinyxmlparser.o .objs\2.6\sdk\tinyxml\tinystr.o

does create the archive, and going back to codeblocks, it goes on past tinyxml...

7)only to encounter the same "cc1plus.exe : unrecognized option -Winvalid-pch" for squirrel target, which I think I know how to deal with... but why am I getting it?  What version of gcc/cc1plus was it introduced in (I have several versions around, and tried at least one other with same results before)? [edit] (I keep not saving the project, and thus that switch comes back...)

8)After again removing -Winvalid-pch, compile squirrel modules, then have same issue creating squirrel library...

9)Is format of ar command technically correct?  (Apparently not for my version.)  What version of mingw/ar are you running?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 01:01:13 am by cbexaminr »

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2007, 01:57:44 am »
Under the codeblocks src folder search for files using *.gch and delete them these are precompiled headers one of them may be corrupted. I just had this happen today when I switched from one compiler to another ( mingw gcc 3.4.2 to 3.4.5)

Tim S
--

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2007, 02:04:20 am »
1) My global variables only contain the "wx", not any cb.  I tried adding it and making the base refer to cbpath\src, but I still get the same failure.

cb is needed for compiling the contrib packages.

2)The output after enabling the full command-line logging:
ar.exe -r -s sdk\tinyxml\libtxml.a .objs\2.6\sdk\tinyxml\tinyxml.o .objs\2.6\sdk\tinyxml\tinyxmlerror.o .objs\2.6\sdk\tinyxml\tinyxmlparser.o .objs\2.6\sdk\tinyxml\tinystr.o
ar.exe: sdk\tinyxml\libtxml.a: No such file or directory
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 0 seconds)
0 errors, 0 warnings

This can mean that it could NOT find ar.exe, please check your compiler path.

3)When I execute the command part of above directly from the command prompt from which I invoked codeblocks, I get the same error (see 5 and 6)

4)ar --version:
GNU ar 2.13.90 20030111

I get GNU ar 2.15.91 20040904 for my GCC 3.4.2 installation
I get GNU ar 2.16.91 20060119 for my GCC 3.4.5 installation

What do you get with GCC --version on the command line?

5)Looking at the --help and the man page with my cygwin ar (which is a different version from the mingw), ****the format of the command does not appear to follow that outlined in the help/man page...

6)Playing around (lack knowledge of ar) from reading help, ****the command formed as:
ar.exe -rsc sdk\tinyxml\libtxml.a .objs\2.6\sdk\tinyxml\tinyxml.o .objs\2.6\sdk\tinyxml\tinyxmlerror.o .objs\2.6\sdk\tinyxml\tinyxmlparser.o .objs\2.6\sdk\tinyxml\tinystr.o

does create the archive, and going back to codeblocks, it goes on past tinyxml...

7)only to encounter the same "cc1plus.exe : unrecognized option -Winvalid-pch" for squirrel target, which I think I know how to deal with... but why am I getting it?  What version of gcc/cc1plus was it introduced in (I have several versions around, and tried at least one other with same results before)? [edit] (I keep not saving the project, and thus that switch comes back...)

8)After again removing -Winvalid-pch, compile squirrel modules, then have same issue creating squirrel library...

9)Is format of ar command technically correct?  (Apparently not for my version.)  What version of mingw/ar are you running?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 02:06:06 am by stahta01 »
--

Offline cbexaminr

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2007, 04:50:19 am »
OK, if I get gcc 3.4.5 with ar 2.15.91, I get to at least scintilla before encountering problems - the "-Winvalid-pch" is apparently handled, and both the tinyxml and squirrel libraries apparently build.

But then i seem to be back to an earlier problem, where platform.h (wxwidgets 2.6.3) attempts to include wx/setup.h, and there is no setup.h at that level!!!  (A problem I had with earlier wxwidgets, then thought I didn't with the wxwidgets 2.6.3, but now apparently still do have.)

read rest if interested for rambling journey of what I've found so far...
--------------------------------
ar.exe was being found OK, because I got the same error from the command line as I saw in the CodeBlocks output.

gcc --version for the one I've been using reports:
gcc (GCC) 3.2.3 (mingw special 20030504-1)

which appears to be older than yours... I'll see what the other ones are - I've forgotten...

another gcc --version reports:
gcc (GCC) 3.4.5 (mingw special)

but the ar --version for both of these installations reports:
GNU ar 2.13.90 20030111

so, it appears my problem may be with the version of ar, as yours is apparently much newer...  I will pursue this...

