Author Topic: Few minor quirks that get in the way  (Read 11618 times)

Offline kfs1

• Multiple posting newcomer
Few minor quirks that get in the way
« on: December 06, 2006, 08:28:09 pm »
Wondering if anyone can help me work around these or if I should report them as bugs/wants:

1. What's the opposite of ctrl-capslock? I can't find it, having a zoom out shortcut with no (obvious) zoon in shortcut is kinda annoying.

2. The function-call parameter tool tip is great unless you type something that triggers auto-complete which cancels the tooltip.

3. When using horizontal split view, ctrl-z always focuses the bottom window while ctrl-y focuses the top window.

4. I really miss being able to have two different files displayed at once; I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this with CB (its what I thought split view would do)

5. Our version control system (Source off Site) uses Read Only to indicate an unlocked file. Code Warrior and several other IDEs tell you this and let you unlock the file; I like the read-only implementation in C::B but am wondering if I can't make it ask me if I want to unlock files when I try to edit a Read Only file that belongs to me...

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Few minor quirks that get in the way
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 08:47:46 pm »
At least two points I can offer:
4. I really miss being able to have two different files displayed at once; I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this with CB (its what I thought split view would do)
This isn't possible (supported) for various reasons.

5. [..]if I can't make it ask me if I want to unlock files when I try to edit a Read Only file that belongs to me...
Correct me if I'm wrong, bit I believe it isn't as simple as to set the read-only flag to inform about being an editor. IMHO this requires a call to the repository and not only un-setting the read-only flag as this is a pure local functionality. How should others be informed than that you are the editor then? I believe you would have to implement a call to *your* version control provider for this file. A simple plugin can do.

With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline dje

• Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 09:02:38 pm »
Hi !!

1. What's the opposite of ctrl-capslock? I can't find it, having a zoom out shortcut with no (obvious) zoon in shortcut is kinda annoying.
Have a look at Settings/Editor, then click on Keyboard shortcuts on the left column.
You can then set your shortcuts to the zoom in/out functions.

I miss this feature too. Really sad not being possible, but I understand the difficulty as the notebook has been chosen instead of the classic MDI model.

Dje

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 09:20:04 pm »

Is it ever planned?  For users with widesceen monitors or multiple monitors this kind of criples CB.  The tab switching sort of covers for it, but not totally.

Offline kfs1

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 09:32:41 pm »
5. [..]if I can't make it ask me if I want to unlock files when I try to edit a Read Only file that belongs to me...
Correct me if I'm wrong, bit I believe it isn't as simple as to set the read-only flag to inform about being an editor. IMHO this requires a call to the repository and not only un-setting the read-only flag as this is a pure local functionality. How should others be informed than that you are the editor then? I believe you would have to implement a call to *your* version control provider for this file. A simple plugin can do.

With regards, Morten.

Why the file is read only isn't actually relevant, I'm just saying that it would be nice to have an option to let me make files writable when I try to modify a file that is read-only. (But since I mentioned it, I actually run their GUI client on a separate desktop to check out files when I need to, but sometimes I want to edit a file without checking it out; e.g. add a quick debug statement or something)

There are also a number of other times where you might come across a read-only file that you want to edit; if you copied code from the CD of a book onto your local disk to try out, for instance.

Offline kfs1

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 09:42:04 pm »
Have a look at Settings/Editor, then click on Keyboard shortcuts on the left column.

Is that perhaps a plugin or something? I'm not getting anything like that with the Nov 30 16:22:59 build. See attached image.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Belgabor

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 09:44:56 pm »

Is that perhaps a plugin or something? I'm not getting anything like that with the Nov 30 16:22:59 build. See attached image.

Yes. It seems to be included with the nighlies as I've never downloaded an external one :)
Btw. I currently run SVN 3315.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 09:46:42 pm by Belgabor »

Offline dje

• Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 09:47:48 pm »
Keyboard shortcuts is its name  :wink:.

Offline orefa

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 09:55:41 pm »

Ctrl+NumLock

Offline kfs1

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 10:11:52 pm »
Yes. It seems to be included with the nighlies as I've never downloaded an external one :)
Btw. I currently run SVN 3315.

That's what mine reports too; I'm basically running the build that comes with FedoraCore 6 and regularly updating it. Could it be a quirk of their build that its not there?

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 10:43:00 pm »
the keybinder plug-in --> check plugins->manage plugins menu to see if it is installed and activated

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 10:52:43 pm »
I miss this feature too. Really sad not being possible, but I understand the difficulty as the notebook has been chosen instead of the classic MDI model.

We use a notebook for various reasons. One of them is that in all non-windows platforms the MDI style is emulated with a notebook. So what do you think? Have MDI for windows and notebooks for other platforms? I don't think so. We strive for C::B to behave identically under all supported platforms.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline kfs1

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 10:55:00 pm »
It's listed as "Keyboard Shortcuts" under Manage Plugins, but it doesn't appear under the Plugins dropdown (1.0.1 2006/10/27) , and its not listed in the category panels on the lefts ide of Settings >> Editor, Settings >> Environment or Settings >> Compiler and debugger.

Offline kfs1

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 10:59:07 pm »

We use a notebook for various reasons. One of them is that in all non-windows platforms the MDI style is emulated with a notebook. So what do you think? Have MDI for windows and notebooks for other platforms? I don't think so. We strive for C::B to behave identically under all supported platforms.

Why are single-document-notebook and MDI the only two options?

As per my original comment, I anticipated that splitting the view would allow me to view two documents at once. But I only got that expectation after doing a split - I expected to be able to change which file one half of the split (at least) was showing.

What is the complexity in making it so that if you split a window - lets say horizontally - the bottom part of the split stays viewing the file it is viewing, but the top half is then controlled by the file tab.

Likewise for a vertical split the panel corresponding to the handedness of the locale (so left hand except for right-to-left handed languages) would be controlled by the tabs.

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 11:01:06 pm »
It's listed as "Keyboard Shortcuts" under Manage Plugins, but it doesn't appear under the Plugins dropdown (1.0.1 2006/10/27) , and its not listed in the category panels on the lefts ide of Settings >> Editor, Settings >> Environment or Settings >> Compiler and debugger.

it's normal that it does not appear in the plugins dropdown, but it should be in Settings->Editor, this is weird ??

could you try a recent nightly ?