Author Topic: Cannot build wxWidgets 2.8.0 project using wxRichText  (Read 5738 times)

Offline three_minute_hero

• Multiple posting newcomer
Cannot build wxWidgets 2.8.0 project using wxRichText
« on: January 09, 2007, 07:26:38 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing some problems with C::B and wxWidgets library.
Everything is in the title: I cannot build wxWidgets projects using richtext and/or xml library. I'm sure the problem comes from my C::B's configuration, cause I even can't build wx's richtext sample, which can be build by a MingW make command.
When I try to build the richtext sample with C::B (using the unofficial modified wxWidgets wizard and including every libraries), I got the following error messages:

Code
C:\wx280\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw28ud_richtext.a(richtextlib_richtextbuffer.o)(.text+0x164df): In function `ZN16wxRichTextBuffer4InitEv':
C:/wx280/build/msw/../../src/richtext/richtextbuffer.cpp:4616: undefined reference to `wxCommandProcessor::wxCommandProcessor(int)'
C:\wx280\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw28ud_richtext.a(richtextlib_richtextbuffer.o)(.text+0x1ee64): In function `ZN17wxRichTextCommandC2ERK8wxString19wxRichTextCommandIdP16wxRichTextBufferP14wxRichTextCtrlb':
C:/wx280/build/msw/../../src/richtext/richtextbuffer.cpp:5903: undefined reference to `wxCommand::wxCommand(bool, wxString const&)'
C:\wx280\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw28ud_richtext.a(richtextlib_richtextbuffer.o)(.text+0x1efd4): In function `ZN17wxRichTextCommandC1ERK8wxString19wxRichTextCommandIdP16wxRichTextBufferP14wxRichTextCtrlb':
C:/wx280/build/msw/../../src/richtext/richtextbuffer.cpp:5903: undefined reference to `wxCommand::wxCommand(bool, wxString const&)'
C:\wx280\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw28ud_richtext.a(richtextlib_richtextbuffer.o)(.text+0x1f13e): In function `ZN17wxRichTextCommandC2ERK8wxString':
C:/wx280/build/msw/../../src/richtext/richtextbuffer.cpp:5908: undefined reference to `wxCommand::wxCommand(bool, wxString const&)'
C:\wx280\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw28ud_richtext.a(richtextlib_richtextbuffer.o)(.text+0x1f208): In function `ZN17wxRichTextCommandC1ERK8wxString':
C:/wx280/build/msw/../../src/richtext/richtextbuffer.cpp:5908: undefined reference to `wxCommand::wxCommand(bool, wxString const&)'
C:\wx280\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw28ud_richtext.a(richtextlib_richtextbuffer.o)(.text$_ZN9wxCommandD2Ev[wxCommand::~wxCommand()]+0xb): In function `ZNK9wxCommand7CanUndoEv':
C:/wx280/build/msw/../../include/wx/cmdproc.h: undefined reference to `vtable for wxCommand'
C:\wx280\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw28ud_richtext.a(richtextlib_richtextbuffer.o)(.rdata$_ZTV17wxRichTextCommand[vtable for wxRichTextCommand]+0x8):C:/wx280/build/msw/../../include/wx/cmdproc.h: undefined reference to `wxCommand::GetClassInfo() const'
C:\wx280\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw28ud_richtext.a(richtextlib_richtextstyles.o)(.text+0x2702): In function `ZN22wxRichTextStyleListBox12UpdateStylesEv':
C:/wx280/build/msw/../../src/richtext/richtextstyles.cpp:523: undefined reference to `wxVListBox::SetSelection(int)'
C:\wx280\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw28ud_richtext.a(richtextlib_richtextstyles.o)(.text+0x2931):C:/wx280/build/msw/../../src/richtext/richtextstyles.cpp:551: undefined reference to `wxVListBox::SetSelection(int)'
C:\wx280\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw28ud_richtext.a(richtextlib_richtextstyles.o)(.text+0x293c):C:/wx280/build/msw/../../src/richtext/richtextstyles.cpp:552: undefined reference to `wxVListBox::SendSelectedEvent()'
C:\wx280\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw28ud_richtext.a(richtextlib_richtextstyles.o)(.text+0x29a9): In function `ZN22wxRichTextStyleListBox17SetStyleSelectionERK8wxString':
C:/wx280/build/msw/../../src/richtext/richtextstyles.cpp:568: undefined reference to `wxVListBox::SetSelection(int)'
C:\wx280\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw28ud_richtext.a(richtextlib_richtextstyles.o)(.text+0x3392): In function `ZN22wxRichTextStyleListBox10OnLeftDownER12wxMouseEvent':
C:/wx280/build/msw/../../src/richtext/richtextstyles.cpp:696: undefined reference to `wxVListBox::OnLeftDown(wxMouseEvent&)'
C:\wx280\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw28ud_richtext.a(richtextlib_richtextstyles.o)(.text+0x33fa): In function `ZN22wxRichTextStyleListBox17OnLeftDoubleClickER12wxMouseEvent':
C:/wx280/build/msw/../../src/richtext/richtextstyles.cpp:705: undefined reference to `wxVListBox::OnLeftDown(wxMouseEvent&)'
C:\wx280\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw28ud_richtext.a(richtextlib_richtextstyles.o)(.text+0x39c4): In function `ZN22wxRichTextStyleListBox6OnIdleER11wxIdleEvent':
C:/wx280/build/msw/../../src/richtext/richtextstyles.cpp:776: undefined reference to `wxVListBox::SetSelection(int)'
C:\wx280\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw28ud_richtext.a(richtextlib_richtextstyles.o)(.text+0x49ca): In function `ZN25wxRichTextStyleComboPopup11OnMouseMoveER12wxMouseEvent':
C:/wx280/build/msw/../../src/richtext/richtextstyles.cpp:1028: undefined reference to `wxVListBox::SetSelection(int)'
C:\wx280\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw28ud_richtext.a(richtextlib_richtextstyles.o)(.text$_ZNK17wxVScrolledWindow7HitTestERK7wxPoint[wxVScrolledWindow::HitTest(wxPoint const&) const]+0x20): In function `ZNK29wxRichTextListStyleDefinition12GetClassInfoEv':
C:/wx280/build/msw/../../src/richtext/richtextstyles.cpp:37: undefined reference to `wxVScrolledWindow::HitTest(int, int) const'
C:\wx280\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw28ud_richtext.a(richtextlib_richtextstyles.o)(.rdata$_ZTV25wxRichTextStyleComboPopup[vtable for wxRichTextStyleComboPopup]+0x19c): In function `ZNK25wxRichTextStyleDefinition22GetStyleMergedWithBaseEPK20wxRichTextStyleSheet':
C:/wx280/build/msw/../../src/richtext/richtextstyles.cpp:64: undefined reference to `wxVScrolledWindow::ScrollLines(int)'
C:\wx280\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw28ud_richtext.a(richtextlib_richtextstyles.o)(.rdata$_ZTV25wxRichTextStyleComboPopup[vtable for wxRichTextStyleComboPopup]+0x1a0):C:/wx280/build/msw/../../src/richtext/richtextstyles.cpp:64: undefined reference to `wxVScrolledWindow::ScrollPages(int)'
C:\wx280\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw28ud_richtext.a(richtextlib_richtextstyles.o)(.rdata$_ZTV25wxRichTextStyleComboPopup[vtable for wxRichTextStyleComboPopup]+0x1d4):C:/wx280/build/msw/../../src/richtext/richtextstyles.cpp:65: undefined reference to `wxVScrolledWindow::Layout()'