But
1)Can someone do something about the two pages (one wiki, one forum) that have at least differences in the links for wxwidgets?
Also
2)My cygwin version of ar is closer to yours, but the cygwin man page does not show support for the command as its apparently being executed by codeblocks, nor does the --help output seem to support that for the older mingw versions I have...  But I guess its working for you, I will try to do something with mingw ar to see if I can make that problem go away...
3)Where were the instructions for setting cb variable (I didn't get to plug-in contributor instructions if thats where its mentioned)?  I've only seen mention of wx, which original project open prompted for...  (Although the instructions about what to feed it were unclear to me, had to play around a bit...)

...later...
found 3.4.2 gcc version, with ar 2.15.91 20040904 version, and still have same issues...

Which of the two versions you mentioned are you using?  Are you sure the 3.4.2 with ar 2.15.91 version doesn't fail for you also?

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2007, 05:45:49 am »
Both of my 3.4 versions work great, but it is NOT easy too get more than one copy of minGW to work on a single computer. minGW likes to look in the folder c:\minGW for most things and if that folder exists then it will use it when you don't want it to.

I would update the version of minGW using the new update tool (just release today) MinGW-5.1.3.exe.
I would use the default folder c:\minGW to do the install in.

Note: It is best to NOT use spaces in the patch to minGW. Mine is all under C:\apps\....

Note: To install more than one minGW you must delete the minGW reg entry. I use the reg file below.

Code
REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MinGW]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 05:47:55 am by stahta01 »
--

Offline cbexaminr

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2007, 10:30:58 am »

I would update the version of minGW using the new update tool (just release today) MinGW-5.1.3.exe.

MinGW-5.1.3.exe Released/available where?

(Don't see at:
http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml

nor at:
http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads.shtml)

[edit]
OK, found it at:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=82721&release_id=158801

But as I view it, it shows zero downloads, which would mean you haven't even tried it yet?  :oops:

ok, I just downloaded it, refreshed that page, and download count still shows zero - so I guess stats aren't totally live...

Have you tried MinGW-5.1.3.exe yet?

BTW, thanks for all the responses/help!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 10:38:54 am by cbexaminr »

Offline cbexaminr

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2007, 11:34:33 am »

The setup.h that is supposed to be used is in this path lib\gcc_dll\mswu\wx please remove the one you place at include\wx. Note, sometimes it is required to copy setup0.h to setup.h in folder include\wx\msw if the make of wxWidgets fails to create the file include\wx\msw\setup.h. The make should the copy that setup.h to
lib\gcc_dll\mswu\wx\setup.h. (at least this is how I believe it works from using wxWidgets)

Tim S

(...\lib\gcc_dll\mswu\wx does contain a setup.h)
Does all this mean that the "include" field of the global wx variable should be set to something like "<wxwidgpath>\lib\gcc_dll\mswu"?

OK, played more before posting.  Command line from recent attempt is:
mingw32-g++.exe -Wall -g -pipe -mthreads -fmessage-length=0 -fexceptions -Winvalid-pch -DHAVE_W32API_H -D__WXMSW__ -DWXUSINGDLL -DcbDEBUG -DTIXML_USE_STL -DCB_PRECOMP -DWX_PRECOMP -DwxUSE_UNICODE -D__WX__ -DWINVER=0x0400 -DSCI_LEXER -DLINK_LEXERS -DWXMAKINGDLL_SCI  -IC:\dlh\dev\wxwidgets\wxWidgets-2.6.3\include;C:\dlh\dev\wxwidgets\wxWidgets-2.6.3\lib\gcc_dll\mswu -Ilib\gcc_dll\mswu -IC:\dlh\dev\wxwidgets\wxWidgets-2.6.3\contrib\include -Isdk\wxscintilla\include -Isdk\propgrid\include -Isdk\wxscintilla\include -Isdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\include -Isdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src  -c sdk\wxscintilla\src\PlatWX.cpp -o .objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\PlatWX.o
sdk\wxscintilla\src\PlatWX.cpp:9:19: wx/wx.h: No such file or directory

1)How is the bold/no-italics part supposed to find anything?  It would mean that would have to be under the codeblocks source tree... correct?  Is the wx variable not being appropriately applied to that command line generation, at least for the part in bold/no-italics?
2)I thought "-I" could take more than one path, and tried to put both in the "include" field of the environment variable, and the results are shown above in bold/italics, but preprocessor still failed to find wx/wx.h (and it is there under <wxwidgpath>\include\wx)...
3)I've also tried it with just the single path in the "include" field of the wx global variable, and still get the same compilation results.

And all of this is after installing with mingw-5.1.3.exe... still using the 10-jan-2007 nightly of codeblocks...

to clarify:
<wxwidgpath>\include\wx does _not_ contain a setup.h

<wxwidgpath>\lib\gcc_dll\mswu\wx _does_ contain a setup.h
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 11:41:54 am by cbexaminr »

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2007, 12:45:12 pm »
Code::Blocks compiles if minGW is set up right and wxWidgets was compiled right.
So, Code::Blocks is NOT the issue, but its configuration can be.

