Author Topic: Intro image  (Read 25366 times)

Offline Decrius

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Daevius
Intro image
« on: January 07, 2007, 07:23:34 pm »
Hi,

I've been creating a logo for CodeBlocks. Maybe you like it or not. Perhaps I should make it look like boxes (blocks), but this is my design:

Decrius
Check out my website: http://www.daevius.com

Offline PsYhLo

• Almost regular
Re: Intro image
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 09:23:05 pm »
nice
good work

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 04:32:00 pm »
A few points regarding splash screens in general:

Irregular shapes are bad. Alpha-blended borders are worse. My post-RC2 design used both, and we had a lot of trouble with it. While it looked gorgeous under Windows, Linux would not display it properly, and when we wrote a special implementation for Linux, MacOS would not do it...
Although alpha blending looks really cool I must admit it was a stupid idea in the first place.

Irregular shapes with masks allegedly work on most platforms, but not on all. They look a lot worse than alpha-blended ones, but still don't do the job everywhere and don't make up for the associated hassle (hacks to make them work on older Windows systems).

Shapes that can be constructed with CSG regions are better, but the only really acceptable ones are shapes that can be constructed from rectangles. That is because regions are not properly implemented on all platforms, and not all shapes are properly supported on all platforms. On platforms where regions don't work properly, we emulate them with clipping. This is one of the reasons why the current startup screen consists of a block-shape (which also reflects Code::Blocks in its design, again).

The placeholder for the revision number cannot be placed anywhere deliberately, as the revision number is really drawn by the application (not embedded in the image). It has to be in the same location, otherwise we need to modify the application code.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Decrius

• Daevius
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 09:47:46 pm »
Okay, well, this is my new design. Rect shape, no blending:

Hope you like it :P.

Decrius

Offline PsYhLo

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 10:27:47 pm »
good but not that good
current splash screen is better  :D

you've good a potential ;)

Angelo

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 10:33:59 pm »
And better use it, cause I'd like to see a new splash there :D (especially tango or crystal themed).

Fellas, I've got an idea! Shall I make a C::B splash && logo contest? dev's please reply.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 11:29:40 pm by Angelo »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 10:24:33 am »
Shall I make a C::B splash && logo contest? dev's please reply.
Actually no. I someone thinks he has made some picture he wants to share, that's one thing. But a contest is another thing. This is asking for changes. I don't think challenging people is fair if you don't have any real plans to really change something (which we don't have).

Some people will like the splash screen to have Mac-Style, some others want some weird "dark" style, whatever. Some people like crystal icons, others want "aqua" ones or what they're called. They're never all happy anyway, no matter what you do. No please don't ask us to make icons and start screens themable. :)

Please don't even think about a logo contest. While the splash screen may be disputable, the logo is certain not to be changed.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Decrius

• Daevius
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 03:04:49 pm »
@thomas

Okay, but how do you like the 2 designs? Good, bad, could be worse or im-going-to-send-hate-mails lol :P.

I can even make music, but that is not usable for this program lol ^_^

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 03:13:47 pm »
I can even make music, but that is not usable for this program lol ^_^
Why not, did you ever heard of the songs of OpenBSD?
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Offline Decrius

• Daevius
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 07:10:12 pm »
LOL, omfg.

Angelo

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 10:23:17 pm »
Sorry, my mistake in english syntax.
I mean something like a child-side, with all splash screens created by the community, and maybe special icon sets. Could we somehow change splash and icons with a resource editor ?

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 02:55:44 pm »
Okay, but how do you like the 2 designs? Good, bad, could be worse or im-going-to-send-hate-mails lol :P.
Number 1: Looks original. The wobbly variant of the blocks logo is a very cool idea. What I don't like too much is the title's font and colour as well as the all-black background.
Number 2: Looks weird, don't like at all. Makes me think of the writings they have on the walls in a kindergarden.

Could we somehow change splash and icons with a resource editor ?
You sure can, for example using PE Resource Explorer. However, that's of course unsupported, and you get no guarantees that we won't change icon IDs or add/remove icons in the future.