.......................................... and a lot of others !!

Could anyone please help me ?

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Re: Cannot build wxWidgets 2.8.0 project using wxRichText
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 07:52:43 pm »
Libraries order?

Try moving libwxmsw28ud_richtext.a before libwxmsw28ud.a (or whatever it be called in your system).

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 09:21:49 pm »
Wonderful, It works like a charm!

How can you explain the importance of librairies order? Besides, I find quite unintuitive to put base librairies after high-level ones... don't you ?

Anyway, should I consider this like a bug and inform the unofficial wizard's development team ?

Thanks a lot !

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 11:16:17 pm »
Let's say it this way: if library A needs something from library B, that something will be "searched" in the following libraries, not the previous ones, so you need to put A first, then B. While this may not be an accurate definition, the basic idea is there.

In your case, wxmsw_richtext needs something from wxmsw, that's why wxmsw must go after wxmsw_richtext.

If that's a wizard's fault, inform it.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 12:01:28 am »
Understood! :)

The library inclusion was generated by the wizard, so I'll inform the team about it.

Thank you very much!

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 09:23:31 am »
The fact that linking order matters is nobody's fault. It's just how ld (gcc's linker) works. But if the project was generated by a wizard then that wizard could be updated to use the correct linking order ;).
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 11:00:22 am »
The fact that linking order matters is nobody's fault. It's just how ld (gcc's linker) works. But if the project was generated by a wizard then that wizard could be updated to use the correct linking order ;).

I've updated the build order. I'll post it after some more tests.
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.