I think you need to open up a command prompt and fix the issue with you having too many copies of the commands needed to compile C::B

GCC --version
AR --version
g++ --version

All error out on my setup, it is NOT the only way but it is the safest in my opinion.

You have to fix your PATH so it does NOT have any thing in it related to other GCC installations.

Tim S
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 12:50:04 pm by stahta01 »
--

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2007, 12:49:14 pm »
ok, I just downloaded it, refreshed that page, and download count still shows zero - so I guess stats aren't totally live...

Have you tried MinGW-5.1.3.exe yet?

BTW, thanks for all the responses/help!

Yes, I like MinGW-5.1.3.exe it is the first one that worked correctly in over a month.
It is possible the installer you used is a large part of your problem.

Tim S
--

Offline cbexaminr

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2007, 09:47:24 pm »
I don't doubt that you are building it.  But have you done so with the 10-jan-2007 nightly build???  Or done it again with your CVS-built version, which apparently isn't too different from 10-jan-2007 nightly yet? ( Following the instructions identified below as "most current observed"?)

1) Those last reported attempts were with an installation created by mingw-5.1.3.exe.

2) Unless 5.1.3 made changes earlier installs didn't, gcc, ar, and g++ are not in my path until I follow the instructions for compiling wxwidgets, which tell me to set path as c:\mingw\bin;c:\mingw\mingw32\bin, at which point I do only have the one version in my path.

3) The instructions at:
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Installing_Code::Blocks_from_source_on_Windows
go from compiling wxwidgets to opening the codeblocks project, so I move to my "nightly" installation and execute codeblocks.exe (all in same command prompt used to build wxwidgets), where I originally browsed to the source tree containing the project to open it, and but now just re-open it via recent projects menu items.

4) So, A)my mingw installation should be correct unless B)I'm _not_ supposed to have it in the path when codeblocks.exe is invoked...

5) So are there instructions other than the previous ones I've referenced that correctly tell how everything should be set up?  I believe I've correctly followed those instructions (although I had to fill in some holes where they weren't quite explicit enough, like some examples of how/which-of the cw global var dlg fields should be filled in, and with what (all absolute paths, some relative, or ?), and you've identified a cb global var not mentioned in the instructions [which I apparently haven't gotten far enough to need yet]).

instruction URLs repeated:
(apparently INcorrect one - http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=1701.0)
(most current observed - http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Installing_Code::Blocks_from_source_on_Windows)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2007, 09:53:19 pm »

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2007, 10:54:09 pm »
I2) Unless 5.1.3 made changes earlier installs didn't, gcc, ar, and g++ are not in my path until I follow the instructions for compiling wxwidgets, which tell me to set path as c:\mingw\bin;c:\mingw\mingw32\bin, at which point I do only have the one version in my path.

What directory did you install minGW into?
Unless it was c:\minGW, You must make sure that there is NOT an folder c:\minGW.

Now to test your installation of minGW is done so it will work right with C::B

open an command prompt using Start -> Run "cmd"

at the prompt cd to your minGW bin folder, by doing below if default installation folder used.
CD c:\minGW\bin
Type the following and record versions
mingw32-gcc.exe --version
mingw32-g++.exe --version
windres.exe --version
ar.exe --version
mingw32-make.exe --version

My results are the following
Code
C:\apps\MinGW\bin>mingw32-gcc.exe --version
mingw32-gcc.exe (GCC) 3.4.5 (mingw special)
Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

C:\apps\MinGW\bin>mingw32-g++.exe --version
mingw32-g++.exe (GCC) 3.4.5 (mingw special)
Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

C:\apps\MinGW\bin>windres.exe --version
GNU windres 2.16.91 20060119
Copyright 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.

C:\apps\MinGW\bin>ar.exe --version
GNU ar 2.16.91 20060119
Copyright 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.

C:\apps\MinGW\bin>mingw32-make.exe --version
GNU Make 3.80
Copyright (C) 2002  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

C:\apps\MinGW\bin>

Now CD to the root folder by doing
CD c:\

Type the following and record versions
mingw32-gcc.exe --version
mingw32-g++.exe --version
windres.exe --version
ar.exe --version
mingw32-make.exe --version

I get the following which is OK, you can also get the exact same results as what you did for the above test.

Code
C:\>
C:\>mingw32-gcc.exe --version
Access is denied.

C:\>mingw32-g++.exe --version
Access is denied.

C:\>windres.exe --version
Access is denied.

C:\>ar.exe --version
Access is denied.

C:\>mingw32-make.exe --version
Access is denied.

C:\>

What was your results for both tests?

Tim S

« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 12:43:17 am by stahta01 »
--