Author Topic: Little scroll bar bug  (Read 3574 times)

Offline Decrius

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Daevius
Little scroll bar bug
« on: December 28, 2006, 09:50:30 pm »
Hi,

I have the latest version with the nightly builds, and I noticed a bug.

When my text is too long and it actually is longer than the screen (so the screen will scroll with you, while typing), and I'm typing at the end of the line, its all okay.

But when the line is already long, and I typ somewhere in the middle of that line, so it will get longer, the scroll bar isn't getting smaller, and when I scroll totally to the right, I still have to click the right button next to the bar in order to see the last part of the line.

Oh yes, while testing it if it was really true, I found another bug. When I keep one key pressed, CodeBlocks CPU is 99 to 100! Maybe add a command line with one millisecond waiting or something :).

Decrius
Check out my website: http://www.daevius.com

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
Re: Little scroll bar bug
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 08:49:27 am »
Oh yes, while testing it if it was really true, I found another bug. When I keep one key pressed, CodeBlocks CPU is 99 to 100! Maybe add a command line with one millisecond waiting or something :).

'Magic' waits are about the worst thing you can do.  What needs to be done if figure out why Code::Blocks (and partly Scintilla) likes to hog so much CPU when typing.  I now have a faster computer so I don't notice it much, but it does use quite a bit.  Even Eclipse has smoother typing on the same machine and its written in Java and uses GTK underneath just as Code::Blocks does, so there is definitely something wrong.  I have done profiling but came to the conclusion that pango seemed to be the largest culprit, but I am not sure.

Offline Decrius

• Daevius
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 10:29:16 am »
I have an AMD Athlon 64 2800+   and if I keep one key pressed, the characters don't display smooth but it has little waits and than displays 3 chars, shocky/flashy, if thats an english work ^^.

Why is waiting ms's so bad? I admit, it should be prevended rather than using it, but how bad is it?

Decrius

EDIT: When I move the scrollbar very very fast left and right, my CPU gets to the 100 too ^^,
Check out my website: http://www.daevius.com

Offline hckr83

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 03:37:01 am »
EDIT: When I move the scrollbar very very fast left and right, my CPU gets to the 100 too ^^,

that probably happens in every application.. their are some things that just take a lot of cpu to do..cept for their usually in small bursts