Angelo

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 03:09:28 pm »
So I'll wait. But when can I expect changed c::b icons ? Ofcoz I know that the main thing is to fix every bug in  c::b...
By the wat I have asked few days ago, without any result ->how can I disable creating *.layout and *.depend files?

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 03:40:31 pm »
how can I disable creating *.layout and *.depend files?
... Download the source, change it, and recompile? Why do you want to disable creating those files?
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 03:46:27 pm »
Could we somehow change splash and icons with a resource editor ?

You don't need a resource editor for that. All resources are in <install folder>/share/codeblocks/images...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Angelo

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 08:25:53 pm »
Nice, so you can expect some 'theme' for c::b soon ;)

------------
I've attached tango (16x16) icon set for toolbar, but for unknown reasons it doesn't worked under my win xp :/

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 09:11:08 pm by .angelo »

Offline Charon

• fnord
    • charon - where mental illness meets chronic nonsense
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 10:35:37 pm »
since i would love different icons too i am really interested in this.

i use tango-icons on my ubuntu laptop and have a tango-icon-set installed on my XP machine so a matching Code::Blocks would be quite nice.

just for a test i replaced a few 22x22 icons in "codeblocks\share\CodeBlocks\images" and restarted Code::Blocks.
well, i couldn't see any changes. after some more investigation i found resources.zip which also contains every toolbar icon. i removed resources.zip but extracted the *.xrc before doing so. Code::Blocks still starts normal but still with the old 22x22 icons.

now i have two questions about this :
1. why are there icons in resources.zip and in codeblocks\share\CodeBlocks\images ?
2. did i overlook something or why aren't my new icons showing up anywhere?

(this all with a clean install of yesterdays nightly build (svn 3464) on WindowsXP)

thanks in advance
Markus

[edit]
just tested this with a 16x16 icon -> same result, i don't see my new icon
[/edit]

[edit2]
mh, i feel stupid now. i still had resources.zip in the folder so my new icons couldn't show up.
*but* : resources.zip has all the toolbar icons in 16x16 and 22x22 in it. replacing them in the images-directory has no effect for me. removing the images from resources.zip results in Code::Blocks not being able to load any toolbar-image.
this is just a really wild guess, but could it be possible that this has to do with some of the current problems with icons (buttons not changing state, wrong icon in find&replace) because WxWidgets gets a little bit confused?
[/edit2]
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 10:48:50 pm by Charon »
hi, i am a signature virus. please copy me into your sig!
Wish list : no root-node for workspaces, open files and symbols; world domination

Angelo

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 02:36:27 pm »
I can't change any icons, by the images folder or via the resource editor. any ideas?

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 09:43:47 am »
I can't change any icons, by the images folder or via the resource editor. any ideas?

Ok, I haven't looked in it for quite a while now, but I believe that the actually used images can be found inside <install_folder>/share/codeblocks/resources.zip.
Be patient!

Angelo

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 03:43:10 pm »
Yeah mandrav, you're right. But... in my opinion it's messed up :)
in resources.zip you've got another resources folder, it's duplicated, despite of this, instead of resources.zip file, there's a images in the CodeBlocks directory, which contains the same images like in resources.zip...
What do you think about it ?

Above - modified icons.
http://angelo.xt.pl/daily/resources.zip
http://angelo.xt.pl/daily/compiler.zip

I started a new topic for thoose icons.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 11:17:12 pm by .angelo »

Offline Charon

• fnord
    • charon - where mental illness meets chronic nonsense
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2007, 03:49:41 pm »
lovely  :D

would love to have this as the default or atleast the possibility to change icons without modifying ressources.zip
hi, i am a signature virus. please copy me into your sig!
Wish list : no root-node for workspaces, open files and symbols; world domination

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 03:53:13 pm »
n resources.zip you've got another resources folder, it's duplicated, despite of this, instead of resources.zip file, there's a images in the CodeBlocks directory, which contains the same images like in resources.zip...
What do you think about it ?

Yes, it needs a little cleanup...
Be patient!

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 08:35:34 pm »
hehe, I remember I filled a bugreport about it  :twisted: (as a note on another bug) ...