Author Topic: New Forum Suggestion  (Read 7651 times)

Offline BigAngryDog

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • BigAngryDog.com
New Forum Suggestion
« on: January 06, 2007, 11:42:53 pm »
I have a suggestion:

Would it be possible to have a "General Programming Forum" for C::B users? I know that this is a C::B discussion board, but I spend more time on this forum than any other. There shouldn't be any obligation for CB developers to answer questions--it could be left to users.

Does anyone think it's a good idea or not?
BigAngryDog.com

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: New Forum Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 12:48:48 am »
If the idea of a new forum is NOT acceptable, how about a single thread on Programing resources on other sites?
Tim S
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Phatency

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 04:11:30 am »
I know the busiest developers don't really care about answering general programming questions alongside all of this real codeblocks stuff, but some of us really have the time for that. On the bright side, all those questions, which seem to be coming to various boards anyway, are directed to one board which you can simply ignore. (I think it would boost the friendly community -factor even more, when the new programmers aren't shoved away.)

Offline Maciek

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 05:21:55 am »
I think it's a good idea. Now programming questions appear all over the place. It would be much easier if they were placed in one subforum. This way they will be both easier to find and ignore, so everybody will benefit from that.

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 07:26:49 am »
I'm not that sure about the "ignore" part. If such a board got created, moderators should really need to pay attention to it, even if they were not planning to answer the questions (with moderators being some developers).

Adding a board to ask and get answers to general programming questions would be nice, of course, but it just does not fit here, and there's a few good boards around already, but in other sites.

Adding a "Resources" link to the main page pointing to a list of helpful forums could be of some help, without interfering too much with this site's purpose, but I'm not that sure someone (a developer I suppose) would like to take care of that list. I cannot decide it... I'm not even suggesting it... I'm just giving an opinion.

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
    • Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 05:41:48 am »
I think it's a good idea.  :shock:
C::B Wishlist
~BOYCOTT THE EVIL YELLOW BOXES~

Offline joubertdj

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 07:47:41 am »
 :) It has my vote... will also try and answer some of the questions!

[EDIT] Suggest the following changes:

User forums -> C::B User Forums
Developer forums -> C::B Developer Forums

Add a new one -> Programming Forums (Non C::B)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 08:26:59 am by joubertdj »

Offline Phatency

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 08:24:42 am »
I'm not that sure about the "ignore" part. If such a board got created, moderators should really need to pay attention to it, even if they were not planning to answer the questions (with moderators being some developers).
Simple solution: new moderators for that board (for example, me!).

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 04:02:20 pm »
It is not only just a matter of caring to answer or moderating. It is also a question of responsibility, manageability, and lastly, money.

Yiannis (the owner of this domain) is an EU resident and as such under EU law which states that he is responsible and can be held liable for content that other people post on this forum without his consent.
To avoid legal consequences, offensive posts must be removed within adaequate time. This, by the way, is the reason why we rigorously delete any messages that are not in English.
Recent (2005-2006) precedence cases have had matters in controversy on the order of 10s to 100s of thousands Euros. Although the according EU norminative is ridiculous (and the respective national implementations even more so), it is nevertheless the law. Still, judges are uncertain, and while most of the precedence cases were turned down, the general unpleasantness of such a trial is still inacceptable.
Therefore, Yiannis obviously cannot and will not put that responsibility into the hands of some random person on the internet whom he does not know. Even though I enjoy "Administrator" status here, I doubt Yiannis would even trust me that far. If anything goes ill, it will be him who is held responsible, nobody else.
Thus, while moderators can somehow help managing the chaos, he still has to skim over each and every post using the "unread posts since your last visit" function.

If we open a "general programming" forum, we will triple or quadruple the amount of posts on this forum (that is probably still a very optimistic estimate), which will be impossible to handle.

If the number of posts increases, the amount of server load and bandwidth increases, as well. We may soon have to get a better server already (under the current load), as the present server is already reaching peak load and getting unreachable at times.
This is a privately founded, privately run project with limited resources, and so we need to concentrate on the parts that we're really, really interested in, nothing else.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline cstudent

• Almost regular
    • Cstudent's Help Desk
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 05:07:18 pm »
We all love and admire Mandrav.  :)  Thomas, your post made me want to give a little donation to help with some of the expenses. But when I click on the donate button on the CodeBlocks homepage, it takes me to a sourceforge page and the PayPal donation looks like it is going to be made to sourceforge. I stopped before I committed a payment. Is this donation page still good? I was expecting to see it made directly to a codeblocks.org address.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 06:05:45 pm »
Thomas, your post made me want to give a little donation to help with some of the expenses. But when I click on the donate button on the CodeBlocks homepage, it takes me to a sourceforge page and the PayPal donation looks like it is going to be made to sourceforge. I stopped before I committed a payment. Is this donation page still good? I was expecting to see it made directly to a codeblocks.org address.

Yes, the page is good.
Thanks for the feedback though. Especially donations shouldn't be confusing to make ;).
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline cstudent

• Almost regular
    • Cstudent's Help Desk
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 06:51:33 pm »
Yes, the page is good.
Thanks for the feedback though. Especially donations shouldn't be confusing to make ;).

Thanks Mandrav. I just wanted to make sure the donation was going to CodeBlocks. A little contribution towards your expenses is on it's way. :)

Offline Phatency

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 12:38:32 am »
Okay, at least you got me convinced, mandrav :P

Offline joubertdj

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 06:34:03 am »
What is the current server's specifications? Hardware/Software? Can we know this without security issues?

Angelo

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 10:27:13 am »
Ok, let's make a clean-up here.
In C::B devs child-forum, is many posts, refering only to the some code issues, or compiling errors.
I though that it's only for developers or the community ideas.

We should make here a forum section called: "Codes and issues" or something similiar, and "Community ideas".

It would make a think quite easier.
I know that devs have'nt much time for this, so I'd like to advice, that the most reliable person, would take care about forum, and make here a little clean-up.
I could be a moderator too, but I'm nto as trust, as some other users.